C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another A&A Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:12 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another A&A Build

So I picked up a BASE 01 C5 (Black) and being that I have a dedicated drag car (00 Black Trans Am S485/365ci/TH400/9") that sees little street time, I wanted a dedicated street car that sees little track time.

Goal is around 7-750ish to the tire and still have it daily "driveable" with little, to no issues. Similar to what factory production cars are trying to accomplish with their HIGH HP cars off the Dealer lots.

The base of the build is:

01 C5 BASE

Engine "370ci":
Fresh Iron 6.0
GEN IV LS Rods
.030" over Pistons
MLS Head Gaskets (3 Layer .051" Comp. Thickness)
Stock 799 heads
BTR .650" Dual Springs with Titanium retainers
Stock Rockers with trunion upgrade
BTR Stage 2 Cam (Cam was installed before FI was a thought)
BTR Chromoly Pushrods 5/16"x7.400
LS7 lifters
JP Single roller billet timing set with torrington bearing
HRI Oil pump
LS6 Intake
Stock Throttlebody
Tr6 plugs
Stock MAF-Deleted (Going 3 bar SD)
Trick flow pulley

Fuel: (93 Octane)
FIC 95lb Injectors
Racetronix 680lph pump kit (Twin 340's)
Stock feed line
Stock regulator
Stock rails

Considering METH for performance aspects, for that added octane. Kit undecided and looking for suggestions. Budget friendly.

BEWST:
A&A Black'd out kit from TPSMak
V3 TI
3.4 A&A 6-Rib pulley
Shooting for 12lbs

Exhaust:
KOOK's 1 7/8" LT's
KOOK's 3x2.5" X-pipe
Corsa Pace OTA Exhaust

Transmission:
02 Zo6 Torque tube and 6spd Trans
Monster Stage 2 Clutch (18lb billet FW)
Tick Adjustable MC w/Speed bleeder

Rear:
RPM LVL 3 Diff. w/ Oil cooler
3.73 Gears

Car made 403rwhp/400rwtq in NA form @ Shortuning. Tuned by James Short. He has a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Which isn't bad for a little more cubes and a cam. I haven't seen the tune. I have no question James put in some solid work on the tune. Car runs as smooth as they do from the factory, just sounds so much more bad ***.

Which brings me to my next thought. Somethings I've been thinking of since I'll be tuning it myself as I do with all my vehicles using HP Tuners (Possibly renting the dyno @ShorTuning if schedules permit) and have a couple questions on are... Are people using the Spark correction advance vs IAT and PE vs IAT multipliers in the factory ECM's to control the added fuel and capability of more timing? It seems like the most logical thing to do and keep it safe and reliable when the meth tank is empty. Allowing the tune not to be dependent on the meth and able to control its own fueling, even though you may come down on power a little. Just some things I haven't been able to test myself yet and wondering what's out there.

I plan to keep this thread up to date and post some pictures of the progress once I can begin to start the build. Parts have already been bought, just waiting on time to turn the wrenches. Currently in Washington, Car is in Kentucky (Where I'm from). Home is where the Navy sends you. Lol

Last edited by FEAR LS; 02-12-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: As build plans change/update
Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 PM
4horseman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Build

Originally Posted by FEAR LS
So I picked up a BASE 01 C5 (Black) and being that I have a dedicated drag car (00 Black Trans Am S485/365ci/TH400/9") that sees little street time, I wanted a dedicated street car that sees little track time.

Goal is around 7-750ish to the tire and still have it daily "driveable" with little, to no issues. Similar to what factory production cars are trying to accomplish with their HIGH HP cars off the Dealer lots.

The base of the build is:

01 C5 BASE

Engine "370ci":
Fresh Iron 6.0
GEN IV LS Rods
.030" over Pistons
MLS Head Gaskets (3 Layer .051" Comp. Thickness)
Stock 799 heads
BTR .650" Dual Springs with Titanium retainers
Stock Rockers with trunion upgrade
BTR Stage 2 Cam (Cam was installed before FI was a thought)
BTR Chromoly Pushrods 5/16"x7.400
LS7 lifters
JP Single roller billet timing set with torrington bearing
HRI Oil pump
LS6 Intake
Stock Throttlebody
Tr6 plugs
Stock MAF
Considering stock crank pulley vs Trick flow SFI-spec'd pulley

Fuel: (93 Octane)
Siemens 60lb Injectors
LPE 255 pump
Stock feed line
Stock regulator

Possibly HW Kit and BAP. Considering METH for performance aspects as well. Kit undecided and looking for suggestions. Budget friendly.

