C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A build What 2 guages? fuel?boost?air/fuel? brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 05:41 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A&A build What 2 guages? fuel?boost?air/fuel? brand?

i know this has been beaten to death but did the research and have not seen any input in the last few years.

just purchased a A&A kit

Getting a dual pillar and on the fence from fuel pressure gauge vs wideband.

fuel pressure with a warning alarm/light sounds like the safer choice
i wont be tuning it myself will have it dynotuned.
lookin at speed hut
http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-OIL...si-(w--warning)

144 for the alarm fuel pressure speedhut
65 for the auto meter boost
75 for the dual pod pillar
total around 300

my other thought is one PLX smart gauge with fuel pressure and vac/boost. only one gauge makes it a cleaner look, can also put alarms and everything
80 gauge
60 boost sensor
90 fuel sensor
35 single gauge pod
275-

what do you guys think any experiences?

will be installing the kit in my garage and trying to make sure i got all the accessories in it once its torn apart.
i am trying to find the best bang for the buck too.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:03 PM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

carbon autometer, its what I use.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

Plx wideband for sure. Great price and great accuracy. Better than the loved AEM. I've had both and will always buy plx. You can also add gauges to the box the plx wideband comes with. I can't tell you how it works (only used thier wideband) but it's slick. Check out their website.

If I was going only two gauges for your set up it would be wideband and boost for sure.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

I plan on doing three gauges. WB, boost and fuel pressure myself. I'm going with a double d mods customs console with the three holes for gauges. Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I run 3, Boost WB and fuel PSI on the pilar. Matter of aesthetics for you but I have always been a gauge freak.

You could go for a warning light, but Id rather see a constant display
Old 12-05-2016, 01:57 PM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Not sure what you are doing for tuning. Disclaimer: I only have extremely limited experience with EFI LIVe. I would make sure you get a wideband that can do serial data logging with the tuning software. Analog is not as good.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:48 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Podium
Plx wideband for sure. Great price and great accuracy. Better than the loved AEM. I've had both and will always buy plx. You can also add gauges to the box the plx wideband comes with. I can't tell you how it works (only used thier wideband) but it's slick. Check out their website.

If I was going only two gauges for your set up it would be wideband and boost for sure.
i am leaning toward the plx its really cheap if i stick to one gauge and just buy 50-80 bucks for each add-on sensor, and have them all set to warn me if any go out of range.
dont think i will be paying attention to all my gauges going WOT

Originally Posted by Podium
I plan on doing three gauges. WB, boost and fuel pressure myself. I'm going with a double d mods customs console with the three holes for gauges. Hope that helps.
i will check them out, but i think gauge pods on the pillar is cool lol just needed to make sure i had power to back it up

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
I run 3, Boost WB and fuel PSI on the pilar. Matter of aesthetics for you but I have always been a gauge freak.

You could go for a warning light, but Id rather see a constant display
don't mean a warning light but a gauge that also will warn me like a flashing or chime to let me know to check the gauge nowadays its only a few bucks extra.

Originally Posted by etekberg
Not sure what you are doing for tuning. Disclaimer: I only have extremely limited experience with EFI LIVe. I would make sure you get a wideband that can do serial data logging with the tuning software. Analog is not as good.
This is my biggest question, i wont track or graph my runs or anything since i will be taking it to get it dynotuned by either A&A supercharger or Cunningham motorsports. so if i get the wideband it will really just be to make sure its running good wile driving but will i bee focusing on it or on the road at WOT

leaning torward plx pl-6 guage with fuel pressure
and autometer vac boost
down the road i can always add more sensors to the plx
just trying to keep the cost a bit down after dumping the cash on the A&A
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

for dual, Fuel pressure and wideband. if you go triple, add a boost gauge.
In the heat of things, you generally won't see, comprehend and react quickly enough to save anything. so get gauges that has output to datalog. I'll say boost gauge is the least relevant, the tuner can see that on via map sensor.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
for dual, Fuel pressure and wideband. if you go triple, add a boost gauge.
In the heat of things, you generally won't see, comprehend and react quickly enough to save anything. so get gauges that has output to datalog. I'll say boost gauge is the least relevant, the tuner can see that on via map sensor.
don't i need to invest in hp tuners or efi live to be able to use all the data?
or will the plx be fine for it to warn me when the fuel goes too lean so i can go ahead and take it to the shop and let them know its running lean, or rich.

