Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rhino ramps, my $.02

Old 06-30-2005, 01:17 AM
skelly1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rhino ramps, my $.02

I bought a set of rhino's tonight to do my first oil change on the vette. I was unable to drive up onto the ramps, even with the little rubber deals that are supposed to keep them from skidding on the concrete. I then drove up onto some 2x8's, then put the ramps in front of them and still the car just pushed the ramps on my concrete garage floor. I then added a couple of full 5 gallon water bottles to the ends of the ramps to keep them from skidding, to no avail. I gave up with the ramps, drove up on the 2x8's, then jacked up the front with the floorjack, put in some small jackstands and changed the oil. I even jacked up the rear of the car to get the remainder of the oil out. I filled up the mobil 1 filter with mobil 1, screwed it on, and then filled the crankcase with 6.5 qts total of 5W-30 mobil 1. Done with zero help from the rhino ramps. They go back to Autozone tomorrow, unless somebody can tell me there is a real reason to keep these things.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Litre
Melting Slicks

My brother-in-law and I have had nothing but good luck with his set of Rhinos. Drive the car part way into the garage, shove the ramps up against the tires, and drive up. We don't use any 2X4s or anything. Might possibly be the surface that the ramps are on, in your case. Is it overly slick by any chance? We've never had any of the issues that you're describing.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 AM
skelly1
Instructor

It's just regular old flat concrete. Must be smoother concrete than yours.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:43 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skelly1
I bought a set of rhino's tonight to do my first oil change on the vette. I was unable to drive up onto the ramps, even with the little rubber deals that are supposed to keep them from skidding on the concrete. I then drove up onto some 2x8's, then put the ramps in front of them and still the car just pushed the ramps on my concrete garage floor. I then added a couple of full 5 gallon water bottles to the ends of the ramps to keep them from skidding, to no avail. I gave up with the ramps, drove up on the 2x8's, then jacked up the front with the floorjack, put in some small jackstands and changed the oil. I even jacked up the rear of the car to get the remainder of the oil out. I filled up the mobil 1 filter with mobil 1, screwed it on, and then filled the crankcase with 6.5 qts total of 5W-30 mobil 1. Done with zero help from the rhino ramps. They go back to Autozone tomorrow, unless somebody can tell me there is a real reason to keep these things.
I had the same problem. What I did was set the ramps on a couple of rubber door mats the kind about 3/8" thick made out of dense foam rubber. Set the ramps on them so that the the mats stick out enough from under the ramp so the tires roll on to the mat a little before contacting the ramp. Keeps them from sliding away from the tire. Haven't had a problem since.

Last edited by VLVETTE; 06-30-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:52 AM
skelly1
Instructor

Good idea, I'll try that next time. On a side note, the message center says "oil life 41%" when I scroll through it. How does one reset that? Also, I was getting a front tire low pressure message. The fronts were about 25 psi. I filled them to 28 tonight, but just curious why the message center would say that at 25. Is there an ideal pressure? What if it's race day and you lower the pressure? Is there a way to ignore the low pressure message? Same with the "reserve fuel" message?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Deduncan
My brother-in-law and I have had nothing but good luck with his set of Rhinos. Drive the car part way into the garage, shove the ramps up against the tires, and drive up. We don't use any 2X4s or anything. Might possibly be the surface that the ramps are on, in your case. Is it overly slick by any chance? We've never had any of the issues that you're describing.

Same here, no problems on a concrete floor.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Good idea, I'll try that next time. On a side note, the message center says "oil life 41%" when I scroll through it. How does one reset that? Also, I was getting a front tire low pressure message. The fronts were about 25 psi. I filled them to 28 tonight, but just curious why the message center would say that at 25. Is there an ideal pressure? What if it's race day and you lower the pressure? Is there a way to ignore the low pressure message? Same with the "reserve fuel" message?
Turn the key on do not start car scroll to oil life % on DIC pump gas peddle 4 times all the way to the floor it will reset it to 100%. To get rid of reserve fuel or low tire message push and hold reset button
Old 06-30-2005, 02:17 AM
FallenWhun
Racer

I can't drive up on rhinos either so instead I drive up on 2 x 6s, jack up the car and apply the rhino ramps. even with a 17 degree incline my vette cant drive up on to them, so I figured I would use them as stands.

The ramps on the ecklers website for the corvette look like they would do the job, but I'm not ready to dish out the $180 for it. Corvette tax...
Old 06-30-2005, 02:22 AM
skelly1
Instructor

Thanks! Is this something I would know if I read the manual?

Here's another off the wall question. My 01 Yukon XL had "Autoride" shocks when I bought it new. I recently installed a set of bilsteins without the autoride connectors because the autoride is useless anyways. The message center says to service ride control or something. What do I have to do to get rid of that message?
Old 06-30-2005, 02:23 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

No problems here either with them. I have the Gray ones.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:25 AM
Speed Trap
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just laid out an old bath towell under the ramp with it extending a few inches so that the tire is on the towell before it starts up the ramp. This keeps the ramps from sliding. a piece of carpet would work too. I also place a 2x6 in front of the ramp so that the plastic chin spoiler doesn't have to bend out of the way as the car starts up the ramp.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:28 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Thanks! Is this something I would know if I read the manual?

Here's another off the wall question. My 01 Yukon XL had "Autoride" shocks when I bought it new. I recently installed a set of bilsteins without the autoride connectors because the autoride is useless anyways. The message center says to service ride control or something. What do I have to do to get rid of that message?
I would imagine getting it edited out. I know with the Vette stuff like that can be done with a program like LS1 don't know about the Yukon
Old 06-30-2005, 02:31 AM
skelly1
Instructor

[QUOTE=FallenWhun]I can't drive up on rhinos either so instead I drive up on 2 x 6s, jack up the car and apply the rhino ramps. even with a 17 degree incline my vette cant drive up on to them, so I figured I would use them as stands.

Must be a san diego thang!

Who's the girl in your signature?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't have this problem but the best post I have seen on this issue is to drill a small hole at the front of the ramp and then tie a rope through the hole and make it long enough to catch under the tires. THe weight of the car tires on the rope keeps the ramps from sliding.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:55 AM
drmgoat
Instructor

Get a short piece of rope and attach it to each ramp. Lay the rope out in front of the ramp so your tires run over the rope as you drive on the ramp. This will hold the ramp still while you drive up on it.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,216 Likes on 13,927 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The low tire pressure warning is set to appear when the tire pressure gets to 25 psi or lower. Its just doing its job as intended. Some people put an old piece of carpet under the ramps to help keep them in place. Just a thought.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 AM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Knowme
No problems here either with them. I have the Gray ones.
I think they make several styles of Rino ramps. Hope you got the right ones for the vette.

Get notified of new replies

To rhino ramps, my $.02

Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM
mike348
Burning Brakes

I place the ramps on rubber floor mats to keep them from sliding.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:34 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same issue after numerous attempts.... Took them back to WalMart. I have A&A rail savers -- now I just jack from the rails, one side at a time -- works great and no need to mess with 2x4s... Got a set of real nice heavy-duty chrome jack stands from PB. Does the trick, and takes less than a minute!!

Last edited by JohnTheStigGalt; 06-30-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
MHVette
Burning Brakes

I too have had them slide on me on the slick concrete garage floor. The concrete right outside the garage isn't as slick as inside so I just put the ramps there and let the nose of the car hang out a few feet. I'll have to try the rubber mat the next time I need to keep the vette completely in the garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rhino ramps, my $.02