C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoods and cooling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:50 PM
PZZATHG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoods and cooling

I have a procharged C5 and live in Phoenix. Currently only have 1 fan due to the kit I have. In the summers the car runs hot as hell. My question is what kind of hood would help keep my coolant temps down, a vented hood or a cowl induction hood. Not doing this for cosmetic reasons looking to run a little cooler yet have the hood hold up at 150mph+ (1/2mile). I have been scouring the internet but having hard time finding which hood cools better in stop and go traffic.

Last edited by PZZATHG; 02-21-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Don't think any hood helps in traffic. I know I added a vent and the only noticeable difference is it cools down quicker once you start moving.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 PM
PZZATHG
Advanced

So extractor hoods or cowl induction only works when the vehicle is in motion?

Last edited by PZZATHG; 02-21-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PZZATHG
So extractor hoods or cowl induction only works when the vehicle is in motion?
It will work either way. The heat has a place to escape even when sitting still in traffic. However, it would be FAR more efficient when moving.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 AM
toycloser
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Investing in a dual fan kit might be money better spent.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PZZATHG
I have a procharged C5 and live in Phoenix. Currently only have 1 fan due to the kit I have. In the summers the car runs hot as hell. My question is what kind of hood would help keep my coolant temps down, a vented hood or a cowl induction hood. Not doing this for cosmetic reasons looking to run a little cooler yet have the hood hold up at 150mph+ (1/2mile). I have been scouring the internet but having hard time finding which hood cools better in stop and go traffic.
Kill 2 birds with one stone, ditch the old Procharger intake and lower the radiator and go over the top with the intake and reinstall the factory dual fan setup. You will run cooler and gain ~40rwhp.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:19 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

i really like the trackspec vents. been ~175mph in the 1/2 mile and it improved front end stability noticeably. previously with no vent i could see the hood bulge a little at >170mph (in the 1/2 mile at the track) and with the vents not anymore.

cooling was about as Canuk stated. helps cool it down a lot once moving and runs maybe 8* cooler at speed but no real big difference once stuck in traffic for long periods of time. but if you come to a stop colder it helps overall. i have no data to support this yet since hard to measure IATs at WOT with methanol on an apples/apples basis over time, but if air flow is moving better thorugh the radiator to make it run colder at speed it must be improving air flow through intercooler too? i think it looks awesome too and it was cheap and easy. I recommend it as every bit helps but it's not a game changer on its own

Last edited by neverstop; 02-22-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

what's killing your car man is the older style kit and the single fan. If you convert to the newer setup you can do a traditional dual fan setup and it will be perfect. All the blower guys we do have zero overheating issues.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 PM
trayack
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I decided to try the ZL1 hood vent that a lot of the FI C6 guys have been using for Drag Week this year. I never had an issue with temps before but I figured it couldn't hurt on the long heat soaked drives. I can honestly say that this hood vent lowered my cruise temps by a full 10 degrees, and after sitting in traffic it also cooled off much faster once you got moving again.

During long stints in traffic (10 mins stationary at construction) during a 300 miles drive in 90 degree weather the car did get up to 217 once. Yes I know this isn't "hot" for a vette, but I'd rather catch it then before it goes past the point of coming back. My simple solution....open the hood and keep moving. With the cutouts for the headlights in the hood there's actually a fair amount of visibility

Plus, it was hysterical to see the faces of the other people in traffic...

- Travis
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM
PZZATHG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
what's killing your car man is the older style kit and the single fan. If you convert to the newer setup you can do a traditional dual fan setup and it will be perfect. All the blower guys we do have zero overheating issues.
thats on my list Joe! I'm switching over to E85 tomorrow. In the next month or so I am going to Lower the radiator, get that second fan back in there and ditch the cobra style intake. I will be calling you for a hard pipe and filter soon. Hope all is well buddy.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 PM
PZZATHG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
thats on my list Joe! I'm switching over to E85 tomorrow. In the next month or so I am going to Lower the radiator, get that second fan back in there and ditch the cobra style intake. I will be calling you for a hard pipe and filter soon. Hope all is well buddy.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:00 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

[QUOTE=trayack;1594153976]I decided to try the ZL1 hood vent that a lot of the FI C6 guys have been using for Drag Week

Where did you get that? Looks trick.
Might be an issue for me in Fl with all the rain though
Old 02-24-2017, 04:06 PM
StatmanRN
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

A while back, got into a disagreement with someone on here who had been an engineer on the C5 regarding aerodynamics and cooling.
I was discussing how I found that poping the hood in traffic, and at highway speeds, seemed to help cooling [which now that I have an aluminum radiator isnt an issue.
his contention is that the high pressure air of the cowl induction hood would actually hurt cooling.
My own experiance in other cars was the cowl hods defintily helped cooling in traffic

Last edited by StatmanRN; 02-24-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:19 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You could test this by just plugging the cowl gap in the back so it doesn't vent and seeing what the temps are versus it open.

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
A while back, got into a disagreement with someone on here who had been an engineer on the C5 regarding aerodynamics and cooling.
I was discussing how I found that poping the hood in traffic, and at highway speeds, seemed to help cooling [which now that I have an aluminum radiator isnt an issue.
his contention is that the high pressure air of the cowl induction hood would actually hurt cooling.
My own experiance in other cars was the cowl hods defintily helped cooling in traffic
Old 02-25-2017, 02:58 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm using a tracspec vent and it did lower my under hood and engine temperature. They also sell smaller side hood vents that I may invest in next. I'd like my temps as low as possible. If possible sub 200* peak.

Last edited by junk c5; 02-25-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Something like that.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM
toycloser
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll sell you this hood for $24.5k and it will come with a car!
Old 02-26-2017, 01:21 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by StatmanRN
on my c6 removing the weather stripping at the back of the hood helped with cooling when moving a small but noticable amount for sure

Get notified of new replies

To Hoods and cooling

Quick Reply: Hoods and cooling