Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette in Handicapped Parking Space...Dilemma...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default Vette in Handicapped Parking Space...Dilemma...

Took mom to the store Friday and parked in a handicap space as usual for her. She had left her hanging tag in another car but I parked there anyway so she wouldn't have so far to walk.

While in the store, a young guy came over and was looking at Red Racer with great enthusiam, asking all sorts of questions. The roof was off and it had been freshly detailed. Apparently he loved it and said many times how he wishes he had one. I popped the hood when he mentioned that he'd never seen a Corvette engine. He liked what he saw. We talked cars for several minutes.

While this was going on, another guy, mid-20's, walking in back of my car headed for his car 2 spaces away, mumbled something. I asked him what he said, and he mentioned something about a Corvette in a handicap parking space, not fair, etc.

It's not as if I took the space from him; he was already parked when I pulled in. But I still went over to explain about my almost 86 year old mother needing to be close to the entrance and how she'd left her tag in another car, etc. I'm not sure he believed me, but end result was that I felt bad after he showed me his handicap tag and told me he'd been injured in some conflict overseas. As he was getting into his car, I told him I was sorry for his injuries and have a good day.

He was driving a late model Mustang GT and I'm not sure if that had anything to do with his original statement.

Wonder if he'd have said anything had I been in my beater Explorer.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not saying you were wrong for parking in the spot, but I would have dropped Mom off at the front door, found a regular parking spot, and then picked her up when she came out. I know if I had seen any car in your situation I would have felt it was wrong, but I wouldn't know the circumstances.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:14 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I probably would have handled it a little differently and dropped her off at the HC space then pulled out and parked in a regular spot and come back for her. Here in Cali it's a big ticket if you're caught w/o a HC tag.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Red-

You're a lot more forgiving than I would've been. First off, I think it's awesome you took your mom. I wish mine was still around to see the Vette. She'd have loved it, I think.

Secondly, when someone with a "mumbling" attitude walks up/by I don't even bother. I think it's cool that you were so willing to even explain as much as you to this guy.

Veterans get a lot of respect from me. I used to cut them breaks as much as possible when I was pushing a black and white, but if you read my quote on my sig ... it explains how I think. Still, I thought it was cool you tried. Too bad the guy was just bitter. Have a great one and don't let one weinie ruin you weekend!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:18 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
I'm not saying you were wrong for parking in the spot, but I would have dropped Mom off at the front door, found a regular parking spot, and then picked her up when she came out. I know if I had seen any car in your situation I would have felt it was wrong, but I wouldn't know the circumstances.
Yea I gotta agree with Blue Lion. The vette draws attention and I think people just naturally presume that there's another one of those "arrogant" vette owners. You gotta do the right thing for Mom, but dropping her off would have been the better move. Also, think about another person coming in who was handicapped and needed the space.......dropping and picking up in this situation would have been the better way to go. Not lecturing just MHO.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:21 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Yea I gotta agree with Blue Lion. The vette draws attention and I think people just naturally presume that there's another one of those "arrogant" vette owners. You gotta do the right thing for Mom, but dropping her off would have been the better move. Also, think about another person coming in who was handicapped and needed the space.......dropping and picking up in this situation would have been the better way to go. Not lecturing just MHO.

have to agree....since you didnt have the tag and didnt go in with her..when I take my MIL anywhere she has a hanging tag and I dont use it usually..I drop her off go park and pick her up when we leave.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:22 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

My mom is 83 and I took her shopping a couple weeks ago. I drop her off at the door of the store and then go park. (She loves the Corvette and has no trouble getting in or out, but does have trouble with walking long distances). I think that is what I would have done in your case. My father-in-law has prosthetics on both legs, so I am sensitive to folks parking in disabled spots. Lots of folks hate us anyway, just because we drive Corvettes, so I try not to antagonize those people.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:29 AM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Stupidity is not a handicap. Should not have parked there. Reguardless
Old 05-14-2005, 11:30 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004

I gotta just say, when people go to Disneyland and such ... the person pushing the one in the wheelchair gets on the ride at the same time (gets the same "front of the line treatment") as the one in the wheelchair. They don't drop off the person off at the ride and go stand in line with everyone else.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 AM
TOPGUN9
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnsC5
I probably would have handled it a little differently and dropped her off at the HC space then pulled out and parked in a regular spot and come back for her. Here in Cali it's a big ticket if you're caught w/o a HC tag.
Without a handicapped tag, you don't want to be caught in a handicapped spot, regardless of the reason.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:34 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bizaro
Jeez...cut him just a little slack.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:36 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I removed my previous post because I misread the original. 'Round here:
Parking in a HC spot w/o a tag = $333.00
Even saw a fight when the "real" HC driver blocked someone w/o a tag in 'til the Police go there.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:51 AM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Yes, it would have been better for Red Racer to drop her off near the front door, then go park elsewhere. Nevertheless, it seems to have been an innocent mistake and the other gentleman with the disability should not have mumbled anything out loud w/o knowing all the facts. Plus, I'd bet he may have had a little resentment towards Vettes, too.

Last edited by Grumpy; 05-14-2005 at 12:08 PM. Reason: inappropriate
Old 05-14-2005, 11:56 AM
exukboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
I removed my previous post because I misread the original. 'Round here:
Parking in a HC spot w/o a tag = $333.00
Even saw a fight when the "real" HC driver blocked someone w/o a tag in 'til the Police go there.
Yeah saw the same thing done where I work. H/capped person sat in his wheel chair behind this guys car so he could'nt reverse out and called the police on his cell phone. There where plenty of other spots to park...but the law is the law I suppose!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I understand the resentment of the guys with legitimate H/C's but then there are the ones that shouldn't have the permits. Once I witnessed an off road vehicle with a handicap sticker and they had to literally climb down from the cab. If they can do that they don't need a sticker.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:14 PM
2ndVette
Drifting

at least in Ca the law is that you either must have the tag or the plate AND you must be the owner of the vehicle to sport either. You may not transfer tags/plates to another vehicle to suit your convenience. Further, if you are the legitimate holder of said tag and or plate, if you are not the specific person with the disability, but rather the caregiver, you MUST have that disabled person with you. This last violation is a misdemeanor and carries a greater than $1100 fine. That last criteria is the most frequent misuse of the tag and generates the most complaints.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:15 PM
TripleBlackxThree
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro

Who are you calling stupid? BTW, your spelling needs editing.

At least he didn't say "irreguardless". Wow, what a nice addition to the thread...

Get notified of new replies

To Vette in Handicapped Parking Space...Dilemma...

Old 05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a young D.A.V. was too proud to park in a handicap spot that someone in a wheelchair might actually need.. good for him

Next time you'll know better: drop mom off, and then wait out of the way until she comes out so you could pick her up at curbside

Thank God for our Vets. The sad part is, getting hurt overseas, and then coming home, he probably can't even afford a vette
Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

I agree...should have dropped her off and parked elsewhere.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

probaly should have dropped and parked... keep the persoanl attacks on your keyboard..

Quick Reply: Vette in Handicapped Parking Space...Dilemma...