C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone still have STS kits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 03:09 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default Anyone still have STS kits?

Just curios how many members still have STS kits and how they have been for you through the years. I swear I still think the sts kit is the best sounding kit out there.

Shame they went out of business, I would seriously like to pick up a C5 just to have that kit put on it. I remember they seemed to get a lot of hate on the boards but I always thought they were awesome. To all the owners!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Still have mine, runs great!
Rick Squires bought back STS after their bankruptcy, hopefully relaunching at some point.

Puts down 677 rwhp, scary fast (for me). No heat issues, no fit issues, sounds great.
Had an oil issue early on, changed the oil pump out, no problems since.

I love it.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (05-28-2021)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I still have my kit. Been on for several years, runs GREAT. Only issue I ever had was oil pump, changed it early on, no problems since. No heat issues, fitment issues or maintenance issues.

Has grown with my needs, started with 5lbs on stock motor and over time have ended up with 13lbs on a forged motor. Stock heads, very mild cam, 677 rwhp.

Love it and would do it again!

Rick Squires purchases STS assets after bankruptcy. It's been a while since he purchased, hopefully something happens soon.
https://www.ststurbochargers.com/

Jim
BABYBUGY (12-02-2021)
Old 02-22-2017, 09:42 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hammer
I still have my kit. Been on for several years, runs GREAT. Only issue I ever had was oil pump, changed it early on, no problems since. No heat issues, fitment issues or maintenance issues.

Has grown with my needs, started with 5lbs on stock motor and over time have ended up with 13lbs on a forged motor. Stock heads, very mild cam, 677 rwhp.

Love it and would do it again!

Rick Squires purchases STS assets after bankruptcy. It's been a while since he purchased, hopefully something happens soon.
https://www.ststurbochargers.com/

Jim
Jim I was going to ask you if these kits are still for sale and then found this link. Do you think these are left over kits? Are these legit? Also curious if you have any track times from your car?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Still have mine, no issues. I was forewarned about the oil pump issues and went with a turbowerx unit.
For all out power they arent the best, but for a street application it has worked out fine.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thegame
Jim I was going to ask you if these kits are still for sale and then found this link. Do you think these are left over kits? Are these legit? Also curious if you have any track times from your car?
If Rick is selling it, I believe it's all first rate. No track times. It's more of a hard pulling street car. If you're going to the track twice a year this will be great, if you're looking for the best 1/4 mile performance there are better ways to spend the money.

I don't go to the drag track anymore, when I did (long time ago), it was a stroker with nitrous.

Are you plans a stock motor, forged? How much horsepower have you driven before?

Jim
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM
DANZGLASS
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a custom single rear mount. Makes 900s. Fun setup works super well.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:02 AM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Sts

Still have mine with 50,000 miles on the STS kit. Original oil pump, turbos, everything. Dyno'd 500 hp to the ground. Loved and continue to love, every time I drive it. Best/stupidest thing I did was 2 years ago put in 4:10's. Now it's extra fun but a handful. Totally different car. (FYI ECBM? died 7 years ago and never replaced so no ABS, Traction Control, Yaw, etc etc.) Need to upgrade the tires. Also run 10w 40 Mobil One. Ran 5w 40 but oil pressure was a little low at idle or real hot. Still on stock original motor at 120,000 miles.

Last edited by 2000BC; 02-23-2017 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2000BC:
BABYBUGY (05-18-2021), CorvetteBrent (05-28-2021)
Old 02-23-2017, 11:45 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hammer
If Rick is selling it, I believe it's all first rate. No track times. It's more of a hard pulling street car. If you're going to the track twice a year this will be great, if you're looking for the best 1/4 mile performance there are better ways to spend the money.

I don't go to the drag track anymore, when I did (long time ago), it was a stroker with nitrous.

Are you plans a stock motor, forged? How much horsepower have you driven before?

Jim
Hey Jim, no I have a 15 Z51 with an ECS kit/headers/meth injection BUT my brother is thinking about picking up a C5 and he likes the power of my car. I told him to be different from most builds and for the sound he may want to look into the sts kits. I will share this thread with him.

