C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd pass on new setup. In car video.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 2nd pass on new setup. In car video.

Car ended up trapping 148...and was well into 5th gear. 25.9" rear tire is my street setup(335-30-18 R888s) and I have 3.42s, and a ZR1 TR6060. When I am fixed up, I will run a taller tire, and possibly a different gear.

Ended up hurting the motor on this run. Launched the car at roughly 2-3k and attempting to slip...instead I bogged it and stalled(too little rpm-14.7lb clutch/flywheel didn't like the low rpm, and traction). I then stood on it in 1st,...granny shifted 2nd...and shifted just a little quicker from 3rd-5th.

Best played loud. Car went 104mph in 8th on this run and 148 on the back half picking up 44mph. I was a little surprised to have to bang 5th, and be well into it.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Now that's dedication. I would have called it a wrap and started fresh with another pass.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by junk c5
Now that's dedication. I would have called it a wrap and started fresh with another pass.
I had to man. Line was getting so long for the staging lanes, just said here's one for science and let it rip.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM
junk c5
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
I had to man. Line was getting so long for the staging lanes, just said here's one for science and let it rip.
May as well get some tuning data since you sat in the lanes.
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Exactly.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:06 PM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Sorry to hear about hurting the motor. Any idea what happened and what the damage is?
The following users liked this post:
Smoove (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by inspector12
Sorry to hear about hurting the motor. Any idea what happened and what the damage is?

Thanks. It sucks. It lifted a driver side head gasket, but caused no visible damage on that side. On the passenger side, #2 cylinder water jacket caved in. That piece fell into cylinder at about idle speeds(rpm), hydra locked, although didn't break piston. Head will be fine, just some scaring.

So now,...I have to figure out which route to go since I need a block. Either find an LS2 block, or cast iron 6.0 block, new piston/rod/bearings, and go from there.

or,..by an LSA block, and build that. I really don't know yet, I didn't plan for this(since it was just finished). Car may sit for a while, I may de-mod it, or I dunno yet.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:32 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

NOOOOOOOO!! that's terrible news. I'm sorry to hear that man

you could probably pick up just the piston/rod for the cylinders that got damaged, get a cheap escalade block and have it back together without too much money and only out maybe a weekend to pull it out. Too much blood/sweat/tears into this one to demod and sell it though, i had endless issues with my car but finally got it nailed and that first pull through 5th gear at 1/2 mile at >900whp was glorious and worth it.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:40 PM
JDS99
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to see the damage, man. Especially right after getting it all going.

The math doesn't line up though for being in 5th at that mph. Are you sure something wasn't slipping? Or shifting early? I saw you mentioned shift light at 6750, but for that tire diameter in 4th and 3.42 rear it should be doing 152.14mph at 6750.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 PM
TheCartel
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah man just pickup a 5.3 iron and let it rip!!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCartel
got just the thing for ya. 4.8 iron block bored .040, wiseco pistons, gen4 rods with sps good rod bolts, std stock crank

I'll let it go cheap as I need the $$$

This will get you back on the road and will hold the power well.

If you want to get more exotic I have an alum block, same .040 3.82 with lunati 4.0 forged crank, lunati rods, wiseco pistons for 9.5 to 1 CR.

That motor will be ready as soon as I can afford to buy the pistons!!

PM me if ya need anything. I also have a couple of bare blocks if you want to transfer your current internals. all 4.8 stuff as they hold the boost well and don't blow the HG!!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:53 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neverstop
NOOOOOOOO!! that's terrible news. I'm sorry to hear that man

you could probably pick up just the piston/rod for the cylinders that got damaged, get a cheap escalade block and have it back together without too much money and only out maybe a weekend to pull it out. Too much blood/sweat/tears into this one to demod and sell it though, i had endless issues with my car but finally got it nailed and that first pull through 5th gear at 1/2 mile at >900whp was glorious and worth it.

Thanks, definitely blows. The motor is about ready to come out now, I should have it out by today or tomorrow hopefully. Best case scenario, I find the same block, and do as you mentioned, buying a piston and rod, calling it a day.

Originally Posted by JDS99
Sorry to see the damage, man. Especially right after getting it all going.

