C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 UPP Twin Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Black8Banger
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. I think 1000rwhp should be reachable as well. My limiting factors will likely be the clutch/transmission. I would like to upgrade to an RPS triple but that just wasn't in my budget right now. The car will likely live 98% of its life in the 700-800hp range for street driving. I would only turn it up for 1/2 mile events. I say that now until I get used to 700-800rwhp.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Black8Banger
Thanks. I think 1000rwhp should be reachable as well. My limiting factors will likely be the clutch/transmission. I would like to upgrade to an RPS triple but that just wasn't in my budget right now. The car will likely live 98% of its life in the 700-800hp range for street driving. I would only turn it up for 1/2 mile events. I say that now until I get used to 700-800rwhp.
You'll get used to it quick. Trust me on that one, lol.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:06 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

1000RWHP is easily reachable with this kit.... just need to make sure your lower end can support it

I just had a customer pick up a kit for his LS7 447CI which is already making 850+ with a YSI.. he's looking at 1000+rwhp

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvet...turbo-kit.html
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Last edited by TPSMak; 10-26-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Torque Obsessed
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

Great thread so far. I'm half tempted to just follow your path instead of reading the instructions when I install my kit...
Old 11-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Black8Banger
Racer

Alright, I was able to make some progress this weekend. The new up/down pipes came in last week from UPP. I test fit the driver side on Friday night and it fit great! I was able to work on the car some Saturday and some Sunday. By the end of the weekend, the entire hot and cold side piping was complete. There are a few things left on my to-do list: connect the oil feed lines (1 appears too short right now), mount the external fuel pump/connect the lines/run the wiring, mount the oil scavenge pump/connect the lines/run the wiring, relocate the battery to the trunk, run the vacuum lines and then fill it with fluids! I'm sure there are a few other things I am missing but those are the major items. Once it is running and has a base tune, Ill add the methanol kit and boost controller.

Here are some pictures:

Driver Side

Passenger Side

Driver Side Clearance

Driver Side Cold Piping

Driver Side Cold Piping

Driver Side Cold Piping

Passenger Side Cold Piping

Passenger Side

Driver Side

Passenger Side

I used the zip-ties to hold the piping in place while mocking everything up, but I ended up keeping them since it did keep the piping in place quite nicely. I'm happy at this point with the install. I think if I had to do it all over again, I could make it cleaner but this works just fine.

I am going to leave the fenders, bumper and hood off the car until it is broken in and tuned. If I need to adjust or check anything I want it to be as easy to access as possible.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:02 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Driver Side Cold Piping

I think your fender pipes are too low you might rub, on my kit the tab is above the fender liner
Attachment 48350997
Old 11-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Black8Banger
Racer

Interesting. I'll take another look at mine. Do you have any pics of where the piping passes under the headlight?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:17 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Interesting. I'll take another look at mine. Do you have any pics of where the piping passes under the headlight?
I don't think I do but let me take a look later tonight
Old 11-08-2016, 04:47 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The welded flat tab goes on top of the inner fender well for extra support and to keep from rubbing on the wheel.

-josh-
The following users liked this post:
SBCGENII (11-20-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:05 AM
Black8Banger
Racer

I took my driver side apart last night and got the fender pipe fitted with the tab on top. I honestly don't see how that works. The part of the pipe that goes forward (under the headlight) goes through just barely. It looks to be a complete PITA to get the coupler on, much less tighten the coupler. I have tried it with the headlight raised and lowered. Also the 90 degree pipe that comes off the turbo to the fender pipe...no way it works with that fender pipe up top. I will have to cut the pipe if that truly is the way the fender pipe is supposed to go.

Blackmachdown, I can see your pipe off the turbo is far shorter on the end where it meets with the fender pipe.

I am going to mess with it more this weekend. I may even put it back the way I had it originally, put the wheels and tires on and drop it on the ground and see if it rubs.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:40 PM
TheBandit18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about clocking the turbo a little more (cold side) to where it's farther down which might bring the piping back. Yours looks higher up than blackmando
Old 11-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Umm Josh. WTF? Lol

All you had to say was I want my car back.

Last edited by Z06PSI; 11-20-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Black8Banger
Racer

It has been quite a while since I updated this. CK sent me a new set of cold side pipes, they fit ok but I made them work. I still has issues with the tab not being able to get above the fender liner. No biggie, its zip tied with plenty of clearance.

I finished installing the fuel system, wiring, oil lines, etc. I have had more hiccups along the way with this build than I would have liked but in the end, I got it all done. A friend was able to do a start up tune for me and we fired her up with open down pipes last Thursday evening.

We had to deal with some fuel leaks but that's all. The car is now at a shop getting the final tune plus a list of other items I wanted addressed. I am also debating on a TR6060 swap but we will see how it works out.

Either way, I hope to have some numbers and be driving the car in the next month or two. Honestly, if I could do it all again, I could either buy a car already done or drop it off with the shop I took it to and have them do a custom twin turbo kit. I will definitely be able to tell you guys just how well the 6182R UPP turbos do since we are going to turn it up as high as it will go!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:11 PM
TheBandit18
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks hopefully I don't have as many problems!!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 PM
FMX05
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll see how itchy your boost controller button finger gets after we make a few pulls with you on wastegate.

I'm ready to see this thing on the road and I think it's in very capable hands now.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Bump for updates?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Black8Banger
Racer

The car is still at the shop. They are re-doing the hot side piping because neither of us could get it to match up close enough to connect to the exhaust without stressing the flex couplers so that's taking some time. I also ended up picking up a ZR1 6060 trans and diff so they will be swapping out my built mn12/rpm diff for the 6060 setup.
I'm hoping it will be done in a couple weeks!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 UPP Twin Turbo Build

Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

The car is still at the shop. They are re-doing the hot side piping because neither of us could get it to match up close enough to connect to the exhaust without stressing the flex couplers so that's taking some time. I also ended up picking up a ZR1 6060 trans and diff so they will be swapping out my built mn12/rpm diff for the 6060 setup.
I'm hoping it will be done in a couple weeks!
Lol. Minus the 6060 your old yellow Vette has the same setup. Want me to ship it to you?
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

The new up/down pipes came in last week from UPP. I test fit the driver side on Friday night and it fit great!
The car is still at the shop. They are re-doing the hot side piping because neither of us could get it to match up close enough to connect to the exhaust without stressing the flex couplers so that's taking some time.
What happened? I thought you had it all mounted up on there already?

-CK
Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Black8Banger
Racer

CK, I thought it was close enough that it would work but it ended up being easier to just modify the piping. I think there was also too much stress on the flex coupler. It could be the point where the up pipe bolts to the frame that is throwing everything off slightly...hard to say. I simply got tired of messing with everything and since it was going to need to go to a shop for tuning, I decided to let them take it over. They are also going making a plate to go between the passenger side turbo and the computer to give some separation as well as solid mounting locations for the computer/wiring. I also had to have them make a cover over the intercooler/intake piping since I could not get the one in the kit to work. Hopefully it will all be done soon and finally on the road. We are adding CO2 on the waste gates as well so I'm very curious what kind of power it will make!

Quick Reply: C5 UPP Twin Turbo Build