C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RollMaster Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 04:42 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Timing chains and related

FourG63 97GST, I'm liking your logic . That commodity has been hard to find on my last couple of threads. I'm replying privately cause I don't want to start another flame war. A very few of the members on here must be snowflakes that need to go back to their safe-place. Don't get me wrong -- I've got tremendous help from certain members - others, not so much.

Anyway if you have brand names or part numbers you would recommend I would appreciate info. I've 40 years Small Block Chevy Hot Rodding but this my first LS!! My build is somewhat of a budget plus I always tried to spend my money where it counts. I could search for the various parts but then I don't have a framework of reference if they're really good parts oor not so good. Here is what I am thinking:

1. Engine has 58K- if gears immaculate on tear down - reuse. If not buy new stockers.
2. Will bearing fit behind stock gear? Whose is good?
3. I think I will do a damper and I think I will need an adapter for that on my LS1.ny suggestions?
4.I'm definitely gonna go with good pulley. I have ECS 1500 kit (used) so I'll call them on that also. What pulley would you recommend for !)PSI Paxton with full bolt=ons.

Really appreciate your info,

Ron
Old 01-22-2017, 10:47 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

-unsure if it's a wear item, gears aren't the weak point. see how much play it has when you take it apart. move forward according.
-bearing won't fit behind stock gearing, replace the plate and move on.
- this should cover what works and what doesn't, looks like best case scenario is your block don't have the Provision for the "LS2" dampener, so you can just drill and tap it. My 02 had the holes already drilled, but I never checked the spacing.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-dampener.html

and If you're into data. I found this podcast awhile back with great info on Dampeners, fast forward to 14mins

http://readingtondigital.libsyn.com/...mance-products
The following users liked this post:
BURL (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:35 AM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Another option to drilling a taping your block is the Trick Flow chain dampener. I run it on a iron block with Bret's timing set. No issues, and the dampener is offered separate since it's a wear item. It's 100% bolt on.

I'm in no way a snowflake, I just don't like rude people. When you ask about a certain product and someone (with ample LS experience) tells you of a proven product, and you proceed to tell them their input isn't needed. That my friend is rude. I understand you were and engineer and have been around cars since the engines were made of wood, but people on here aren't going to tell you what "you want to hear". We will save you head/heart ache and money by passing on our experiences with products and experiences based on our blood sweat and tears.

Last edited by CamminC5; 01-23-2017 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BURL (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 01:13 PM
BURL
Pro

That comment was not directed at you sir. I appreciate your reply.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:18 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Chain gears and such

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
-unsure if it's a wear item, gears aren't the weak point. see how much play it has when you take it apart. move forward according.
-bearing won't fit behind stock gearing, replace the plate and move on.
- this should cover what works and what doesn't, looks like best case scenario is your block don't have the Provision for the "LS2" dampener, so you can just drill and tap it. My 02 had the holes already drilled, but I never checked the spacing.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...-dampener.html

and If you're into data. I found this podcast awhile back with great info on Dampeners, fast forward to 14mins

http://readingtondigital.libsyn.com/...mance-products
Excellent info. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: RollMaster Timing chain