C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alcohol Injection?

Old 12-16-2003, 09:15 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alcohol Injection?

Hey All,

Was doing a little "web surfing" and came across this link:
http://www.rjcracing.com/SMC_Alcohol...injection.html

Anyone currently using this setup? Sounds like a great thing for a guy with a ton of hp that could overpower their fuel system.

Any thoughts/opinions out there?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:44 PM
BADBLACK99
Racer

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (dads01dream)

I have been very interested in this. I have seen a couple others some better some worse. I think this mod will take some research to do it right the first time. I wonder if this same set up can be used with water/methanol injection instead of alcohol? That would be alot nicer as I think they use windshield washer fluid which is supposed to be a 50/50 mix. I can't wait to get this sort of set up on my car! :thumbs:
Old 12-16-2003, 10:29 PM
99C5ragtop
Pro

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (BADBLACK99)

If I understand it correctly it's alcohol injection into the engine to offset fuel starvation and lower detonation threshold. I don't think it's a spray kit over an intercooler.
:confused:
Old 12-16-2003, 11:23 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (99C5ragtop)

If I understand it correctly it's alcohol injection into the engine to offset fuel starvation and lower detonation threshold. I don't think it's a spray kit over an intercooler.
:confused:
:withstupid: I think one forum member is experimenting with spraying the intercooler (Quicksilver maybe :confused: ). I haven't heard of anyone trying this, but it looks very interesting. :yesnod:
Old 12-17-2003, 02:50 AM
cfi_luz
Drifting

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (SleepieAce)

I used this setup on my supra. It increases the octane dramatically (detonation prevention) and adds fuel. I was able to run 25lb+ on the street with 91 octane and stock fuel system! It can be set to come on above a preset boost level. I had mine come on above 18lbs and a tank of methanol (small washer fluid size) would last me about the same as a tank of gas with lots of fun time. I used a 70/30 mix of meth/water. The GN guys love this setup also. IM if you have any questions.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Alvin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (cfi_luz)

I've got a kit on my eaton supercharged formula as well.

Big **** water pump and mc master carr nozzels. I fabbed up a part throttle switch to kick the system on at 25% throttle. (its the same blower you mag guys have and all of you guys know thats boost territory)
http://community.webshots.com/user/apanderson101

I'll say too that its a awesome chemical intercooler. its not uncommon for me to datalog temperatures to go from 10-20 degrees above ambient to 10 degrees colder PRE blower.. I don't have a temp sender after the blower.

[Modified by Alvin, 3:14 PM 12/17/2003]
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM
cfi_luz
Drifting

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (Alvin)

Correct, I forgot to add the much colder intake temps. I sprayed mine after the turbos and sometimes, even during summer, I would get frost/ice on the throttle body after some hard runs!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:35 PM
99C5ragtop
Pro

So you're spraying water and methanol into the engine??? I would have never thought a water mix would go internal....shows what I know....interesting....what are the long term effects to the engine? If I have a forged shortblock am I going to mess it up???

THX!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:21 PM
cfi_luz
Drifting

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (99C5ragtop)

No, no harm. In fact when you tear down an engine that has used water/meth injection it looks brand new. Everytime you spray its like steam cleaning your engine since the water vaporizes in the combustion chamber. My motor had 168k miles on it and the pistons were shiny, no carbon buildup on the valves, it looked amazing. I used the water injection for the last 20k or so miles. I only tore the engine down to upgrade the pistons, it was still running strong (this was a supra, not c5 btw).
Old 12-17-2003, 03:49 PM
StreetRacingGuy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (dads01dream)

I have seen this done on Turbo and SUpercharged engines....anyone ever hear of this being used on nitrous motors for adding octane? I know propane injection works pretty well for this, but alcohol injection is an easier install.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:18 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (StreetRacingGuy)

Hmmm...more and more interesting. Anyone know what the average install time would be for a DIYer?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:26 AM
cfi_luz
Drifting

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (SleepieAce)

Not too bad, I'd guess 2-4 hours depending on vehicle. It is a very simple system, mount the tank, pump, nozzle and hobbs (pressure) switch. Tuning will be the more time intensive part.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:31 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing water/alky injection on my car for almost a year now. It is a very good alternative to race gas, but requires quite a bit of tuning and experimentation. I have had some great results, but I have also had a few unexplained tuning problems with my setup that I have not gotten to the bottom of yet.

I wish I could just give you guys the magic formula (I've spent a ton of time on this), but I still have not gotten it all figured out. I hope to have some more data here in the next few weeks.

Anyway, I once read some very intresting information about water injection on the turbo Buicks. GM apparently had water injection planned for factory install on those cars (look closely and you can see the h20 injection light on the dash). They did extreme endurance testing on the motor where they took it from idle to sustained WOT for something like the equivalent of 500,000 miles. This was like running 2 million 1/4 passes (don't quote me on this, but it was something extreme). At the end of the test they tore the motors down and inspected them for any signs of wear. Apparently, the motor with the h20 injection had slightly more wear on the cylinder walls than the ones that did not and they decided to pull the feature at the last minute, since they were already hitting the power levels they needed and the knock sensing electronics were proving to be very effective.

So, there is probably some very minor wear assocated with the injection due to some additional washdown, but it is nothing compared to what detonation does to your motor.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:59 AM
corvette184
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (QuickSilver2002)

i used 5 last night.....Heineken's :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Old 12-18-2003, 11:04 AM
BADBLACK99
Racer

Default Re: Alcohol Injection? (corvette184)

i used 5 last night.....Heineken's :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
hahaha... I injected some jagermeister myself! :lol:

[Modified by BADBLACK99, 4:21 PM 12/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Alcohol Injection?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alcohol Injection?