BEWST:
A&A Black'd out kit from TPSMak
V3 TI
3.4 A&A 6-Rib pulley
Shooting for 12lbs

Exhaust:
KOOK's 1 7/8" LT's
KOOK's 3x2.5" X-pipe
Corsa Pace OTA Exhaust

Transmission:
02 Zo6 Torque tube and 6spd Trans
Monster Stage 2 Clutch (18lb billet FW)
Tick Adjustable MC w/Speed bleeder

Rear:
RPM LVL 3 Diff. w/ Oil cooler
3.73 Gears

Car made 403rwhp/400rwtq in NA form @ Shortuning. Tuned by James Short. He has a Dyno Dynamics dyno. Which isn't bad for a little more cubes and a cam. I haven't seen the tune. I have no question James put in some solid work on the tune. Car runs as smooth as they do from the factory, just sounds so much more bad ***.

Which brings me to my next thought. Somethings I've been thinking of since I'll be tuning it myself as I do with all my vehicles using HP Tuners (Possibly renting the dyno @ShorTuning if schedules permit) and have a couple questions on are... Are people using the Spark correction advance vs IAT and PE vs IAT multipliers in the factory ECM's to control the added fuel and capability of more timing? It seems like the most logical thing to do and keep it safe and reliable when the meth tank is empty. Allowing the tune not to be dependent on the meth and able to control its own fueling, even though you may come down on power a little. Just some things I haven't been able to test myself yet and wondering what's out there.

I plan to keep this thread up to date and post some pictures of the progress once I can begin to start the build. Parts have already been bought, just waiting on time to turn the wrenches. Currently in Washington, Car is in Kentucky (Where I'm from). Home is where the Navy sends you. Lol
Hi<

I just built a car with your power expectations. Mine is a forged 346, P1SC1 with a 3.4. makes right at 13 lbs boost. My dyno # is from JGY speed shop in Atkins which uses the mustang dyno system. I made 689 rwhp and 602 with an A4 through an FTI 3600 rpm torque converter.

Ok your weak link is your fuel system. Go ahead and bump to 80 lbs.injectors. If on a budget stay with Siemens. You need an adjustable boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and a boost a pump. Even with this set up you will be pegging 82-84% duty. You have been warned!

You dont need methanol but its a wonderful idea to provide knock safety and/or an extra couple degrees of timing. Mine is set up for safety only, Im sure I could have busted the 700 RWHP level easily.

You need to stiffen the rear a bit because of hop. Find a used DTE rear brace for your differential/tranny.

My advice on your boost level desires is to ditch the MAF and go speed density. The best remote tuner I know is either Brett Bradbury aka blownbluez06, or you might try Frost. unless you are truly competent in such you might want to reconsider and let a SD pro set you up.

I might have missed something but I think that covers the bumps in my odyssey......
Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 AM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 4horseman
Hi<

I just built a car with your power expectations. Mine is a forged 346, P1SC1 with a 3.4. makes right at 13 lbs boost. My dyno # is from JGY speed shop in Atkins which uses the mustang dyno system. I made 689 rwhp and 602 with an A4 through an FTI 3600 rpm torque converter.

Great numbers! The AUTO trans has a higher parasitic loss percentage as you know, so you could only imagine what the 6speed would have netted.

Ok your weak link is your fuel system. Go ahead and bump to 80 lbs.injectors. If on a budget stay with Siemens. You need an adjustable boost referenced fuel pressure regulator and a boost a pump. Even with this set up you will be pegging 82-84% duty. You have been warned!

