Decals won't stick

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Decals won't stick

Got my interior decals from SS Inserts today just in time for the car show tomorrow, but the steering wheel and air bag decals won't stick! I cleaned the areas with a wet towel and a little dish liquid, rinsed, cleaned with denatured alcohol (per their instructions) but the decals won't stick worth nothing. Is it the vinyl itself (2002)??? Anyone else have this problem? Also the decals for the steeing wheel are kind of hoky the way the red & white ones are made. The door seal decals worked perfectly, they should have made the steeing wheel decal the way they made the door seal decals.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try warming the area with a hair dryer. Also I left the steering wheel decal backing paper on for overnight (as per Ken King) before GENTLY removing it. As for the airbag decals...I'm waiting for warmer weather to apply the 3rd set. Good Luck

Dan
Old 04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
PYRO1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Clean it good, maybe somme 3M glue! Worked for me.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:08 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Get some Type R stickers...
Old 04-23-2005, 09:25 PM
KonaVette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by pcfred
Got my interior decals from SS Inserts today just in time for the car show tomorrow, but the steering wheel and air bag decals won't stick! I cleaned the areas with a wet towel and a little dish liquid, rinsed, cleaned with denatured alcohol (per their instructions) but the decals won't stick worth nothing. Is it the vinyl itself (2002)??? Anyone else have this problem? Also the decals for the steeing wheel are kind of hoky the way the red & white ones are made. The door seal decals worked perfectly, they should have made the steeing wheel decal the way they made the door seal decals.
I had the same problem.........pissed me off so I threw them away and moved on. and I do have warm weather here
Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 PM
sprinter
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is because you or the previous owner used a silicone based protectant (eg. armorall)... this stuff is absorbed into the plastic and leaches out everytime it gets hot in the car. now nothing will ever stick to your interior...period.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:05 PM
uknowme2good
Burning Brakes

look i had the same f*cken problem...what u have to do is like everyone else is saying...clean the ara first...but...he is the key...for the steering wheel sticker peel the one side first .... let the clear side stay on the stick for the steering wheel for like 15 mins...make sure the car is warm.....so now that the sticker has been sitting for a while.... .nice and slow..pull off the clear side of the sticker...ur done..these stickers are really ****ty to begin..so dont worry if it done work out..

air bag....ok...clean the area (letter) with a kew tip...u have to do each letter one at a time...i use a little saop and water so i can play with the letter...move them into position..once they are were u like it..us a paper towel to remove the water from each letter....let dry..move on to the next letter..once all the letter are done use a hair dryer to make sure the water is all gone...let sit for 24 hours...

Old 04-23-2005, 11:56 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by sprinter
This is because you or the previous owner used a silicone based protectant (eg. armorall)... this stuff is absorbed into the plastic and leaches out everytime it gets hot in the car. now nothing will ever stick to your interior...period.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:57 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default Interior Letters!

Make sure you have no armorall on the interior.........Use a Hair Dryer
Old 04-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Zuti
Drifting

Location: Life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Clean it really well w/ alcohol, (rubbing alcohol and a que-tip work fine for the indented areas). Make sure that you have the backing off, it's kind of tricky and easy to rear the decal. Then just hit it hard with the hair drier. It'll get really tacky and start to mould to the shape of the emblem indentation. Make sure you have it where you want it because it's difficult to move once it gets warm and tacky. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Zuti
Old 04-25-2005, 08:33 AM
maxfli's5
Racer

wax and grease remover ftrom the parts house
Old 04-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Postergeist
Le Mans Master

I cleaned the areas with denatured alcohol and mineral spirits. The rubbing alcohol left a film and the letter pieces slid/fell off. I had to order a second set, even, to replace pieces that had fallen off or refused to stick. Royal pain, but they look good.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
Try warming the area with a hair dryer. Also I left the steering wheel decal backing paper on for overnight (as per Ken King) before GENTLY removing it. As for the airbag decals...I'm waiting for warmer weather to apply the 3rd set. Good Luck

Dan
Old 04-25-2005, 09:11 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Originally Posted by uknowme2good
...for the steering wheel sticker peel the one side first .... let the clear side stay on the stick for the steering wheel for like 15 mins...make sure the car is warm.....so now that the sticker has been sitting for a while.... .nice and slow..pull off the clear side of the sticker...ur done..
I sat and held it in place for what seemed like forever. Every time I checked to see if it would stay in place while I pulled the clear side up, the decal would start coming off, so I held it in place for 10-15 min and it finally took hold. I won't bother with it on my current Vette.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 AM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Zuti
Clean it really well w/ alcohol, (rubbing alcohol and a que-tip work fine for the indented areas). Make sure that you have the backing off, it's kind of tricky and easy to rear the decal. Then just hit it hard with the hair drier. It'll get really tacky and start to mould to the shape of the emblem indentation. Make sure you have it where you want it because it's difficult to move once it gets warm and tacky. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Zuti

Did that and have not had a problem with them in a year.......
always get compliments on them (bought them on ebay, but don't remember who was the seller. Good decals though!)

Get notified of new replies

To Decals won't stick

Quick Reply: Decals won't stick