C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License plate intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:11 AM
Dirty Dog
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
Default License plate intake

I'm currently in the middle of swapping in a boosted/intercooled LS3.
Is there any real benefit to cutting out the front plate area and installing one of those grilled covers?
By real, I mean something with proof, like dyno testing or track numbers. Not a Butt-O-Meter reading (as carefully calibrated as I'm sure everyones Butt-O-Meters are....).
Old 11-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

No real world proof here but I believe that any way you can get more cool air onto the intercooler/radiator will have a positive impact. Being a bottom breather, the C5 doesnt have the best cooling in that area.

I have the bumper cutout and Ill be notching my crash bar for even more flow. I plan to get the TS front to create even more front breathing.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:37 PM
Dirty Dog
Instructor

Here's my thinking.
As you say, the C5 is a bottom breather, which means it's been engineered to channel a smooth flow of air up and in. Now, when you chop open the front, it's going to allow more air in, but at a significantly different angle.
That means where the two currents intersect there is going to be significant turbulence. Which could well lead to LESS actual air flowing through the intercooler.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:37 PM
jallen355
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I still don't understand how this modification would bring more air to the radiator. There is a plastic "shield/duct" in front of the radiator and behind the front crash bar that connects to the bottem of the front bumper cover and goes to the top (essentially over) the radiator and would, therefore, negate airflow to/through the radiator. That's how the "bottom feeder" reference comes from. Allowing air in through the frt license plate hole would only allow air to enter and flow up the backside of the "shield" to the engine compartment on the opposite side of the radiator/condenser. You might get more air into the engine compartment and/or a CAI, but not through the radiator. What am I missing?
Old 11-25-2016, 10:48 PM
Dirty Dog
Instructor

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that this obstruction will be removed during the intercooler install.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:53 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
That means where the two currents intersect there is going to be significant turbulence. Which could well lead to LESS actual air flowing through the intercooler.
Uhh... you have this problem no matter what you do.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that this obstruction will be removed during the intercooler install.
yes this part is removed.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:50 PM
jallen355
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bill mcdonald
yes this part is removed.
I just got an A&A kit. I haven't even unboxed it yet, much less installed it. But according to what I'm reading in the install instructions the plastic shroud is replaced by 3 pieces of sheet metal that still box in the airflow from the bottom lip of the bumper cover to the bottom of the front frame member (bumper) and would restrict airflow just like the oem plastic shield. Maybe I'll see something different after its installed, but right now I see no way for air from the license plate area to reach the FMIC, condenser. I'm not trying to argue, understand. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe other kits, or even older kits different?

Old 11-27-2016, 07:59 PM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jallen355
I just got an A&A kit. I haven't even unboxed it yet, much less installed it. But according to what I'm reading in the install instructions the plastic shroud is replaced by 3 pieces of sheet metal that still box in the airflow from the bottom lip of the bumper cover to the bottom of the front frame member (bumper) and would restrict airflow just like the oem plastic shield. Maybe I'll see something different after its installed, but right now I see no way for air from the license plate area to reach the FMIC, condenser. I'm not trying to argue, understand. I'm just not seeing it. Maybe other kits, or even older kits different?

never said that.... I was speaking about aero. The intercooler pulls air from the bottom front. Over the intercooler, the straight into the ac condenser and radiator. He would still have this "aero" problem of air coming in from the front.

There is another piece that goes from the crash bar on the nose and over the radiator. This kind of acts like the stock radiator shroud, while you have that intercooler in there like a shroud in a shroud.

I removed the front cover on my intercooler and made 1" thick aluminum braces that go across the top and bottom the hold the sides in place. I then made a crude shroud form the plate to the intercooler really quick and tried that out. This involed removing the nose and cutting some of the crash foam away and took up a whole weekend. I had issues with the front dam on the intercooler. One day I will rebuild it to something that fits better, well i was starting on it, but other things got in the way...

You are correct with your description. This aluminum shroud does block air from the plate. So it had to go.

Last edited by bill mcdonald; 11-27-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To License plate intake

Quick Reply: License plate intake