The math doesn't line up though for being in 5th at that mph. Are you sure something wasn't slipping? Or shifting early? I saw you mentioned shift light at 6750, but for that tire diameter in 4th and 3.42 rear it should be doing 152.14mph at 6750.
Something is not right for sure. I have been saying that since that night they handed me the time slip. Heres why, and I think you're with me on this by your post.

1)R888s, and no tire spin, although the car DID throw me back pretty good and pull very strong, I questioned this.
2)I barely had to drive the car. I think I could have let the wheel go the entire way down the track, and wouldn't have matter, it went so straight.
3)I made an ungodly amount of boost, ungodly amount, so it should have been making some serious power.
4)I was halfway through 5th(148 trap) and I wasn't shifting THAT slow and I was indeed shifting at 6700ish.

I feel that the clutch may not have been fully disengaging or slipping possibly. I will be checking that right before the motor comes out. I will also say that in testing, and my first pass at the track, something felt odd in the gear selections. Felt like it wasn't releasing quick enough, that or the tune was holding me up. Unsure. But something isn't right.

Originally Posted by TheCartel
I just sold an LS2, a L92, a cast iron 6.0, and a cast iron 5.3...literally a month ago to finish the build and make space. Currently looking for replacement ideas and parts.

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
got just the thing for ya. 4.8 iron block bored .040, wiseco pistons, gen4 rods with sps good rod bolts, std stock crank

I'll let it go cheap as I need the $$$

This will get you back on the road and will hold the power well.

If you want to get more exotic I have an alum block, same .040 3.82 with lunati 4.0 forged crank, lunati rods, wiseco pistons for 9.5 to 1 CR.

That motor will be ready as soon as I can afford to buy the pistons!!

PM me if ya need anything. I also have a couple of bare blocks if you want to transfer your current internals. all 4.8 stuff as they hold the boost well and don't blow the HG!!
Interested indeed. Dunno how, or when I will be able to purchase but I am interested. I always sell and move stuff around so maybe I can come up with something. I am in no major rush due to likely cost of this. I'll shoot you a pm in a few.

Thanks all.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

I bet clutch slip. With cars that powerful it's not always easy to tell the difference between a little bit of clutch slip and some tire spin and everything else going on and i bet the torque on that setup is insane. mantic ftw.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by neverstop
I bet clutch slip. With cars that powerful it's not always easy to tell the difference between a little bit of clutch slip and some tire spin and everything else going on and i bet the torque on that setup is insane. mantic ftw.
I am thinking it is more of a correct bearing size issue, than an actual parts failure. Clutch is a fresh rebuild and highly capable of laying down some serious power. I would be a little upset if it failed under standard load. However what I am seeing in the log,...their is nothing standard about the load it was under lol so maybe it could have over powered the clutch.

Tilton Engineering triple plate carbon clutch.
http://tiltonracing.com/product/7-25...cing-clutches/
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Hydraulics, depth of slave/bearing, all checks out. Motor coming out today, will know more about discs later.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoove
Motor coming out today
Sad news.

Did the Holley ECU logs show any knock?

What plugs?

Did your tuner ever try to check if knock sensor are functioning?

Did you ever do a proper load testing at dyno with decent knock headphones?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:32 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

As above too, logs will show clear as day if there is any clutch slip.

And I've never seen mathematical speed calcs from gearing tie in exactly with either track, GPS or proper live speed measurements.
The live speed measurement always falls a little slower than what the maths or gear calcs indicate.

Get notified of new replies

To 2nd pass on new setup. In car video.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pekka_Perkeles
Sad news.

Did the Holley ECU logs show any knock?

What plugs?

Did your tuner ever try to check if knock sensor are functioning?

Did you ever do a proper load testing at dyno with decent knock headphones?
Originally Posted by stevieturbo
As above too, logs will show clear as day if there is any clutch slip.

And I've never seen mathematical speed calcs from gearing tie in exactly with either track, GPS or proper live speed measurements.
The live speed measurement always falls a little slower than what the maths or gear calcs indicate.

The data logs shows a lot of things I didn't want to see so far. I am still reviewing the tune to see if negligence was in play.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

The logs are there to help learn, and great for diagnosing issues getting there too.

Hopefully something will be found as to the cause.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Several things I have found, I do not like. Safety wise.

Quick Reply: 2nd pass on new setup. In car video.