I understand that any stock fuel system will be tough to yield the demanding results, like those that I'm asking for, however it has been done time and time again. I don't need an adjustable FPR to make this all work together, let alone one that is boosted referenced. If base pressure is at 58 psi, and your boost is 13 psi, you're asking the pump to flow 71 psi. That's asking a lot out of your pump. Have you ever seen what a 255 flows at 71 psi. So I can only assume you're running a larger pump, or your base pressure is set around 43.5 psi vs the stock 58, or your not utilizing the reference port on your boost referenced FPR. The stock fuel regulator regulated to 58psi is more than fine, and will compliment the smaller injector more so than anything. I will more than likely after further research be installing a larger pump (340lph) and installing the BAP. I understand that the larger injectors would help, but once again, people do this regularly. If the 60's fall short, I have some FIC 95lb injectors waiting to go in.

You dont need methanol but its a wonderful idea to provide knock safety and/or an extra couple degrees of timing. Mine is set up for safety only, Im sure I could have busted the 700 RWHP level easily.

My Trans Am on 14lbs of boost made 796rwhp through a TH400/9"/28" Radial just on e85 and a china air to air intercooler. This is all on a stock junkyard 6.0L and GEN III at that. I think the meth would help me be at peace just to help take care of some high IAT's during the summer. I do not know personally how efficient these intercoolers are. I'll tune for the meth as well to make more power since it will give me much more octane, as the tune will be on 93 octane fuel.

You need to stiffen the rear a bit because of hop. Find a used DTE rear brace for your differential/tranny.

I have a brace actually. I can get the brand to see if it's a decent one, luckily came on the car before I got it.

My advice on your boost level desires is to ditch the MAF and go speed density. The best remote tuner I know is either Brett Bradbury aka blownbluez06, or you might try Frost. unless you are truly competent in such you might want to reconsider and let a SD pro set you up.

I am leaning more towards a 3 bar custom SD OS the more I think about it. Just makes sense, and wouldn't really hinder the cars drivability. I run a 3 bar OLSD on my Trans Am, I am more than capable of tuning any of my vehicles. I am well aware of Frost, and Mr. Bradbury. I think he's well informed with my buddy MVP.

I might have missed something but I think that covers the bumps in my odyssey......
I really appreciate the post. I enjoyed reading your suggestions and they were very helpful and got the wheels spinning in my head once again. Please feel free to add any more info.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Which brings me to my next thought. Somethings I've been thinking of since I'll be tuning it myself as I do with all my vehicles using HP Tuners (Possibly renting the dyno @ShorTuning if schedules permit) and have a couple questions on are...

Are people using the Spark correction advance vs IAT in the factory ECM's to control the added fuel and capability of more timing? It seems like the most logical thing to do and keep it safe and reliable when the meth tank is empty. Allowing the tune not to be dependent on the meth and able to control its own fueling, even though you may come down on power a little. Just some things I haven't been able to test myself yet and wondering what's out there.
Well, I do, as a tuner.

Remove from the main tables and add in the IAT advance table.

...and PE vs IAT multipliers...
Yes.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

80lbs fuel injectors for sure. if using ls3/ls7 intake be sure to get katech oversize injector o rings.

I'd do the methanol for sure too. single m15 nozzle at that power level is more than enough. car will run better (minimal heat soak), be more reliable (more octane) and make more power. plus its nice to take a little load off your main fuel system.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Tool steel wrist pins.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:58 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Tool steel wrist pins.
Haha What up man!
Old 02-05-2017, 02:21 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

After looking into it, the Racetronix kit seems like the easiest and most reasonably priced for a plug and play system for the Vette's. They have a 680lph kit, it's pretty much twin 340's, with their fittings and so forth. Run one off a hobb's switch, and I'll just install the FIC 95lb injectors from the get go.

After some calculation, since I'm going against God's will here and just running the stock FPR (Lol, that's a joke. Not trying to offend anyone.) vs a boost referenced AFPR, the injectors will see a pressure differential resulting in 45psi at the injector (At full boost) vs the pump pressure of 58psi (regardless of boost). All in all keeping the IDC around 78-79% (@7000rpm) with an 11.5 AFR at full boost (13psi). This is an estimate on the safer side of things. I honestly don't like pushing the things past 6500rpm, however I'm greedy, and will set the limiter wherever the hp peaks. Lol

Should be a clean install, quiet (for twin pumps, compared to an external), and sufficient.

Last edited by FEAR LS; 02-05-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

The racetronix kit you are talking about crossed my mind as well. Id like to see how you do it.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:33 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Supercharger kit showed up today! I have some brand new Siemens 60lb injectors and a brand new KB BAP for sale.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:48 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

BAP Sold...That was fast. Lol Anyone need some new injectors?

