Sponsored by:

C5 Radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 PM
SLVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Radio reception

I've checked the threads and can't find any complaints about radio reception in the C5 coups. I have a '99 and have never been happy about the radio reception. My other cars seem to pickup local stations without much static, but my vette's reception isn't very clear (a fair amount of static). I live in northern VA where I should get great reception. Anyone else notice this? Could I have a loose antenna connection, or is this symptomatic of the vette's in-glass antenna?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, can't help...I've got a vert and the reception is great. I at least got you back up to the top.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I notice some static when using my iPod/iTrip combo. (I also have the in-glass antenna.)
Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Make sure that both antennas connections are snug. There is a antenna in the front window and on the top of the rear window.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:16 PM
SLVette
Intermediate

Thanks Zilla. . . Are these connections on the back of the radio, are they somewhere on the glass panels(or both)? I guess you'd have to pull the stereo out to check, huh?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by SLVette
Thanks Zilla. . . Are these connections on the back of the radio, are they somewhere on the glass panels(or both)? I guess you'd have to pull the stereo out to check, huh?
Not sure where the one for the front window is but you can see the one on the rear window at the top. You can see the rear antenna very easily on the rear window. it is just below the black dotted area.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Sponge Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Unfortunately the coupes antena is built into the glass, unlike the convertible or the Z06 that come with their own exterior antenas. Check your local stereo shop, they might be able to install some sort of booster.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

When my coupe had that problem it was because the antenna came unpluged.

Look behind the drivers seat, under the carpet, and you will find a Y connection where the 2 antennas come together.

My bet is it came apart.

My coupe has excellent reception and I live in the sticks as far as radio towers go.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Anderson
Advanced

The problem is the in glass antenna, not a loose connection. Twice I asked to have it looked at during visits to the shop for other matters. Both times, from different dealers, I was told no problems. I live in the Chicago area and have much better reception with my other two cars, but the vette simply does not pick up as many stations. The people who respond "I have no problems" either do not listen to all available stations, or all available stations must have a strong signal in the first place. For the people who have no problems, does the vette actually pickup every station as well as your other cars. Have you actually checked every station? I have.

It does pick up stations, however definitely not as many. Throughtout the years here on the forum, I have seen many others complain about the same thing.

Question : Is it possible to connect an ordinary antenna and have it installed somewhere inside the car? Seeing as how the car is fiberglass, seems like there would not be much signal loss.

I just think getting rid of the original antenna would help considerably.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette
Unfortunately the coupes antena is built into the glass, unlike the convertible or the Z06 that come with their own exterior antenas. Check your local stereo shop, they might be able to install some sort of booster.
Thats why my reception sucks. Its in the freakin windshield. Good design GM.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by BrightRed C5 SWFL
Thats why my reception sucks. Its in the freakin windshield. Good design GM.

my reception is great in my coupe
Old 03-08-2005, 11:57 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't have any problem at all with reception in my coupe!
Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Pilot135R
Racer

I've checked the threads and can't find any complaints about radio reception in the C5 coups. I have a '99 and have never been happy about the radio reception. My other cars seem to pickup local stations without much static, but my vette's reception isn't very clear (a fair amount of static). I live in northern VA where I should get great reception. Anyone else notice this? Could I have a loose antenna connection, or is this symptomatic of the vette's in-glass antenna?
Do you have metallic tint on your back glass? While I didn't experience any discernable difference on my coupe, I'm told metallic tint can degrade your radio's reception.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

...but my vette's reception isn't very clear (a fair amount of static). I live in northern VA where I should get great reception. Anyone else notice this? Could I have a loose antenna connection, or is this symptomatic of the vette's in-glass antenna?
Steve, I live in Kingstowne (South Alexandria) about 15 to 20 miles from you. My 04 coupe's radio reception was fine all over the National Captial Region. I could listen to DC radio stations from Front Royal, Fredericksburg, Frederick, Baltimore, all over the place. No problem whatsoever.

Might be a poor antennea connection or, maybe, the receivers are stronger in the later model years.

I now have a 2002 vert and the reception is just as good.

HTH.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 AM
onedog 00
Burning Brakes

After I had my windows tinted my reception went downhill and I figure
they did something to the antennea in the rear window, I just haven't found the problem yet.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:35 AM
epicshooter
Instructor

I live in leesburg and drive all over- I hear what you are saying. I do not think it is the antenna- I think it is the actual tuner in the stereo. I have purchased a new one and hope to have it installed this week.
From previous experience I can tell you that the power of a tuner in a stereo to actually "bring in" the signal makes a difference. Since the stock stereo is lacking in so many other area's I will chalk this problem up to the head unit as well.
Will advise once new system is installed.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:37 AM
SLVette
Intermediate

Odd that some people claim good reception and other not! I have the upgraded stock Bose (although that's not saying much), and I've checked the front and rear windshield connections - they seem to be okay.

XLR8IN - You mention a Y connector behind seat - I can't seem to locate it. Can you be more descriptive on location? I kind of doubt that's the problem cause reception isn't that bad, but it's worth a check.

Epicshooter - Pls keep me posted on the new stereo head.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Radio reception

Old 03-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Fuelie driver
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Had good reception in my FRC untill I changed over to a shorty 9 in antenna!!!Now its weak on distant stations. O well thats what the CD player is for
Old 03-09-2005, 09:55 AM
sasunlover
Racer

Default Radio Reception

I have a 2000 convertible and it has the external antenna and the reception is awful. I live in San Antonio and it won't even pick up half the local stations. Wish there was a simple fix to this. So, you aren't alone.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:41 PM
SLVette
Intermediate

ttt

Quick Reply: C5 Radio reception