C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thicker head gasket option (small bore) ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Any thicker head gasket option (small bore) ???

Well well well, i will ask a **** load of question/thread during the next week since i gotta take my engine out(4th time in 3 years) to finally have one that work correctly.Right now bad ring gap so im catching 1/2 quart of oil in catch can for every 200 miles I really need all your help so lets begin.

While im there i ll ditch the BAP/hotwire and will run a loonie twin pumper(already got it ).Will also ditch the 3.8 pulley put a 3.6 (already got it) to get roughly 10.5-11 psi of boost to break the 700whp mark.
Will also install a Quicktime SFI bellhousing( for my own safety), some link bar Johnson lifter(will make a thread) , hellfire ring(will make a thread) and all new bearings(will make a thread).

See sig for basic info.But for the fact im at 11:1 CR with PRC Stage 2.5 cnc ls6 head(799), wiseco flat top -3cc . Im going to try avoiding milling the head since they got really low mileage to keep the same CR...

But if they ever need to be milled, is there any head gasket that are thicker than the stock GM MLS 12498544 ???

Thanks
Eric

Last edited by always faster; 10-21-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:41 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Pretty sure Cometic will have that in various thicknesses.
The following users liked this post:
MVP'S ZO6 (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:27 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by always faster
Right now bad ring gap so im catching 1/2 quart of oil in catch can for every 200 miles I really need all your help so lets begin.
Too bad.

How bad it was? I mean the ring gap?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:29 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

What is your current ring gap?

BTW cosmetic makes a gasket in any thickness you want.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:11 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you would be better off opening up the chamber a bit rather than going with a thicker gasket to maintain as much quench area as possible.
Then again, Im pretty old school and the idea of that much boost and compression scares me.I came up in an era of carbed, low compression turbo engines.Still somewhat new to the LS,injection and EEM world
Old 10-22-2016, 10:38 AM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

With aluminum heads and chamber design fuel injection in today's engines they don't need to limit static compression as much as those old skool engines.

I belive it's still important to pay attention to quench distance even on most of the FI combos I see around here.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 10-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:03 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Pretty sure Cometic will have that in various thicknesses.
Dont know why i didnt think about it, they dd make some .060/.066/.075 and even more in small bore application.

Thanks

Last edited by always faster; 10-22-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:10 PM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles

How bad it was? I mean the ring gap?
Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
What is your current ring gap?
Dont even know the ring gap yet because motor is still in the car...Need to first buy all the parts and regain motivation because im just tired of all this.

-Stock short block let go because of a bad/craked oil pump from the past owner.From what i saw, the timing chain broke and smash the oil pump.Last owner did a cheap job by replacing the chain but not the pump.I only saw it when i did my g5x3 cam, replace the pump but this engine did miss some oil pressure so it let go.
-First short block last less than 200 miles because of a bad crank.2 main where a couple of thousand oval so it eat the crank bearings and the block...loss oil pressure...
They build me another one on warranty but i just dont know if the build qualiy was there....

Short block was built by TSP 3 years ago. I told them that it would only be N/A(kinda max effort) and would never see any boost.So i guess they adjust the ring gap in consequence...

Now 1/2 quart every 200 miles and when i did some testings (capping some vent from my catch can) the dipstick pop in high rpm...

Last edited by always faster; 10-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any thicker head gasket option (small bore) ???

Quick Reply: Any thicker head gasket option (small bore) ???