C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex fuel on the C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Flex fuel on the C5

I'm interested in exploring options and getting feedback on a solid setup for the C5 to run flex fuel.

I remember reading info on a vendor that was able to repin a different ECM from another GM vehicle that could run flex fuel and still run the gauges, tranny, ect.... Not sure of the cost, I think it was Vengeance as I remember.

The other option I have (which I know will work, but not cheap) is a Haltech S2000 with the flex fuel sensor. Are there recommended vendors near Alex VA that are VERY good with the Haltech install and tuning. I've heard Anger Management is experienced but I'd like to hear feedback.

I've already got the Haltech, but I'd sure like to hear more about retrofitting a GM ECM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:24 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Free bump, I would love to hear options for the retrofitting of a GM ECM.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:26 AM
FEAR LS
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be done, but anything can be done if you are willing to spend the money.

The PCM would have to be from a flex fuel capable vehicle as you had already stated, in addition you would have to ensure the ignition system on that pcm isn't setup for a 58x reluctor vs the Gen III 24x. As well as the crank and cam position sensors. Whether it was data that needed to be input or wiring/conversion or both.

These are things just to think about, I haven't done one before. Although I know I'm fully capable, just don't have the budget at the moment to convert mine.

The above is extra, meaning not including the fuel system upgrades it would require. (Pump(s), lines, injectors, etc...)
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'm interested in exploring options and getting feedback on a solid setup for the C5 to run flex fuel.

I remember reading info on a vendor that was able to repin a different ECM from another GM vehicle that could run flex fuel and still run the gauges, tranny, ect.... Not sure of the cost, I think it was Vengeance as I remember.

The other option I have (which I know will work, but not cheap) is a Haltech S2000 with the flex fuel sensor. Are there recommended vendors near Alex VA that are VERY good with the Haltech install and tuning. I've heard Anger Management is experienced but I'd like to hear feedback.

I've already got the Haltech, but I'd sure like to hear more about retrofitting a GM ECM.
Go with the other options.

Things/acronyms as P59, segment swaps, etc. are too much for average enthusiast to consider.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

We have done it, it's not as hard as some think but it does take a little time and know how. We offer it in house only though. but It is doable with a gm c5 pcm.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

The following 2 users liked this post by Cordes Performance Racing:
lsrteg (12-12-2019), rob-cyn (10-22-2020)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

tell us more! What are the costs involved? Stereo, gauge, and AC all work ok? Any downside?

Like to do the fuel system and the ECM upgrade at the same time.

Thanks for responding!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:17 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
We have done it, it's not as hard as some think but it does take a little time and know how. We offer it in house only though. but It is doable with a gm c5 pcm.
Agreed. It can be done with a later C5 ecu.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 PM
regorih
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

2004 PCM are flex fuel capable
Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by regorih
2004 PCM are flex fuel capable
But are they (capable) as such, or is there need for some tricks? Apart of changing the values/settings of course.

Here's some screen shots of 2004 Z06 PCM (P59) with flex fuel settings (sensor and spark advance):

Old 02-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Supporting Vendor

yes it's an 04 pcm you have to do but there is some re wiring in the harness that has to be done, and I don't mean just putting in the flex fuel pin.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
slow ride
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, so after that is complete will the cars run basically perfect from e10-e85, etc? Do you guys use HPT or EFILive?
Old 02-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Holley Dominator V4 software now has it.(obviously non GM ecu).
Old 02-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Nate B
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Another option is a stand alone controller. We're working on getting it setup and testing on my c6z right now and will be making a harness to run on the c5 as well. As long as your pump gas 93/91 ocane tune is correct and your fuel system will be able to keep up, this is a simple plug and play controller and takes about 5 min to install. It uses a gm flex fuel sensor and corrects fuel trims according to ethanol content.

Here's a dyno graph from a 06 c6z test car we are doing. The car is already setup with flex fuel (pined the factory pcm) so we have a comparison for the c6 market. The red line is the 93 octane tune, blue line is with flex fuel turned on, factory pcm adjusting for ethanol content, green line is the stand alone flex fuel controller running on the 93 tune only (flex fuel turned off on factory pcm. Even on the test car it picked up a significant amount through the mid range over the factory corrections. On the later pcm's 09+ have a flex fuel PE table you can fine tune and achieve similar gains however the earlier pcm do not have the ability which is why the stand alone picked up so much.

We have been using these controllers on Mercedes with great success. The Mercedes like the c5 do not have a flex capability in the factory pcm.

Last edited by Nate B; 02-26-2017 at 12:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nate B:
JT FRC 00 (02-26-2017), slow ride (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Very good to have options to choose from!

Standalone controllers don't change ignition timing with WOT or part throttle and may not help cold starts (depending on device, of course), but hey, not everyone needs these functions.

Last edited by Pekka_Perkeles; 02-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 PM
JT FRC 00
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Very good to have options to choose from!

Standalone controllers don't change ignition timing with WOT or part throttle and may not help cold starts (depending on device, of course), but hey, not everyone needs these functions.
Yessir you are correct. Nate is working on trying to get one setup for C5's so hopefully I'll be able to try it out and see how it works. In the process right now to get some injectors ready so I can make the swap.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:44 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

so one of the things I'm wanting to try is 2 sets of injectors. I bought one of the "sniper style" sheet metal intakes so I can do the following and love to hear some feedback.

I have a Haltech S2000 with flex fuel sensor

127 FIC "primary" injectors" with intank Bosch and external booster pump (thinking another bosch 450)

the "sniper intake" will have another set of bungs welded up (as high as practical for the second set of injectors)

I'm going to use 80 lb injectors for the 2nd stage injectors running pure meth. I already have a dedicated 3 gal tank in back, so I'll use another bosch pump from the tank with another fuel rail and return line.

This is complicated, but for a reason. I really want to run e85 "on kill" with the ttix kit, but it's still hard to get locally. so having the "direct port meth" all under control of the haltech will allow me great flexibility to still run high boost when E85 is unavailable on the road.

Many of you may remember the old "wheel to wheel" dual fuel project where he used another "standalone" ECM to just drive the second set of injectors. (dual rotex superchargers on a SB in a nova

I realize the implementation and tuning on this will be very difficult, so I'm looking for a really solid Haltech tuner on the east coast.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 AM
etekberg
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 122 Posts

Complexity is the enemy of reliability. KISS

I wouldn't do it, but it certainly sounds cool

Last edited by etekberg; 03-02-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flex fuel on the C5

Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 AM
Podium
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 84 Posts

yes it's an 04 pcm you have to do but there is some re wiring in the harness that has to be done, and I don't mean just putting in the flex fuel pin.
Like what? Can you not just hook up the sensor harness and enable the flex fuel in the tune?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Podium
Like what? Can you not just hook up the sensor harness and enable the flex fuel in the tune?
no you cannot.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
wilson34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no you cannot.
Other than changing the wiring for the O2 sensors and hooking up the flex fuel sensor there is nothing else that I am aware of.

Is that correct?

Quick Reply: Flex fuel on the C5