C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true ??? Oil consumption with stroked ls1...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 11:52 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Is it true ??? Oil consumption with stroked ls1...

After reading some archive i read in some places that a ls1 stroked to 383ci ( 4 inch stroke) will always use more oils because the piston skirt is going out further of the wall cylinder ...Thats why some shop doesnt recommand putting a blower on those kinda of setup.

Is it true ???

Getting ready to take my motor out to change the ring because it use 1/2 quart every 125 miles.I dont wanna go back to a 346 and rather wait and built something like a 402 or maybe a forged ls3 .

Thanks
Old 11-27-2016, 11:56 AM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Nothing wrong with a 346 and a blower. Lots of guys have made 1000 with it. You are making power because of boost not because of the 37 extra cubes.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Gm went to 5.9 in length piston liners in the ls7 due to the 4 inch stroke. It's the only ls block with the extended liners. It's also the only ls block with a the 4 inch stroke. Make of it what u will. But I know gm has the best engineers so I'll be sending my block to ERL for its super deck upgrade as I'm stroking a ls6 to four inch stroke along with ls7 rods which are marginally shorter than stock and after market rods. ERL liners are 5.8 inches. Stock is 5.6 ish. Not dumping 15k or thereabouts and have to worry about having issues with.

All that said its been done many times. Roll your dice.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I'll agree that the piston geometry gets worse with the increased stroke, using the 6.125 rods, but I haven't noticed any issues with a properly built 4" stroke motor. That includes motors with short cylinders. I won't argue the short cylinders aren't as good as the extended ones. Nobody worth their salt will.

Offering products from A&A Superchargers, East Coast Superchargers, Mechman Alternators, Mantic clutches, RPS clutches, Kooks Headers, Lakewood, LG, Brian Tooley Racing, Comp Cams, FAST, ARP, UPP Turbo systems, Wiseco, Callies, K1, MAST Motorsports, Haltech and many more. PM me for details.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:59 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by silver408z
Nothing wrong with a 346 and a blower. Lots of guys have made 1000 with it. You are making power because of boost not because of the 37 extra cubes.
Your right nothing wrong but i like more cubes and high compression.It makes the car fun to drive even in the stop and go city driving.My choice and opinion

So If im keeping my v3 si to 12 psi, what should i build ???

ls2 402, ls3 416 , sleeve 434.

Its my 4th engine and i would like a stupid turnkey with all the correct parts, correct valve geometry and setup for boost.Easy to tune and city driving...So i could forget it and drive the car.I was close to the 700whp mark and while im there it would be fun to hit the 800whp.

Thanks

Last edited by always faster; 12-01-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:18 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Man your beating a dead horse. Most of these guys have told you the possible issues. But I've had several 383 LS1's that didn't burn oil and a ton of 346's that didn't. That is going to be the exact same issue even if you build a 402 or 416 they don't longer cylinder liners to support the piston to minimize the piston rocking, so if you think its going to be bad to build a 383 for that reason, then the 402 and 416 should be off your list as well. 800 is easy with FI on any of those CI so just pick what you want and build it. If cost is a factor then the 346 will be the most cost effective route. And if your 346 burns oil, its cause something is worn or even possibly broke like a ring land. Hope my rant helps you lol!

Last edited by inspector12; 12-01-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:26 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by always faster
Your right nothing wrong but i like more cubes and high compression.It makes the car fun to drive even in the stop and go city driving.My choice and opinion

So If im keeping my v3 si to 12 psi, what should i build ???

ls2 402, ls3 416 , sleeve 434.

Its my 4th engine and i would like a stupid turnkey with all the correct parts, correct valve geometry and setup for boost.Easy to tune and city driving...So i could forget it and drive the car.I was close to the 700whp mark and while im there it would be fun to hit the 800whp.

Thanks
The bigger the engine, the less boost you are likely to see. So you would need to change pullies to try and retain 12psi of a smaller engine was making 12psi.

Make power goals, not boost goals.

If staying with a relatively mild build and low boost....go for the 416 or 434. It'll just make more power and torque everywhere more easily.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:31 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the input

I ve decided to keep my base since it would be too much $$$ to start over again.I will keep the same block, crank, rods,pistons,heads, cam.

Im a canadian (Quebec) where would be the best place to ship my long block to have it properly refresh/rebuilt(new bearings everywhere,new jonhson lifters, all new gasket and ring fixed ???

Thanks

Last edited by always faster; 12-03-2016 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:19 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for all the input

I ve decided to keep my base since it would be too much $$$ to start over again.I will keep the same block, crank, rods,pistons,heads, cam.

Im a canadian (Quebec) where would be the best place to ship my long block to have it properly refresh/rebuilt(new bearings everywhere,new jonhson lifters, all new gasket and ring fixed ???

Thanks
Always best do do it locally if possible. Where are you located exactly? Quebec City ?
Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 AM
always faster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Always best do do it locally if possible. Where are you located exactly? Quebec City ?
South shore of Montreal.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:38 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

South shore of Montreal.
I am in Montreal also. Currently dealing with a new guy for engine stuff and I feel confident he is going to work out great. I will know better soon as I just dropped him some heads to do. If you like I can put you in touch with him.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it true ??? Oil consumption with stroked ls1...

Quick Reply: Is it true ??? Oil consumption with stroked ls1...