C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin fuel pump or add external?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Podium
Wouldn't the lph go up with more pressure?
Negative. The objective is to find a balance between injector and fuel pump flow. Basically the higher the base pressure (58psi), the more the injectors can support-the pump loses flow. Vice versa, lower base pressure (43.5psi), pump will flow more-the injector loses lbs.

Hence why I'm using the stock regulator vs a boost referenced adjustable fuel pressure regulator. For instance we setup the base pressure on a boost referenced system at 58psi, we run 13psi of boost,and at peak boost the fuel pump is asked to flow at 71psi. Dramatically killing flow rating of most pumps. The flip side is you don't run a boost referenced system, you pump flows at base pressure of 58psi regardless of boost pressure, boost pressure will result in a differential pressure of 45psi at the injector. Making the injector flow rating decrease. However I have room to spare on injectors since I'm only running 93 octane. It's a give and take either way you go with it.

That dual pump set up will fit inside the stock fuel bucket? I thought it would be like Lonnies set up that eliminate the stock bucket?
As far as I'm aware, it will fit inside the stock bucket. (Might require slight modification)

Last edited by FEAR LS; 02-05-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:51 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

I got ya. Makes since some local tuners set the fuel pressure at 43 around here. Id rather buy bigger injectors than add even more pump.

Im with ya on the racetronix set up. Its a very nice price for what you get.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:03 PM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got ya. Makes since some local tuners set the fuel pressure at 43 around here. Id rather buy bigger injectors than add even more pump.

Im with ya on the racetronix set up. Its a very nice price for what you get.
I hope those "local tuners"are setting fuel pressure based on the combo. Lol Base pressure changes the Injector Flow Rate as discussed earlier and is vital.

Bigger injectors with good data, are worth the money spent.

My drag car has twin 450lph pumps and 210lb injectors. Trying to support that e85.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

It was actually one guy. Everybody loves him but truth be told hes a hack. He is the whole reason I started tuning myself. He tuned my H\C\I at 43 psi and hooked up the boost reference. I asked him why he set it to 43psi and hooked up the reference and his response was, "well, the boost cars like it."
Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

OP, check my car in my sig.

I'm currently running the Lonnie's twin intank setup. I purchased it used as I didn't want to wait the lead time for the setup. When it came it originally had a 255/340 setup that was run on E85 for "a thousand miles"....which turned out to be more.

Regardless, I ran them on 93 pump for two years without issue. Completed Hot Rod Drag Week this year with that setup. At the end of each drive I was down below 1/8th of a tank each and every day after driving for about 7 hours each stretch. On the final day the 255 was not happy but still worked enough to make a run. Once home that pump would die with about another hour of run time on it. Glad it held out for sure.

I've since replaced both pumps so I'm running Twin Aeromotive 340s (one constant/one Hobbs) without a single issue. Pulling the pumps on the pre-03 tanks are very easy even if you have to drain the tank so don't let that be a concern.

As far as the Lonnie's setup, its very simple.....and VERY easy to recreate on your own with a few simple parts. No need to really spend the money direct if you don't want to. The 340's are also very quiet which is a nice touch.

- Travis
The following users liked this post:
Podium (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Podium
Burning Brakes

THat is the plan. Just got to decide how I want to run the fuel pressure and all that stuff now.

Quick Reply: twin fuel pump or add external?