Sponsored by:

2001 C5 with 65,000 miles: brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Glassbergs
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 C5 with 65,000 miles: brake question

My 2001 C5, which I bought new, has 65,000 miles on it. I have never done any brake work, never heard a squeak or screech, and the brakes work fine. I would appreciate advice:

1. Am I being stupid not to have the brakes checked, relined, or whatever, even though I see no signs of problems?

2. If I should have brakework done, should I go to a dealer, or to a brake shop, Midas type place?

3. any idea how much i am going to spend, or what specifically I might need (so I sound like I know what I am talking about and don't get ripped off)?

thank you.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:46 PM
SGT. PYLE
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO if it's not broke, dont fix it. If it still stops like it's suppose to and you are comfortable with it, I would not worry about it. As far as haveing your brakes looked at, Midas is the last place I would go but I would never take my ZO6 in to have the brakes done. Dealer is probably the safest, the guys at Midas will just want to drive your car arround and hot dog it! It is a very easy job to do if you have a few hours to kill. I am sure there is a DIY thread you can find if you do a search.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:40 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

With no indication of what your mechanical ability is, I'd say take it to the dealer or ask local friends and coworkers for recommendations. If you have even minimal ability you can do it yourself. Maybe a friend that has the abilitly and learn from them.

I did mine recently with 40k on them. I only did them because they were getting low and I was headed out on a 5K mile trip. I've done brake jobs before but it's been 25yrs. Real is a piece of cake.

Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Autoworker
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through Rockauto.com and ordered Raybestos Brutestop rotors and ceramic pads. This is your best bang for your buck. Ceramic pads cut down on brake dust quite a bit , and the slotted and drilled rotors look good through the wheels. Pushing 65,000 miles I'd go ahead and change them.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 C5 with 65,000 miles: brake question

Quick Reply: 2001 C5 with 65,000 miles: brake question