Thanks for all the help
Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 AM
Tht_TT_JsbC6
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the sound of the sts kit. I'have a sts stage 3 kit with meth and a fully built ls3 making 780 on low no meth and 1xxx log high with meth
The following 2 users liked this post by Tht_TT_JsbC6:
BABYBUGY (05-18-2021), CorvetteBrent (05-28-2021)
Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tht_TT_JsbC6
Love the sound of the sts kit. I'have a sts stage 3 kit with meth and a fully built ls3 making 780 on low no meth and 1xxx log high with meth
sounds sick! Any track times?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Tht_TT_JsbC6
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegame
sounds sick! Any track times?
not with the built motor and turbos car ran a 10.64 at M.I.R while back... once transmission is redone will be tracking her
Old 05-17-2021, 08:52 PM
adrielius
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just an update! Here's the delivery of the Mini Mantis kit from FDF. Wow... great build quality! It'd be a shame to hide them behind the wheels, hah!
My work week is bonkers, I'll be sure to leave an update after I get time to install them

The following 2 users liked this post by adrielius:
niterydr (06-08-2021), Turbotalon1g (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

well engineered kits can provide a much better all around experience IMHO at a similar price point

the STS wasn't cheap and doesn't spool well AND allow a big top end charge

I'd go huron or TTiX or the fender mount stuff before I'd get too excited about an older STS (*my personal pref of course)

STS was the BOMB back in the day, but I'd think you could do all around better now with modern alternatives

not hatin on anyone that has them and made them work, but if you dig into how all this stuff works and performs you'll go with a custom rear mount or proper front stuff

I think the STS was a super great value and easy install, but if you want to go much beyond 700 (which you SHOULD if you bother with the expense of turbos) there are better ways

and you can make 700 without hairdryers with CI and a nice set of heads, so if you want to play with the big dogs, don't bring a dachsund
The following 2 users liked this post by Rkreigh:
CorvetteBrent (05-28-2021), FourG63 97GST (07-02-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 06:57 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by adrielius
Just an update! Here's the delivery of the Mini Mantis kit from FDF. Wow... great build quality! It'd be a shame to hide them behind the wheels, hah!
My work week is bonkers, I'll be sure to leave an update after I get time to install them

What relevance does that have to an STS turbo kit ?
Old 05-20-2021, 07:38 AM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

whoops. ancient thread. my bad.

Last edited by maybelooking; 05-20-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:19 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BC
Still have mine with 50,000 miles on the STS kit. Original oil pump, turbos, everything. Dyno'd 500 hp to the ground. Loved and continue to love, every time I drive it. Best/stupidest thing I did was 2 years ago put in 4:10's. Now it's extra fun but a handful. Totally different car. (FYI ECBM? died 7 years ago and never replaced so no ABS, Traction Control, Yaw, etc etc.) Need to upgrade the tires. Also run 10w 40 Mobil One. Ran 5w 40 but oil pressure was a little low at idle or real hot. Still on stock original motor at 120,000 miles.
Ancient thread BUT, opportunity for an update and 145,000 miles on stock engine and STS kit and still fun at 500hp. Latest up grade is Nitto's that FINALLY solved the 4:10 gearing drifting problem and late rpm full boost hit. NOT linear like superchargers that's for sure but these tires grip pretty good. Carry on!
Not4spd (06-03-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone still have STS kits?

Old 05-31-2021, 06:40 AM
maybelooking
Le Mans Master

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

well I will update my experience then as well. Just had mine on the dyno. 500 to the wheels on 7.5 lbs boost. I am upgrading my fuel system and going back with a spring change in the waste gate shooting for mid 500s. At some point I will probably change the turbos to go a little bigger and hope for 600ish.

So far the system has been super reliable. Ive only put a couple thousand miles on it.

Not4spd (06-03-2021)
Old 06-04-2021, 06:18 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BC
Ancient thread BUT, opportunity for an update and 145,000 miles on stock engine and STS kit and still fun at 500hp. Latest up grade is Nitto's that FINALLY solved the 4:10 gearing drifting problem and late rpm full boost hit. NOT linear like superchargers that's for sure but these tires grip pretty good. Carry on!
hey now... don't be lumping ALL superchargers into that trashy linear power bucket!
Old 07-02-2021, 06:17 PM
adrielius
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey everyone! So, after my work schedule calmed down I finally had time to install the FDF Mini Mantis this week... WOW, these are great!

The ONLY modification I had to do was filing down a bit of the casting seam from the knuckle to allow the Mini Mantis to fit. (The FDF install video on youtube also mentions this.) I also took the time to replace the front wheel bearings, since the entire knuckle had to come off anyway.

Lastly, I installed rubber boots over the new tie rod ends that came with the kit (I wouldn't want grime building up in these new joints.) If you go that route, you'll definitely want the boot install tool. I could only find it from a couple places online, but that made everything a piece of cake.

The wheels do just barely touch the stock upper control arm at full lock, but it looks like a spacer on the front wheels would solve that issue.

The result:
The car turns GREAT! No more swinging the wheel around just to make a normal turn. It's very responsive, and turns like a go kart. I would highly recommend this kit!

After thoughts:
I can tell why Chevy didn't opt for this sharp turning radius, the rear tires will squeal a tiny bit on normal driving occasionally. But who doesn't enjoy that sound, right?

Thanks for all your thoughts along the way. Hope this is helpful for anyone looking to do the same in the future!

Quick Reply: Anyone still have STS kits?