C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger cam selection

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Supercharger cam selection

Going with the AAcorvette kit on the z06 I plan to buy in Jan or Feb. I have a question about cams for a centri style supercharger. Do they tend to behave like NA cams? Im asking about driving manners. I have had baby cams all the way to the TRex so I know what I want, I just dont know if it will translate the same way with a blower set up.

My favorite NA cam was a custom 235/242 110 LSA. I know that lsa wont work very well with a blower and if I use a 235/242 115 or 116 lsa NA it would be a turd down low. Would the blower make up for the lost power down low? I plan on stick with the stock 3.42s the Z06 came with.

I leaning towards a 228/232 115 lsa but wanted opinions and thoughts.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:05 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd love to know where people are finding all these turds down low. How could a large V8 with a blower in a light chassis ever be a turd ?

It's just nonsense.

If you want a specific cam....for whatever reason, just go with that cam. Unless it really is a diabolical choice, it will still give excellent results everywhere.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I'd love to know where people are finding all these turds down low. How could a large V8 with a blower in a light chassis ever be a turd ?

It's just nonsense.

If you want a specific cam....for whatever reason, just go with that cam. Unless it really is a diabolical choice, it will still give excellent results everywhere.
If you read my post, I said my my old cam would be a turd down low on a 115 or 116 lsa NAThe ls gen 3 is hardly a larger v8 at 346 cubes. I've driven v8s with boost and some of them didn't have any go until 3.5k. Cam selection is very important to how a motor behaves. That's why I'm asking for peoples opinion.

Last edited by Podium; 12-06-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:53 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Cubes will dictate power down low more than cam choice.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:59 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
If you read my post, I said my my old cam would be a turd down low on a 115 or 116 lsa NAThe ls gen 3 is hardly a larger v8 at 346 cubes. I've driven v8s with boost and some of them didn't have any go until 3.5k. Cam selection is very important to how a motor behaves. That's why I'm asking for peoples opinion.
In no way shape or form would it be a turd, even more so because you have a blower.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:44 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
Going with the AAcorvette kit on the z06 I plan to buy in Jan or Feb. I have a question about cams for a centri style supercharger. Do they tend to behave like NA cams? Im asking about driving manners. I have had baby cams all the way to the TRex so I know what I want, I just dont know if it will translate the same way with a blower set up.

My favorite NA cam was a custom 235/242 110 LSA. I know that lsa wont work very well with a blower and if I use a 235/242 115 or 116 lsa NA it would be a turd down low. Would the blower make up for the lost power down low? I plan on stick with the stock 3.42s the Z06 came with.

I leaning towards a 228/232 115 lsa but wanted opinions and thoughts.
I would go with something closer to your favorite cam. The blower is going to come on the same time the cam does if you put it on a 115/116. I guess that could be fun though.
The following users liked this post:
Podium (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:24 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

I was actually thinking about doing that. If I go forged and upped boost, I may want a delay in the powerband to get better traction at high power levels.

I may fill out some custom cam forms and see where that leads me.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:27 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I called Tick Performance and got them to design a cam for our engine. I specifically told them I wanted the largest cam that would still work in a 408. They recommended and sold me a 237/251 on a 115 LSA. It' not soft at all on the bottom but I also have a PY3600 converter so who needs power off idle anyhow? What it does is pull strong until 7000 RPM, well past where the little P1SC-1 supercharger has given everything it has to give. And the sound is flat out amazing. It rivals some of the nastier N/A cams at idle. Power and sound. I got it from Tick Performance.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:40 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

There is no reason to reinvent the cam here. Lots of shops out there have already put the work in and know what they are doing. The only reason to get a "custom cam" is to try and be cool. Talk to people like blownbluez06 or A&A. They have cams proven to make power and have them in different sizes.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:27 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by silver408z
There is no reason to reinvent the cam here. Lots of shops out there have already put the work in and know what they are doing. The only reason to get a "custom cam" is to try and be cool. Talk to people like blownbluez06 or A&A. They have cams proven to make power and have them in different sizes.
Pretty ridiculous statement. If your combo is different than most others, or you want something different out of the cam then most would, go custom and get what you want.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:03 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Pretty ridiculous statement. If your combo is different than most others, or you want something different out of the cam then most would, go custom and get what you want.

Thanks, I almost gave up on this forum for tech after the few responses I got.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:02 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I think you'd be happy with the 228-232 115 cam. I got the 224-234 116 Comp cam they (A&A) sell, and wish I'd gone bigger. I really miss the lope of my old NA cam, at 228-232@112 .600. It was just as drivable as stock, but sure didn't sound like stock. OTOH, I needed to bleed off some DCR with the 11:1.

Last edited by zeevette; 12-13-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:08 AM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

No it's not. No one is doing something different than already hasn't been done. There is no new head unit, no new heads or intake, no new blah blah. Shops like A&A have seen it all. They will have a cam already spec'd out that will do what you want.