i guess the best thing is 1 plx guage with wideband and fuel pressure,
and also a mechanical boost guage so 3 sensors but 2 guages.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:20 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i had a boost/vacuum gauge. i used it for tuning pt. then i never looked at it again during a pull. its gone. i also seriously question the accuracy of the $200-300 widebands. usually there is quite a discrepancy between what i see (or believe to have seen) and whats in the logg. so even if the box were correct, the gauge is questionable imo. if you have gauges on the pillar, you will never look at them during a pull. i have even trouble taking the eyes off the road with this one:

fotos kostenlos

if your not tuning yourself forget visual gauges, i say. allarm is o.k., no experiance with that, provided it works.
The following users liked this post:
FourG63 97GST (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Ok getting the fuel pressure with warning/alarm and a basic boost guage. And will redearch air fuel guages can easlily add it to my plx guage with a warning/alarm dont plsn to keep looking at them so nice to have the ability to switch guage screens but always have a warning.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

yea warnings/lights is a good alternative.
I also have my wideband dead center of the speedo, and still dont see it

Old 12-06-2016, 02:10 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

i use plx, whatever you get get something with memory. i guarantee you while you make a pull you will not look at a single gauge.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:37 PM
SilverZ06NC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my experience you will not watch the gauges while in a pull (on the street at least) I would save your money and get HPTuners or EFI live which ever you prefer. The reason I say that is that you could use the data logging for so much more and review and make changes if need be. Just my .02
Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I went with Autometer Cobalt gauges, using A/F, boost, and Fuel Pressure on an A pillar tri-mount. The A/F and fuel pressure are useful and I glance at them from time to time every time I drive.

The boost gauge is useless. I never look at the thing, and it's never correct. I'm on my 2nd Autometer Cobalt boost gauge and it's off by 3psi on the top end. The last one failed completely. I never look at gauges during a run, no matter how many long 1/2 mile passes I've made.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-06-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:07 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by StealthFRC
i use plx, whatever you get get something with memory. i guarantee you while you make a pull you will not look at a single gauge.
do all plx have memory or data logging? looking to get the dm-1000 multi-guage and maybe the pl-6 as the second to fill up my dual pod.

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
I went with Autometer Cobalt gauges, using A/F, boost, and Fuel Pressure on an A pillar tri-mount. The A/F and fuel pressure are useful and I glance at them from time to time every time I drive.

The boost gauge is useless. I never look at the thing, and it's never correct. I'm on my 2nd Autometer Cobalt boost gauge and it's off by 3psi on the top end. The last one failed completely. I never look at gauges during a run, no matter how many long 1/2 mile passes I've made.

was thinking the boost gauge will work just to see it time to time and make sure there was no leaks ect, but being inexpensive and the little kid in me always wanted a boost gauge lol. how can u tell that your gauge is off.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by -98-z28-darkness-
was thinking the boost gauge will work just to see it time to time and make sure there was no leaks ect, but being inexpensive and the little kid in me always wanted a boost gauge lol. how can u tell that your gauge is off.
Because my car makes power and runs 1/4mi passes and 1/2mi passes like clockwork. Last time I had the car tuned (2013), the car put down 638rwhp at 12psi of boost. Gauge indicated that as well. Car ran 132mph in the 1/4 and 164mph in the 1/2 for the next 3 years.

Now, the gauge is reading 15psi at full boost. Yet, it feels the same, and at the end of this year it still ran 132mph in the 1/4 and exactly 163.99mph in the 1/2. It's definitely not making more power.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 12-06-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A build What 2 guages? fuel?boost?air/fuel? brand?

Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quickshift_C5
Because my car makes power and runs 1/4mi passes and 1/2mi passes like clockwork. Last time I had the car tuned (2013), the car put down 638rwhp at 12psi of boost. Gauge indicated that as well. Car ran 132mph in the 1/4 and 164mph in the 1/2 for the next 3 years.

Now, the gauge is reading 15psi at full boost. Yet, it feels the same, and at the end of this year it still ran 132mph in the 1/4 and exactly 163.99mph in the 1/2. It's definitely not making more power.
nice, looks like im going with plx multi guage so i can read straight from the obd2.
will this give me a accurate reading of the boost from the MAP sensor? is this where they get the boost info when they tune the car?
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

nice, looks like im going with plx multi guage so i can read straight from the obd2.
will this give me a accurate reading of the boost from the MAP sensor? is this where they get the boost info when they tune the car?
I don't have much knowledge when it comes to actual tuning, the MAP sensors, etc. I do my own wrenching, but that's about as far as I go at the moment. There are some great folks on the board that will probably answer those questions soon though.

Definitely understand wanting a boost gauge. It does show that there is boost pressure even though it's just a little off. Plus, it's just fun to have. So...why not? I'd still do it again given the option.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:41 PM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

do all plx have memory or data logging? looking to get the dm-1000 multi-guage and maybe the pl-6 as the second to fill up my dual pod.

i have both of those they will show your peak boost and also plot it on a graph so you can see.
the plx gauges are nice but the modules take up a lot of space. it is nice that you can have 1 gauge and it can display multiple sensors and like i said it will save the info so you can view it after the pull.

Quick Reply: A&A build What 2 guages? fuel?boost?air/fuel? brand?