C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharging Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:34 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Supercharging Questions

So I have some supercharger related questions concerning a newly added A&A System on a C5.

Squealing Noises: I also have a rotational on and off squeek coming from the supercharger thats annoying. The belt is tight and its only doing it at idle I believe but then again...when I hit the gas the charger is so loud...who knows.

Loudness: Would a different BOV quiet down the charger? The guy who put the kit on told me he went with the "louder" BOV. Never even checked with me first. The charger is fairly quiet when just at idle but when I get on it, its really annoyingly loud...the hissing and high pitch whine honestly is so loud my nice exhaust note is completely drowned out. Car has headers with high flow cats and Corsa Touring Exhaust. My ears have been ringing for days.

Powerband: I can feel the power come on but it isn't really noticeable until 3800rpms on up. Its running the recommended 3.6 pulley that comes with it. I was afraid of this before buying and went for a couple of rides in cars with Procharger setups (all I could find) and those felt stronger down low. This sound normal?

60lb Injectors are too much? My tune is not perfect either. My tuner said the kit that came with 60lb injectors is like 2X too much injector for my LS1 car. Said this universal injector should of never been used? Also said the car is reading the injector like its 72lb because of the bar level that it reads it at. Tuner did his best to get the injectors to work the best he could. Car runs fine except for a slight stumble every now and then (noticeable more upon deceleration or going down a hill and with cruise control on especially). Only time I notice anything other then that is after a spirited run..the car smells afterwards....its loading up, running rich and dumping fuel into the cats I believe. I saw the laptop while we were tuning. The low rpm range was off a tad but still no bad cells, middle was off worst with a few cells popping up red and the upper rpms seemed to be on good but still the car smells like rotten egg afterwards. No detention though...so that's good. What is the recommended injector size for a stock LS1 motor with just upgraded Brian Tooley Dual Springs for a supercharged car?

Thoughts?

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-11-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 PM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Post a vid of the noises. Sounds like your tuner is in way over his head. 60# injectors are about perfect for supercharged ls1. You need a new shop.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBCGENII:
95rtturbo (08-15-2016), HardcoreABN (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 PM
jallen355
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sub'd
Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Sounds like something is off. What kit? I thought you had a A&A v3 Si. That kit is quiet, the blow off valve noise should only effect when you get out of the throttle (whoosh). But I'm no expert.

Last edited by Forcedvert; 08-11-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by SBCGENII
Post a vid of the noises. Sounds like your tuner is in way over his head. 60# injectors are about perfect for supercharged ls1. You need a new shop.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 PM
HardcoreABN
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

yea, some specifics of your build too would be good.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

2002 Manual 6 Speed
Stock LS1 Block
Upgraded to Brian Tooley Dual Springs w/Titanium Retainers
Comp Trunion Upgrade Kit
A&A V3si blacked out supercharger
Corsa Touring Exhaust w/high flow cats
LG 1 3/4 Headers
McLeud RST Dual Clutch

Not sure what blow off valve is on the car. As told...the installer decided upon himself to put a louder one on the car. I hear the wooosh when shifting but the supercharger is just loud in general anytime you are into the throttle. Hmm let me rephrase that....the supercharger has made the exhaust a lot louder and the note itself is different. I can't really determine if the charger itself is physically producing the noise or if its the exhaust. Just the whole car/engine/exhaust is much louder when getting on it. At idle you can't really tell too bad. My father commented on it so I know its not just my overly sensitive ears. I forgot something at his house and had to come back. He was outside and said he heard me coming back. Car has a jet turbine kind of sound to it. The entire exhaust note has changed since the charger was added. Not sure if that is normal or not. Car originally had a very nice metallic throaty sound to the exhaust with even an occasional popping noise upon deceleration. I loved it. People swore when I revved it I had a cam or something. Now the car just whistles, no throatiness at all, and the sound is very flat. No popping noises either upon deceleration.