Still waiting for Maryland Speed to send my my exhaust stuff. Been a while...
Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM
John_B
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm doing a very similar build... forged 347, V3 Ti with 3.4 pulley, E85, FIC 1000cc injectors and brets walbro 450 in tank pump. Also as custom blower cam from bret and all new valvetrain.

you're keeping 6 rib? No overdrive pulley?

i have stock diameter crank pulley and was debating on getting a 10% overdrive to help with belt wrap and another pound or two of boost.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

BAP Sold...That was fast. Lol Anyone need some new injectors?

Still waiting for Maryland Speed to send my my exhaust stuff. Been a while...
I ordered my lt1 twin disk a month ago. I was supposedto get a tracking number from monster last week. Still nothing. I will be calling them tomorrow. Glad I used paypal. Hopefully you get your stuff soon.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John_B
I'm doing a very similar build... forged 347, V3 Ti with 3.4 pulley, E85, FIC 1000cc injectors and brets walbro 450 in tank pump. Also as custom blower cam from bret and all new valvetrain.

you're keeping 6 rib? No overdrive pulley?

i have stock diameter crank pulley and was debating on getting a 10% overdrive to help with belt wrap and another pound or two of boost.
Nice! Link to that 450 in tank kit? The 3.4 pulley is already going to net me around 12-13psi. The overdrive will push it even higher, not looking for much more as of now.

Staying with the 6-rib. I don't hear much issue out of what I'm trying to do with it.

Originally Posted by Podium
I ordered my lt1 twin disk a month ago. I was supposedto get a tracking number from monster last week. Still nothing. I will be calling them tomorrow. Glad I used paypal. Hopefully you get your stuff soon.
I'm serious man, I paid PayPal as well. Might have to file a claim if they're going to do business like this.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:16 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

She's dirty as all hell, but I figured I'd attach some photos. Have a lot to install. lol

Old 02-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

I'm serious man, I paid PayPal as well. Might have to file a claim if they're going to do business like this.

I would make a claim. I paid a month ago and still nothing. I called SNL (makers of monster) this morning and they said Maryland Speed put the order in on the 8th of this month! Almost a full month later!!!!!!!! Heres the best part. MARYLAND SPEED STILL HAS NOT PAID MONSTER EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE HAD MY MONEY FOR A MONTH! Also, you have to email a request to cancel an order! Unreal!

I had an issue with them a few years ago but the owner messaged me while I was looking online and offered me 50 bucks off if I ordered that night. I was only on their site because I was looking for a twin disk and google shopping brought me there. They forgot to take down their holiday prices at the time, thats why I went there. Never again.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:45 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

I would make a claim. I paid a month ago and still nothing. I called SNL (makers of monster) this morning and they said Maryland Speed put the order in on the 8th of this month! Almost a full month later!!!!!!!! Heres the best part. MARYLAND SPEED STILL HAS NOT PAID MONSTER EVEN THOUGH THEY HAVE HAD MY MONEY FOR A MONTH! Also, you have to email a request to cancel an order! Unreal!

I had an issue with them a few years ago but the owner messaged me while I was looking online and offered me 50 bucks off if I ordered that night. I was only on their site because I was looking for a twin disk and google shopping brought me there. They forgot to take down their holiday prices at the time, thats why I went there. Never again.
Give them a call, I just spoke with Brandon. Everything worked out great!

Get notified of new replies

To Another A&A Build

Old 02-13-2017, 02:49 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Give them a call, I just spoke with Brandon. Everything worked out great!

I did speak with him. Im going to get a refund and take my business elsewhere.

Did you find out about the 450 intank? If you make your own twin are you going to post it in this thread or make a new one?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

I did speak with him. Im going to get a refund and take my business elsewhere.

Did you find out about the 450 intank? If you make your own twin are you going to post it in this thread or make a new one?
Well sorry to hear about it.

I haven't gotten a link or anything yet. I will post it so you can see how I plan to do mine. Probably wont be for a couple weeks though. Don't know what kind of hurry you're in.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:56 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Mid to upper 600 wheel HP range. No problem.

Quick Reply: Another A&A Build