Sponsored by:

VCT Tile and Cold Weather - Your Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:47 PM
1993 Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VCT Tile and Cold Weather - Your Experiences

I thought that I would post this in C5 General since you all have some really good threads going about VCT Tile.

I have been working on my garage for about a year now drywalling, painting, installing electrical outlets and lighting. Now my focus is the floor. I bought 2 of the BLT rubber garage mats but I really like the idea of the VCT tile. I think I am sold on the VCT but I fear that the tiles may start cracking in the cold weather during the winters here in Maryland. My garage is not heated. It doesn't get below freezing in my garage but still, it gets pretty cold out there.

For those of you have gone through a winter with the VCT tile, have you had any problems with cracking tiles?

Do the tiles get very brittle in the cold weather?

Did you use the regular adhesive or did you go with the epoxy based adhesive?

Also, do you see a problem with using the BLT garage mats that I bought on top of a VCT tile floor or do you think that the mats would discolor or stick to the tiles?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 PM
1993 Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1993 Vette
I thought that I would post this in C5 General since you all have some really good threads going about VCT Tile.

I have been working on my garage for about a year now drywalling, painting, installing electrical outlets and lighting. Now my focus is the floor. I bought 2 of the BLT rubber garage mats but I really like the idea of the VCT tile. I think I am sold on the VCT but I fear that the tiles may start cracking in the cold weather during the winters here in Maryland. My garage is not heated. It doesn't get below freezing in my garage but still, it gets pretty cold out there.

For those of you have gone through a winter with the VCT tile, have you had any problems with cracking tiles?

Do the tiles get very brittle in the cold weather?

Did you use the regular adhesive or did you go with the epoxy based adhesive?

Also, do you see a problem with using the BLT garage mats that I bought on top of a VCT tile floor or do you think that the mats would discolor or stick to the tiles?

Thanks for your help.
Anyone have any experiences they would like to share? I would like to get started on this project as soon as possible if you all recommend it.

Thank you
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great floor, no problems but I'm in San Diego. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2005, 09:39 PM
batmann
Drifting

Check out this link. It has all kinds of opinions on all kinds of flooring...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=995841
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 PM
1993 Vette
Intermediate

Thank you. I had actually already read that thread. A lot of good information there but not a lot of discussion about how cold weather does or doesn’t affect VCT tiles. I just worry that temperatures in the 30’s and 40’s during the winter will make the tiles so brittle that they start cracking.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 PM
loosegroove
1st Gear

I am in the same boat as you since I live in Chicago. I am still looking for more answers but I found two good examples at www.autopia.org. There is a guy named peter in Denver and another guy from the northeast that have had there tile down for over a year. Pete from Denver even has pictures of the tile after a snow storm.

Here is the link.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ghlight=azrock

I would love to here about more examples
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 AM
1993 Vette
Intermediate

That link has a lot of good information. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Mr.Z-06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I did garagedeck (race deck)

I decided to do the overstock garagedeck (racedeck). Works out to be about $2.50 foot shipped (using online coupons). I figure it's movable (easily unclicked) so if I move I still have my floor to take with me.

Still quite an investment at about $1,000 for my garage, but I feel the time/effort/energy put into vct wasn't worth it. By the way, my floor was not completely flat, as it is 2.5 car garage with slight dips. I was worried vct might look cobbed together with such a floor.

Good luck, and hey, even a disgusting garage looks AWESOME with a Vette in it!

-Mr.Z-06
Old 05-21-2005, 11:17 PM
1993 Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr.Z-06
I decided to do the overstock garagedeck (racedeck). Works out to be about $2.50 foot shipped (using online coupons). I figure it's movable (easily unclicked) so if I move I still have my floor to take with me.

Still quite an investment at about $1,000 for my garage, but I feel the time/effort/energy put into vct wasn't worth it. By the way, my floor was not completely flat, as it is 2.5 car garage with slight dips. I was worried vct might look cobbed together with such a floor.

Good luck, and hey, even a disgusting garage looks AWESOME with a Vette in it!

-Mr.Z-06
Thanks for the info. You're statement about a garage looking awesome with a Vette in it is right on. I couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To VCT Tile and Cold Weather - Your Experiences

Quick Reply: VCT Tile and Cold Weather - Your Experiences