C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS modeling software

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:51 AM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default LS modeling software

l'm posting in Tech Thread...

Anyone monitoring this thread that has experience with modeling software? I used the early version of Desktop Dyno for several years with the small block Chevy and it worked fine. I wasn't as much interested in pinpointing a torque or horsepower number as I was seeing a general torque curve for various cams/heads in street engines. I'm a believer of a long flat torque curve for the street

Then I tried it for my first LS1 engine and it just didn't work. The software couldn't handle the LS design as it had not been programmed to do so. It generated far off numbers. So, my question is do you have experience with more modern software packages than can accurately model the LS engine? What are your experiences and what package did you use and what are your suggestions? The latest version of the old original Desktop Dyno that I was using is version #5 and although it's been updated I'm not sure if it handles the LS properly.

I don't want to spend a huge amount for a onesie or twosey use of package so I am looking for reasonably priced and accurate for the LS.

Before someone jumps in and tells me that modeling software is trash I can tell you from experience that it works, is reasonably accurate and is especially helpful in modeling various combos like heads/cam and for choosing the best (based on desired usage) cam for a given combo. It's a better predictor than a wild a** guess or what Homer down the road or on the net put in his car. OK, now that discussion/debate is avoided.

I realize a lot of people are going to the cam designers for cam selection which is great but I enjoy "rolling my own combo" to convince me I'm going in the right direction. Of course, once I feel like I have a good combo nailed I would next talk to a good tuner for input.

So, anyone with any info on modeling software please speak up.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Try Engine Analyzer Pro. I think you can use it in a demo mode for a while.

The following users liked this post:
BURL (07-17-2016)

Quick Reply: LS modeling software