C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Oil Seal/Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 04:59 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Turbo Oil Seal/Leak Help

Hey guys, this is actually on my turbo ls1 swapped 95 mustang...didnt know where else to ask for help...

Im kinda new to turbos (my c5z is procharged), noticed an oil leak coming out of the exhaust housing, i took it apart, now the oil seal looks kinda like a piston ring...in the pic is that too much of a gap, or is something else my problem...thanks

Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Turpid porpoise
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 278 Posts

I would just send it back to the manufacturer for a rebuild or start looking at new turbos. Do you have any shots of the oil drain line? Was it kinked, bent or clogged? Do you run an oil restrictor in the feed line?

Last edited by Turpid porpoise; 03-28-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Turbos DO NOT have oil seals.

The piston ring seal is to prevent turbine pressure in this instance entering the central core.

Oil control is via oil slingers and the fact the oil drain will always allow more oil to pass than is entering the turbo via the feed.

It isnt to say your turbo is not fucked, but that seal is not an oil seal. Many oil related problems there are due to drain problems.

What is the history here ? has it ever ran right, was it always smokey, etc etc ?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:07 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Turbos DO NOT have oil seals.

The piston ring seal is to prevent turbine pressure in this instance entering the central core.

Oil control is via oil slingers and the fact the oil drain will always allow more oil to pass than is entering the turbo via the feed.

It isnt to say your turbo is not fucked, but that seal is not an oil seal. Many oil related problems there are due to drain problems.

What is the history here ? has it ever ran right, was it always smokey, etc etc ?
It is has only seen about 8 psi, hardly ever driven ecause im still working out some tuning issues with the car...the drain looks good, goes straight down, i did just recently put an oil restrictor on the oil feed, and i re gapped and seated that piston ring...hasnt leaked yet
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Drain means the physical part, line size, direction etc...and also crankcase ability to receive that oil. ie it needs to be able to breathe.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo Oil Seal/Leak Help

Quick Reply: Turbo Oil Seal/Leak Help