I'll get the video(s) up hopefully by end of today.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Babymogul
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In for answers
Old 08-16-2016, 12:48 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I think I talked with you over the phone last week about this car. I still recommend you find a more experienced LS shop and get a 2nd look at that tune. Just by the fact the "tuner" thought 60# injectors were too big and couldn't get the drivability to be like stock means move on to next tuner.
You might even have cats clogging up now and that might be the whistle you hear at full throttle. Also that combo of parts should rip up the street and pin you back in the seat as soon as you floor it in the right gear.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@AandASuperchargers
I think I talked with you over the phone last week about this car. I still recommend you find a more experienced LS shop and get a 2nd look at that tune. Just by the fact the "tuner" thought 60# injectors were too big and couldn't get the drivability to be like stock means move on to next tuner.
You might even have cats clogging up now and that might be the whistle you hear at full throttle. Also that combo of parts should rip up the street and pin you back in the seat as soon as you floor it in the right gear.
100% agree. I have 98lb injectors that drive damn near stock. When I was on 60's they were dead on. Time to get another look....
Old 08-17-2016, 04:06 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

If you hate all the tshing the BOV makes you can eliminate it by piping it into the air intake doggle.
It's called recirculating.
All you get then is a small chirp from the blast of air hitting the turbine.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:54 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry it took me a while to post up the videos...and Josh yes it is me you have been talking to. You have been an excellent help and hopefully this will all get ironed out soon enough.

Here are the videos. It just might be normal the sound but figured I would ask. Oh and my apologies for using the word "fan" too much hahah.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:50 AM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Squeek could also be the result of pulleys not being aligned properly. Need a lazer tool to make sure of this.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:04 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot to add. The squeek noise does it after it is sitting cold, once it warms up after 10-15 mins it seems to go away.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:05 PM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Belts!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SuperVetteC5
Belts!

it's brand new including the belt that came with it?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Pulley alignment problem causing belt to squeal

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharging Questions

Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

As others have said, that is not a normal sound. Pulley alignment or could be a bad tensioner as the cause. If there was no squeal prior to the SC install and there is a squeal now, chances are alignment is off.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The squeak is from either 1) belt alignment or 2) worn tensioner / worn idler pulleys. The whoosh is normal....
Old 08-26-2016, 11:14 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,576 Likes on 663 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
So I have some supercharger related questions concerning a newly added A&A System on a C5.

Squealing Noises: I also have a rotational on and off squeek coming from the supercharger thats annoying. The belt is tight and its only doing it at idle I believe but then again...when I hit the gas the charger is so loud...who knows.

Loudness: Would a different BOV quiet down the charger? The guy who put the kit on told me he went with the "louder" BOV. Never even checked with me first. The charger is fairly quiet when just at idle but when I get on it, its really annoyingly loud...the hissing and high pitch whine honestly is so loud my nice exhaust note is completely drowned out. Car has headers with high flow cats and Corsa Touring Exhaust. My ears have been ringing for days.

Powerband: I can feel the power come on but it isn't really noticeable until 3800rpms on up. Its running the recommended 3.6 pulley that comes with it. I was afraid of this before buying and went for a couple of rides in cars with Procharger setups (all I could find) and those felt stronger down low. This sound normal?

60lb Injectors are too much? My tune is not perfect either. My tuner said the kit that came with 60lb injectors is like 2X too much injector for my LS1 car. Said this universal injector should of never been used? Also said the car is reading the injector like its 72lb because of the bar level that it reads it at. Tuner did his best to get the injectors to work the best he could. Car runs fine except for a slight stumble every now and then (noticeable more upon deceleration or going down a hill and with cruise control on especially). Only time I notice anything other then that is after a spirited run..the car smells afterwards....its loading up, running rich and dumping fuel into the cats I believe. I saw the laptop while we were tuning. The low rpm range was off a tad but still no bad cells, middle was off worst with a few cells popping up red and the upper rpms seemed to be on good but still the car smells like rotten egg afterwards. No detention though...so that's good. What is the recommended injector size for a stock LS1 motor with just upgraded Brian Tooley Dual Springs for a supercharged car?

Thoughts?
Rotten egg smell sounds like a melted cat. Are you running high flows? The squealing is most likely belt alignment. I had similar issues except my belt was shredded in the process of drag racing. I drove the car home, hearing an odd sound the entire way. I changed the belt, which took me a while, and then went out on the street and got on it and the belt shredded a 2nd time. A costly proposition in terms of time and $$. The fix: grinding down the back of the pulley that sits off the alternator, so that it is flush against the alternator. This way the belt is lined up properly. No more torn belts or squeak sounds. You could check yours by taking a straight edge or just by looking to see if the belt sits in the middle of each pulley the way it should. Since it is an aftermarket pulley, you could also compare it to your stock pulley (If you still have it) and note any difference. But the best way is to check the alignment of your belt on each pulley.

Quick Reply: Supercharging Questions