Sounds cool to have a custom.

Hey Joe, what cam are you running?

Hey Bob, it's a custom cam from xyz.

Last edited by silver408z; 12-14-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:34 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

No it's not. No one is doing something different than already hasn't been done. There is no new head unit, no new heads or intake, no new blah blah. Shops like A&A have seen it all. They will have a cam already spec'd out that will do what you want.

If you knew the amount of information that a good cam guy uses to arrive at what you want you would understand. You obviously don't have a clue.
Simply one of the many reasons some cars perform better than others.

No disrespect to josh at A&A or any other shop but i will use myself for example. if I called him and said .......
Josh, I have an Ls402, 6L80 with 2800 stall, edelbrock 245 cnc ported heads and a YSI.
I want a cam that idles like stock at 750 rpm, has as little lope as possible, but makes as much power as we can, and pulls hard to 7000 rpm.
He might say...well, the closest might be cam XXX, but the odds of his off the shelf cam giving me everything that I want are not that great.

After spending so much money on a build, why would anyone not get exactly what they want, if it is possible.
PS. My car idles like stock at 750, runs perfectly throughout the range, and makes 1000rwhp at 7000 rpm, because that's what I asked for!!

Last edited by realcanuk; 12-14-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:35 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

I never said I wanted a custom cam anyway. I just mentioned that my favorite was a custom.

No new heads or intake? Trickflow,Tony Mamo, MSD come to mind. You really think that cams designed before these parts came out (or after) will optimize them? Some off the shelf cams are not optimal or even good for some bolt on set ups.

You have a lot to learn before you start giving advice online.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

After spending so much money on a build, why would anyone not get exactly what they want, if it is possible.
PS. My car idles like stock at 750, runs perfectly throughout the range, and makes 1000rwhp at 7000 rpm, because that's what I asked for!!

Exactly. Who did you end up going through for a cam spec? You can pm me if its not a sponsor.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

People don't seem to understand the term custom cam. It isn't like designing new lobes.

It is a cam setup for your specific needs. Only reason not to do custom is ignorance, laziness or being too cheap to pay someone the $25 to spec it out.

It is a lot like ordering pizza. If you want thin crust, light sauce, and extra cheese, because that is how you enjoy, you aren't reinventing the wheel by getting a "custom" pizza, you are getting something that fits your needs. People saying just order off the shelf are saying just order a meat lovers, but maybe you would be better off with 6 meats and 2 veggies.

Basically don't be a lazy ignorant bastard, and get a cam setup for your specific cars combo/goals. Maybe we just need to stop calling them custom and start calling them cams tweaked for you since people can't seem to get the custom part through their dense skulls.

Or think of it this way, if you could order a corvette with the exact options/colors/parts you wanted, wouldn't you want that? Instead of just having 1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ. Maybe you want the sport seats and tall spoiler with carbon brakes, but don't want the leather roof, or bose stereo. Those packages are like stage 1,2,3 cams. A "custom" would be the car with every single option picked out by you, in your exact color, with exact interior, performance options, etc. Would you be happy with a package? Probably. Would you be happier getting exactly what you want, hell yes.

Last edited by Unreal; 12-14-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger cam selection

Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

I actually think its cooler to say

"Hey Bob, its a gxbr5433 nuclear stage 9 grind from lingenfelter"

Saying its custom is boring....

Last edited by realcanuk; 12-14-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

If your combo is different than most others, or you want something different out of the cam then most would, go custom and get what you want.
That's a very good point.

A silly example but what if the customer has a custom intake with his LS engine?

With custom intake I mean something that's not made by Holley or Edelbrock or FAST or MSD or any of the well-known aftermarket vendors.

Also, what it the engine has custom heads with his LS engine?

Again, with custom I mean something that's not made by AFR or MAST or so.

And custom headers...

With this kind of combination, there just isn't anyone with knowledge of what kind of cam will provide the best results with this particular engine.

Because the engine is custom.

But there may be a good guesses.

And there may be a good (=expensive) simulation software. But even that would need a lot of data from the custom parts... :-)

All in all, you will never get the best cam for a particular engine combination with unknown PCM capability with unknown tuner capability with of course owner/driver preference of how the engine should behave with WOT and normal driving.

So custom it is.

This, without you ever knowing if some other cam / intake / head / injector / blower / header / PCM / tuner would have provided better or worse results.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
People don't seem to understand the term custom cam. It isn't like designing new lobes.

It is a cam setup for your specific needs. Only reason not to do custom is ignorance, laziness or being too cheap to pay someone the $25 to spec it out.
There you go.

$25 job is a $25 job.

Just make sure he/she is a pro. :-)

Quick Reply: Supercharger cam selection