C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 AM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Default How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson?

If I remember correctly, the non intercooled versions were picking up close to 500rwhp. . .so how much is possible with the i/c?

How much is possible without getting too aggressive?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:24 PM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (PaceThis)

I've heard the intercooler adds about 40-50 hp, but that's on a stock engine. I really don't know about a heads/cam engine.

TTT and maybe someone else can answer... :cheers:

Edit: Somedays I can't spell for s**t... :bb

[Modified by SleepieAce, 12:25 PM 2/26/2004]
Old 02-26-2004, 01:36 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

It really depends on the head/cam package that you add, I'm doing a head and cam swap now on a non intercooled Magnuson and I hope to be somewhere in the 500 RWHP range and if Magnuson ever starts doing retrofits I hope to be close to 550 RWHP.

Of course I don't really expect my transmission to hold up once the heads, cam and Magnuson are retuned :crazy:
Old 02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Were all waiting for LPE to post results on an 04 Z with an I/C mag.

I'm going to do a GT2/3 cam install and wait for LPE to post results.

Sould be in excess of 500 SAERWHP.

:cheers:
Old 02-26-2004, 05:10 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

If I remember correctly, the non intercooled versions were picking up close to 500rwhp. . .so how much is possible with the i/c?

How much is possible without getting too aggressive?
First off consider the previous posts as to whether they are LS1's or LS6's. The non-intercooled version, alone, typically nets about 85-115 more rwhp. Beyond that, the next biggest ways shown here to increase that have been cams (such as in mine) and smaller pulley. The latter is a little tricky because the tune has to account for the added heat and issues. I only recall one post on an LS1 that got a non-IC in the 480s rwhp, and all others seem to be more in the line of 450 rwhp.

Now, with the IC, that seems to tack on another 40 rwhp, so in an LS1 with other mods 500 or close is more reachable, and certainly I would guess an LS6 will get there. :seeya
Old 02-26-2004, 05:45 PM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

why such a big difference in the LS1 and the LS6. I'm doing a cam change, that should help quite a bit. I would think the higher compression on the LS6 would hurt when you turn the boost up?? :confused: :confused:
Old 02-26-2004, 06:09 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (BigLew)

why such a big difference in the LS1 and the LS6. I'm doing a cam change, that should help quite a bit. I would think the higher compression on the LS6 would hurt when you turn the boost up?? :confused: :confused:
I thought I remember reading that the LS6 cam is FI friendly. Wouldn't the heads have more to do with this than the cam?

Mark

Old 02-26-2004, 07:22 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (mdhmi)

with the non-ic mag you should be able to get around 480-500rwhp. I have 483rwhp with my non-ic mag, 21CMC cam and a smaller pulley. The problem with the mag is that it runs out of cfm so if you go too big on the cam or heads you will lose HP!!! I talked to Lingenfelter and they told me their gt2 or gt3 cam only gave them 15rwhp on a mag. They then added their heads to the cam and mag and then LOST 30rwhp!! So far the LS6 heads are the perfect ones for the mag. Not too big, but more than the stock LS1 heads. 21CMC cam was designed for the Mag and it is perfect. With another pulley swap and LS6 heads I should be around 530rwhp with no intercooler and with 7 1/2lbs of boost.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:23 PM
dfwroadkill
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I have the non ic Mag, with the LPE/21st CMC cam in a '03 Z06. With the standard pulley I get 486 RWHP. With the smaller pulley, the car pulled 502.3 RWHP on a 108 degree shop day. You can't run the small pulley safely in hot climates because it is very difficult to tune the car to insure you won't get detonation.

I would ditto Vettewreck on the info he understood from LPE concerning cams and heads as I got the same story. They told me if I added headers with the Maggie, I would probably loose hp. But if I did heads and headers, I would probably gain 20-25 RWHP. It was 20-25 RWHP vs $4,500, not worth it.

I talked to John about upgrading to the ic. He says around $4,000 for the work and estimates 20 RWHP gained. I don't know if he was considering that the ic version may allow me to run the small pulley full time and that it could represent a little more power in this configuration.

:D
Old 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (dfwroadkill)

dfwroadkill, you didn't mention what size pulley you ran to get the higher hp but couldn't tune it for the hotter weather. I'm thinking about trying a 3.2 and see if it can be tuned to run ok. Has anyone put the LS6 heads on the LS1 engine and dynoed the results?? What would a set of the heads cost?? :confused:
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 PM
dfwroadkill
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (BigLew)

I don't really know the smaller pulley size. 3.2 sounds like what John at 21st CMC said. I do know that they did say they had that one custom made, it wasn't a stock part, at least last August. Just one of those things that LPE/21st Century prefer to keep to themselves I take it.

I am certain that someone has switched heads and dynoed. John Page at 21st CMC is excellent to discuss this with. You should give him a call. I think you'll be glad you did. (972) 417-7177.

:D
Old 02-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Burk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my car back from 21st Century MC and plan to post a separate thread, but here are my details: '98 LS1 Vert MN6 with Intercooled Magnason, LPE blower cam and Z06 heads. RWHP was 490.8 and Torq was 453.6. I believe the pulley is a 3.3 (or maybe 3.4). I may go with a smaller pulley later, but I'm not sure I want to stress my stock bottom end with much more than 500 rwhp anyhow. I'll let some other folks try it first, and see how their motors hold up.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:03 AM
3C2
Instructor

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (Burk)

When you say LS6 heads, do you mean regular unported ones? Also, does anyone if 4.10's would be too much gear (no track use, only street) for all the low end torque that the magnusson produces?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:51 AM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (3C2)

When you say LS6 heads, do you mean regular unported ones? Also, does anyone if 4.10's would be too much gear (no track use, only street) for all the low end torque that the magnusson produces?
If you're sure you're not going to the track, then I would not go with the 4.10s unless you're planning on always having drag radials on your car on the street. I have 3.73s and on the street on street tires I go thru tires real fast, without even trying. :seeya
Old 03-01-2004, 11:01 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (SteveL2)

I have 3.73s and on the street on street tires I go thru tires real fast, without even trying. :seeya
Not to hijack the thread but what RPM are you hitting when you go through the traps, I just installed 3.73's but haven't made it out to the track yet.
Old 03-01-2004, 02:02 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (runamuk)

...what RPM are you hitting when you go through the traps, I just installed 3.73's but haven't made it out to the track yet.
I can't say I've paid attention, but my guess is pretty close to finishing 4th gear. If my schedule holds up, I'll be racing this upcoming Saturday, and I'll let you know.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Burk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (3C2)

My heads are stock Z06 heads.

Get notified of new replies

To How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson?

Old 03-04-2004, 11:36 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (Burk)

Burk, you should go with the 3.4 or even the 3.1 pulley. Youd probably be one of the highest outputing hp magnachager there is. That should put you at 530rwhp in theory. Your bottom end can take it no prob with a good tune!!
Old 03-05-2004, 06:02 PM
SilverC5inOhio
Racer

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (vettewreck)

Burk, you should go with the 3.4 or even the 3.1 pulley. Youd probably be one of the highest outputing hp magnachager there is. That should put you at 530rwhp in theory. Your bottom end can take it no prob with a good tune!!
Is this an underdrive or overdrive pulley you guys are talking about reducing?

:confused:
Old 03-05-2004, 06:37 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson? (dfwroadkill)

I talked to John about upgrading to the ic. He says around $4,000 for the work
:confused:

I'd like a break down of that figure. Seems pretty steep to me.

Quick Reply: How much hp possible with heads, cam, and i/c magnuson?