C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

School me on BOV's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 06:51 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Default School me on BOV's

Just installed my blower kit and I have the race port 50mm turbosmart blowoff valve.

I have the motor running and the BOV is open at idle, my boost gauge reads about 13 vacuum. Now I was testing to see if my wideband was fixed so I was giving it a little gas and I was watching to make shure I wasn't getting into boost but the needle never moved. If I gave it a rev it would go to 0 boost/vac, is this because there's no load on the motor?

Maybe I need to change the springs on the BOV?

Main reason for my post, if vacuum opens the BOV during idle what closes the BOV so it can create boost?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:56 PM
idontknow
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your good
Old 01-09-2017, 08:00 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Thats what the spring inside the bov is for, it keeps the piston down and valve closed. The only thing that keeps it open is vacuum. You wont build boost by simply revving the motor, you need a load, but you may be able to hear the bov open and close slightly(depending where its at and whether you have a filter on it or not). You can adjust the cap on the bov to the softest setting so that it open earlier with less vacuum. Simply drive around and see that it goes into boost as you give it throttle and that it the gauge reads vacuum when you decel.

Name:  parts_supersonic2_1.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  149.6 KB

Last edited by C5Natie; 01-09-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Ok I wasn't aware it needed a load for the bov to close, it's also the one that requires spring changes vs the adjustable cap

Is there any benefit to having the bov set "softer" or "firmer" so it doesn't open as easily?
I'd assume if it was tooo firm it would be harder to get into boost down low or am I wrong there too
Old 01-09-2017, 11:05 AM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

It comes with the 14-18 spring, would you worry about swapping springs to get more in my vacuum range since I'm a little out of the range?
Old 01-09-2017, 11:08 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the same Big Bubba bov but I got it from A&A Corvette and they use the softest spring available so it vents at idle. I would call them to see what spring they recommend. To set the cap for a softer setting, simply unscrew it until the bottom of the cap lines up with the o-ring.
Yes, the looser the cap the less pressure it puts on the spring allowing the valve to open easier or sooner.

Check out this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-vids.html

Last edited by C5Natie; 01-09-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:39 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

I don't have the big bubba, it's the 50mm race port. It requires spring changes and isn't adjustable like the other two, I think it's a new option for 2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V67O0Q...ature=youtu.be

i appreciate the help

Get notified of new replies

To School me on BOV's

Quick Reply: School me on BOV's