C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

***HELP, Burning thru Plug Wires***

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 08:03 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Default ***HELP, Burning thru Plug Wires***

I believe cylinder #7 driver side towards the back, car started popping(back firing) during idling in traffic, very embarrassing. I investigated and only had wires under 6 months ago. Autozone golds, supposed to replicate OEM's, they replaced them under lifetime warrenty, but getting tired of replacing them. Any thoughts advice Thanks in advance. I also have the fireproof sleeve over them.

PS, Also had MSD 8.5 mm and did the same thing.

Tried searching different opinions, Taylors and accel look good, any thoughts.

My car pushing about 10lbs of boost 700 hp @ motor.

Last edited by corvet786c; 11-14-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:43 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been using accel ceramics for a while now with success. They can literally be in contact with the primary and with the ceramic boot, it doesn't matter.

With remote coils I wouldn't recommend as the wire resistance is a bit higher. Also, about 30% of the time the terminal end will rip out of the boot when removing. I don't worry about this though because the msd wires are extremely sensative, and easy to damage when removing. You're not going to burn through one from heat. I don't use socks over them, even with the turbo manifolds.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:29 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS99
I've been using accel ceramics for a while now with success. They can literally be in contact with the primary and with the ceramic boot, it doesn't matter.

With remote coils I wouldn't recommend as the wire resistance is a bit higher. Also, about 30% of the time the terminal end will rip out of the boot when removing. I don't worry about this though because the msd wires are extremely sensative, and easy to damage when removing. You're not going to burn through one from heat. I don't use socks over them, even with the turbo manifolds.
OK, sounds like something I need then. Thanks
Old 11-23-2016, 01:13 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

They work good RE: heat. Just don't ever take them off the plug. I repaired several but they always come off again. Accel doesn't sell the terminals on that side, so they can sell more wire sets.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:16 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
I believe cylinder #7 driver side towards the back, car started popping(back firing) during idling in traffic, very embarrassing. I investigated and only had wires under 6 months ago. Autozone golds, supposed to replicate OEM's, they replaced them under lifetime warrenty, but getting tired of replacing them. Any thoughts advice Thanks in advance. I also have the fireproof sleeve over them.

PS, Also had MSD 8.5 mm and did the same thing.

Tried searching different opinions, Taylors and accel look good, any thoughts.

My car pushing about 10lbs of boost 700 hp @ motor.
How close are your wires to the exhaust etc ? Are there major clearance issues ?

Sometimes fireproof sleeves just turn into ovens making things worse. Clearance is your friend here.

Firecore make good leads

Get notified of new replies

To ***HELP, Burning thru Plug Wires***

Quick Reply: ***HELP, Burning thru Plug Wires***