Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake Fluid Change

I may need to change my brake fluid on my 2002 C5 to insure I have clear fluid when I get a tech inspection prior to participating in a track day at Texas Motor Speedway. I'm not for sure exactly how to do this on a C5. In the past on other cars, I have used a turkey baster to suck most of the fluid out of the master cylinder, then refill it with new fluid and bleed the brakes one at a time starting with the back brakes until clear fluid comes out of each bleed point. I just don't know if this is a good procedure for my vette. Can anyone give me some pointers on this? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

I do know that if a line is opened above the brake pressure modulator valve assembly (ABS), or if the BPMV or master cylinder are replaced, you have to bleed the system with a Tech 2 or equivalent tool. The Tech 2 exercises the internal solenoids allowing the air to bleed out of the BPMV.
To change the fluid like you suggested might be ok to remove 95 percent of the old fluid. There could be some old fluid in the solenoid cavities of the BPMV that would not be bled through the system unless you exercise the solenoids. However, as long as no air is entered into the system, it SHOULD be ok. Never tried it so I have to say "should."
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Email me at edbon@adelphia.net and I'll send you the procedure.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

Your procedure is about right I think. Start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way in. Make sure you keep plenty of fluid in the the reservoir so as to not suck air in.

If you plan on doing this often, take a look at speed bleeders. They make it an easy one man operation.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:04 PM
HOTSOSS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patches
Email me at edbon@adelphia.net and I'll send you the procedure.
Ed, your procedures were great. Thanks so much. This forum and it's members are awesome.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a local exhaust/brake shop do mine with Power Bleeder. No muss, no fuss $40 well spent.... in and out in 1/2 hour. Gave them an 8X10 glossy standing by my vette in front of their shop. They loved it!

Look forward to seeing you at the track! Gonna be a GREAT DAY!

Make sure all the paperwork and your $$$ has been sent in. The tally ONLY counts once the $$$ has been received.

Anyone else interested in running your street car at Texas Motor Speedway on March 11, 2005, a full day of fun.......

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR MORE INFO

Send your email to dawn@texasdrivingexperience.com

I got hooked.. I have no affilliation with the hosts of the event.. Just trying to Jazz up enough people to come on out and experience what your *street* car was made to do in a safe and controlled environment!

~~~

Watch a Video clip of what you can expect - 2 Hours Track Time - approx 150 miles!

~~~

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Fluid Change

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Change