C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/ cam question with sts turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Vetteforplay
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust/ cam question with sts turbo kit

I have a 97 vette with h/c/I. I'm looking at putting an sts twin turbo kit on. I'm running tsp long tube headers with off road x-pipe. Can I keep the headers on or should I put my stock manifolds back on? The cam that I have is a Howards Asa cam 226/236 .525 lift 110 lsa and I don't know if this cam will work with boost. I'm only looking at running 8 to 10 psi. I'm kinda new the the forced induction so any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I will always try and run stock manifolds on a turbo setup. They support plenty of power and won't leak or crack.
Instead of doing a sts kit I would have a custom rear mount built with a 76/75 turbo or a A&A kit.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:52 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Since you already have the headers, you could keep them if you wrap them [radiate a lot of heat] but TBO they wont do that much for you. You could sell longtubes to offset the kit cost and go with stock manifolds. I run stocks, stage 2 engine will have SS shorties
I dont think that cam would be a good choice for rear mounts. Too much LSA and duration. It will be a dog until it spools up. Comp makes a couple grinds specificly for rear mounts with a reverse [I>E] pattern
If you can get the Long deal on a used STS kit go for it.Mine has worked out well, very drivable. But if you are looking for ultimate power or lowest cost look elsewhere. A turbo setup will be more costly and nicele and dime you to death.The STS installlation is complex but will save a lot of fabrication. However, invest in a turbowerks return pump from the go. Be aware that the turbo type and size varied with what was available. Last I heard STS had gone **** up.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Vetteforplay
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
Since you already have the headers, you could keep them if you wrap them [radiate a lot of heat] but TBO they wont do that much for you. You could sell longtubes to offset the kit cost and go with stock manifolds. I run stocks, stage 2 engine will have SS shorties
I dont think that cam would be a good choice for rear mounts. Too much LSA and duration. It will be a dog until it spools up. Comp makes a couple grinds specificly for rear mounts with a reverse [I>E] pattern
If you can get the Long deal on a used STS kit go for it.Mine has worked out well, very drivable. But if you are looking for ultimate power or lowest cost look elsewhere. A turbo setup will be more costly and nicele and dime you to death.The STS installlation is complex but will save a lot of fabrication. However, invest in a turbowerks return pump from the go. Be aware that the turbo type and size varied with what was available. Last I heard STS had gone **** up.
Thanks for the information. I'm getting the sts kit for what I think is a pretty good deal and it has stage 3 turbos with it. I wasn't sure about the headers cause I heard a lot of people use stock manifolds but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have all my stock exhaust from my car but do you think it would be any better if i got a set of z06 manifolds? I was kinda already thinking about changing the cam so now might be a good time I just read that they went under also but the original owner bought it back and is planning on starting it back up.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:17 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think youd be hard pressed to tell a difference in this application between LS1 and LS6 manifolds.
"Stage 3" is a nebulous term to define turbos.As always it will come down to housing size, A/R ratio, ect. Keep in mind bigger isnt always better, especially when it comes to rear mounts which seem to be even more finicky about sizing. Before you buy the kit, get the details on the specs and check with a knowlegeable person. Replacing the wrong sized turbos with quality units [and BTW if they are heathen Chinese knockoffs, run]can make what seems like a good deal a pig in a poke.Also, make sure you check the turbos for signs of blown seals. The early kits were notorious for scavenge pump failures leading to ruined seals that will rain oil. Later kits used two pumps.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust/ cam question with sts turbo kit

Quick Reply: Exhaust/ cam question with sts turbo kit