C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm smoking at idle UPP Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:46 AM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I'm smoking at idle UPP Kit

Hey Guys,

I had another thread where I discussed my car smoking at idle and heavily under boost. Well I just had some -10 bungs welded on each valve cover and have those running to my MMS catch can and the big puff of smoke that would come when I hit boost has gone away, but the car still smokes at idle.

Here's what the car has:
02 z06 with UPP base kit at 7psi with the ceramic coated pipes
BTR Stage 2 Turbo cam with BTR springs
Melling 10296 high volume pump
c5r chain
SD Tuned

Now let me describe the issue in more in detail:

If the car is cold, i.e. sitting over night, the car does not appear to smoke. It is only when it gets up to operating temps.

When it is at operating temp, the smoking is just visible enough to see it standing behind the car.

If Im driving it around normally or if I have been stomping on the go fast pedal, it will smoke more and it can be seen from inside the car creeping around the back end (smoke isn't actually seen inside the car just can see it when sitting in it). If Im stopped at a light I can usually see a small puff as soon as I start to drive away. After a few mins this will clear up and the smoking will go back to just being visible when standing behind the car looking at the pipes.

It is coming evenly out of both tail pipes so I dont believe it is an issue of a bad turbo seal unless both went out at the same time. But this kit was just put on the car and has only about 100 miles on it.

The car runs smooth and it MOVES.

Any good ideas out there?

Thanks!

Last edited by Brice Peters; 08-18-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Been reading more about possible problems. Going to pull plugs this weekend and do a compression check and leak down test if needed. If they are the valve stem seals will that show up on any of these tests?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:39 PM
0CK@UPPCOS
Former Vendor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brice Peters
Been reading more about possible problems. Going to pull plugs this weekend and do a compression check and leak down test if needed. If they are the valve stem seals will that show up on any of these tests?
No valve stem seals won't show up on there, but those usually make smoke on startup as the oil pools down the seals.

Check the shaft play in your turbos (up/down and in/out) to see if there is excessive shaft play. Also check to make sure there is no kinks in your oil return line. 99% of smoking issues we see like this is a blockage or failure to evacuate the oil from the turbos fast enough, causing a backup into the turbos which then leaks past the seals.

Pull both down pipes and look where they connect to the turbos, if they're wet right there chances are there's a problem with either the turbos or the oil return from the turbos. If not, chances are there's an issue inside the engine.

CK
Old 08-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Awesome, thanks for the tips CK. I will check these out this weekend. Before the turbos went on I checked them for shaft play and they seemed nice and tight. Do you know what would cause the oil to not escape fast enough out of the turbo besides a kink? With this pump im seeing on average about 15 or so higher psi of pressure. I know theres a lesson somewhere about pressure versus flow, but this wouldnt cause the turbos to back up would it? The amount of oil coming to the turbo is the same regardless of pressure, is that right? The pump is advertised as higher volume, does that affect it?

Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm smoking at idle UPP Kit

Quick Reply: I'm smoking at idle UPP Kit