Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch pedal stuck to the floor???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:22 PM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch pedal stuck to the floor???

Can anyone tell me what’s happening? The first time this happened was my first time at the drags – Launched at about 2500 RPM, power-shifted into 2nd and pedal stuck to the floor. Power shift was spongy – Clutch is almost new – Original hydraulics. After a few minutes the pedal came back up, but did it again on each of 3 successive runs. On successive runs the problem was not as bad – But I didn’t power-shift. Managed a 12.9sec/112MPH run with a .16sec RT. It should do much better (383-Stroker running about 420RWP), but for my first outing ever at a drag strip, I figured it’s mostly the loose nut behind the steering wheel slowing things down! The clutch has stuck at the floor a few times since just driving on the street. Seems to happen whenever I push it much beyond 5500 RPM -- NO power-shifting – Just rolling gently rolling on the throttle. But the other morning it also did it as I was backing out of the garage. I’ve been told I need to replace/update the hydraulics. The clutch is almost new and does not slip under load (30MPH in 4th gear uphill and punch it -- it holds), but if I shift hard it does slip going into the next gear. And no, I’m not riding the clutch. The clutch fluid was exceptionally dirty. I sucked most if it out and refilled it – Several times. But the problem persists. Okay, I’ll replace the hydraulics! But can anyone explain what is actually happening mechanically? Restriction in the fluid line explains the pedal on the floor. But why is it triggered by the high RPM? And what’s the best clutch for 500+ HP? THANKS!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:27 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi 1998 GTR -

I had this problem on my Z06 -

The dealership performed a repair under warranty - replacing the throwout bearing and the slave cylinder.

The clutch feels much better now - HOWEVER......

My clutch felt good for the first couple of years, and then I started experiencing the same issue you have described.

I truly feel that I will have this problem again in the future.

I am sure someone who is more educated on the clutch issue can chime in here with the "why" of the problem....

best regards -

mqqn
Old 04-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I think we all would like to know the answer to this one. Bleeding the clutch from the slave cylinder would be the best way to know if it's air in the fluid. My .02 But it's a pain to get in there to do it.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 PM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Default Dealer Fix?

Does anyone know if a dealer will fix this at no charge? The car is 7 years old, but with only 30K miles on it. The car was originally sold by Purifoy Chevrolet in Colorado with all the current mods (Specter Werks GTR Matrix II package - Window sticker of $107K+ in 1998). I'm in Northern California.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 1998 GTR
The car was originally sold by Purifoy Chevrolet in Colorado with all the current mods (Specter Werks GTR Matrix II package - Window sticker of $107K+ in 1998). I'm in Northern California.
$107K????? Holy Schmokes!!!!!

WTH is the Specter Werks GTR Matrix II package???
Old 04-18-2005, 01:25 AM
1998 GTR
Drifting

Default Specter Werks . . .

Specter Werks is like Callaway or Mallett. They take new Corvettes and add a bunch of mods and then they're typically sold at selected dealers. My '98 vert started out as a pace-car model (less the gaudy grapics) with the Z-51 suspension package, and it's now 6" wider in the rear, 3" wider up front, complete body kit all around, it's lowered, Hotchkis anti-sway bars, modified shock travel, HRE wheels, Michellin Pilot's (18" front - and meaty 345/30-19's on the rear), euro tail lights, embroidered seats, and a bunch of cosmetic carbon fiber under the hood. They sent tihe motor out to Katech (11:1 forged pistons, forged crank, billet rods, Z06 heads, cam, headers, etc. 500+ HP and bullet-proof). And litereally a one-off. Last time I talked to Specter last year, they were working on building car #26 (mine is car #5)-- Each car is unique. It's a blast to drive and really turns heads.

Actually, you can go to their website at http://www.spectergtr.com/performance.html and look at what they're doing with the C6, and now they're working on a modified Cadillac model too.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 AM
1998 GTR
Drifting

ttt
Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 AM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is probably caused by an improperly torqued fly wheel. This will cause the clutch fingers to be slightly out of plane. This then causes the slave cylinder to fail and stick. If this is the problem, you will feel a very slight vibration problem in the shifter. It is a known problem and GM does have a tech article out on it. I believe that it was for pre 2001 cars. This was happening on mine and I replaced the clutch and fly wheel with a z06 one and replaced the slave and master cylinder. Problem has not come back in over a year.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Kschwamy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the same problem on our 98. It happened during auto x and the fix was a new slave but went all the way and put in a new Z06 clutch, slave and master cyclinder. For your HP I would suggest a Luk Gold or equivalent which is what I have on my 01 Z.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:07 PM
iceburgh
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by RobertEarl
This is probably caused by an improperly torqued fly wheel. This will cause the clutch fingers to be slightly out of plane. This then causes the slave cylinder to fail and stick. If this is the problem, you will feel a very slight vibration problem in the shifter. It is a known problem and GM does have a tech article out on it. I believe that it was for pre 2001 cars. This was happening on mine and I replaced the clutch and fly wheel with a z06 one and replaced the slave and master cylinder. Problem has not come back in over a year.

As far as your dealer...No way after the car is 3 years old it is your baby they dont care how many miles are on it.
Also with your mods I would say you voided your warrenty the day you or the person that ordered the car from Specter. In most cases like these they pickup the warrenty on drivetrain items.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal stuck to the floor???

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stuck to the floor???