Removing the panel(s) around the rear speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default Removing the panel(s) around the rear speaker

I'm trying to locate and silence an intermittent metallic buzzing sound coming from the area somewhere between the rear speaker housing and the door. It happens only on certain slightly rough road surfaces.

It's not the speaker grill or the speaker itself. It seems to be at the area where the seatbelt holder goes into the side of the car.

I need detailed instructions on how to remove those plastic panels so I can get back under there and take a look and fill the area with something.

Anybody been there and have pics to show what to do?

Hey EG, didn't you do that last week with your Frost King installation?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 04-26-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:43 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You didn't mention what side of the car the noise is coming from. The BCM (Body Control Module) is located on the drivers side in the area you describe, adjacent to the fuel filler. The plastic interior trim in that area is just double-sided taped to the body panel - could be causing the buzz. By your avatar, it looks like you have a coupe. Open the rear hatch and look up under the edge of the body where it meets the hatch just behind the drivers seat. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:13 AM
FRC#44
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
I'm trying to locate and silence an intermittent metallic buzzing sound coming from the area somewhere between the rear speaker housing and the door. It happens only on certain slightly rough road surfaces.

It's not the speaker grill or the speaker itself. It seems to be at the area where the seatbelt holder goes into the side of the car.

I need detailed instructions on how to remove those plastic panels so I can get back under there and take a look and fill the area with something.

Anybody been there and have pics to show what to do?

I am removing the rear speaker panels from my coupe this week in preparation to tub the car. Referring to book 3 of the service manual here is a condensed version of the steps involved:

Remove seat belt bolt that goes through panel
Take top off
Remove halo panel (between removable top and rear hatch) from top of car. Not necessary to remove weatherstrip. Must remove four black small push pins (most likely you will need to buy new push pins when you reinstall-total of four small and one large one per side).
Remove small black push pin from top of rear speaker panel
Remove one or two small black push pins from door weatherstripping that is attached to rear speaker panel (believe only one goes through the speaker panel)
Remove rear window strut that goes through panel after unclipping defrost wires on top and bottom of strut (must support rear hatch or it will fall on your head)
Remove speaker grill (they clip on)
Remove rear speaker panel (large) push pin that can be seen when you take speaker grills out.
Remove rear speaker panel. Note there is another very large white push pin on the bottom rear of the panel which will come out with the panel (doesn't look like it will have to be replaced upon reinstalling the panel) .

Last edited by FRC#44; 04-27-2005 at 08:39 AM. Reason: changed instructions
Old 04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by FRC#44
I am removing the rear speaker panels from my coupe this week in preparation to tub the car. Referring to book 3 of the service manual here is a condensed version of the steps involved:

Remove seat belt bolt that goes through panel
Take top off
Remove halo panel (between removable top and rear hatch) from top of car (first must remove weatherstrip)
Remove side weatherstripping that is attached to rear speaker panel
Remove rear window strut(s) that goes through panel after unclipping defrost wires on top and bottom of strut (must support rear hatch or it will fall on your head)
Remove speaker grills (they clip on)
Remove rear speaker panel clips that can be seen when you take speaker grills out.
Remove rear speaker panel
Wow. Thanks. I'd forgotten about that post. Think I may try it this weekend.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 PM
zeusoftexas
Instructor

My 97 fuel pump sounds like radio noise. Start the car, get out, and listen around the rear driver side tire. You can hear it alot better out side the car. If it is that, nothing is wrong with anything, the fuel pump is just loud.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:43 AM
FRC#44
Racer

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Wow. Thanks. I'd forgotten about that post. Think I may try it this weekend.
Revised above instructions after taking out rear speaker panels last night.

Frank
Old 04-27-2005, 08:50 AM
maxfli's5
Racer

Originally Posted by zeusoftexas
My 97 fuel pump sounds like radio noise. Start the car, get out, and listen around the rear driver side tire. You can hear it alot better out side the car. If it is that, nothing is wrong with anything, the fuel pump is just loud.
mine too

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the panel(s) around the rear speaker

Quick Reply: Removing the panel(s) around the rear speaker