Sponsored by:

Ramp or lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Ramp or lift

I am trying to decide if I should get a ramp or lift for the vette. I found a two post lift for $1649. I suppose it is made in China. The ramp is about $1200. I would use it to change oil and light work on my vehicles. My kid is a mechanic so he wants me to get a lift. Any suggestions? What do you all have? Recommendations.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

http://www.kwiklift.com

semi-portable, and can be moved easily.

IF I had the room for it, I would buy one in a heartbeat. It will lift it 20" up, which is more than enough to do most light work.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:52 AM
MikeTennent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4 Post Is The Way To Go...

I have a four post and love it. I have the optional wheels which you won't be getting with a two post. You will be amazed with how many new friends crawl out of the woods when people find out you have a lift. I don't mind as long as they bring their own beer for when the work is done and we stop and admire.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:54 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd buy the lift if I had the clearance!
Old 09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
bigsal01
Pro

i would go with the lift if you got the room
Old 09-10-2005, 10:50 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Target Chaser and StuzVette have the Kwiklifts ... they are awesome (those guys are okay too). I'm sure they'll chime in soon.

If you have the room ... regular lift, but I've heard nothing but good reviews about the Kwiks.

Dave
Old 09-10-2005, 10:52 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by bigsal01
i would go with the lift if you got the room

Old 09-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Target Chaser
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Machine Silver Z06 The Golden State......... Bay Area
St. Jude Donor '05

Kwiks is the shiznit if you don't have the room for a larger lift. You can break it down, or move it around with the casters.

If I ever move (which I may soon) this is my next lift.

Bend-Pak SP-7X

Last edited by Target Chaser; 09-10-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:27 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI RK,

Say, I have to agree with our fellow members who have chimed in above: If you have the room, go with the four post lift. Some (Back Yard Buddy, etc.) manufacturers even offer extra special extensions that allow you to store another vehicle on top.

However, if you do not have the spare height in your garage: Get the kwiklift. Like my good buddy, Dave (Myvettedream) has stated above, the "Kwiks" are fantastic and ambulatory. Also, the "Kwiks" allow you the freedom to do a lot of mechanical work other than just mere maintenance (header installs, DTE Brace, etc.). Let us know how it all turns out.

Best Wishes,
Eden
Old 09-10-2005, 04:06 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by edensknight
HI RK,

Say, I have to agree with our fellow members who have chimed in above: If you have the room, go with the four post lift. Some (Back Yard Buddy, etc.) manufacturers even offer extra special extensions that allow you to store another vehicle on top.

However, if you do not have the spare height in your garage: Get the kwiklift. Like my good buddy, Dave (Myvettedream) has stated above, the "Kwiks" are fantastic and ambulatory. Also, the "Kwiks" allow you the freedom to do a lot of mechanical work other than just mere maintenance (header installs, DTE Brace, etc.). Let us know how it all turns out.

Best Wishes,
Eden
This is the one I am considering. Anyone have this product?

AMERICAN AUTOMOTIVE EQUIPMENT
2 POST 9000 LB LIFT $1649!!
AmericanProducts twin post lift series is the most technologically advanced on the market. These lifts utilize a unique arm configuration, that allow them to function as either a symmetric or an asymmetric lift! The TP9A is designed to meet your low ceiling applications. The TP09A is clear floor for unobstructed floor space. Both of these units come with free truck adapters and installation hardware.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR FULL LINEUP OF TWO POST LIFTS!
Greetings!
We at American Automotive Equipment are happy to announce a wide selection of our Twin post lifts are on sale. Until September 9 (EXTENDED TO MONDAY SEPTEMBER 12, 2005), you can purchase any of these lifts at incredible prices.

As an added bonus, TRUCK ADAPTERS are included at no additional cost!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 POST 11,000 LB LIFT $1899!!

AmericanProducts makes the safest, strongest lifts on the market and their 11,000 lb twin post lift is no exception. From the oversized arms and columns, to the lifting chain and cylinders, these lifts will give you incredible hoisting power! The TP011A will handle your standard vehicles all the way up to some medium duty trucks. And of course, truck adapters and mounting hardware is free!
CLICK HERE FOR OUR FULL LINEUP OF TWO POST LIFTS!
Old 09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
LS7
Racer

I Love my Rotary 4 Post! BTW, the ramps are removable.

Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 PM
98Pacecar
Pro

Go with the lift if you can accomodate it. Gives you lots more options than the ramp. The four post comes with wheels so you can move it if you need to.

Old 09-10-2005, 11:33 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 98Pacecar
Go with the lift if you can accomodate it. Gives you lots more options than the ramp. The four post comes with wheels so you can move it if you need to.

Are all of those yours? Impressive. You must have two jobs, one for living and one for insurance.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:56 PM
98Pacecar
Pro

Actually, the red Cooper is my daughter's, but I pay for it. When she's off to college then the Avalanche parks in that spot.

I don't have two jobs, but the wife does
Old 09-11-2005, 12:08 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
I am trying to decide if I should get a ramp or lift for the vette. I found a two post lift for $1649....
I've had a lift for over three years and frankly don't know what I did without it. I think everyone has listed the benefits of a lift already, but I do think one of the biggest is the additional garage space you get with a lift. I think it's probably one of the cheapest ways to turn a 2-car garage into a 3-car garage there is... assuming you have the ceiling for it. I have a 12 foot ceiling, but I believe you can get by with a 10 foot with a car like the Corvette.

The 2-post lifts are nice and have some benefits a 4-post doesn't. But just remember the 2-post must be anchored to the floor. That means you have to have a floor that it can be safely anchored to. The 4-post on the other hand doesn't require anchoring under most circumstances... just a few thoughts on the subject...

GUSTO
Old 09-11-2005, 12:29 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
I've had a lift for over three years and frankly don't know what I did without it. I think everyone has listed the benefits of a lift already, but I do think one of the biggest is the additional garage space you get with a lift. I think it's probably one of the cheapest ways to turn a 2-car garage into a 3-car garage there is... assuming you have the ceiling for it. I have a 12 foot ceiling, but I believe you can get by with a 10 foot with a car like the Corvette.

The 2-post lifts are nice and have some benefits a 4-post doesn't. But just remember the 2-post must be anchored to the floor. That means you have to have a floor that it can be safely anchored to. The 4-post on the other hand doesn't require anchoring under most circumstances... just a few thoughts on the subject...

GUSTO
Thanks for your in put. I have considered the fact that the two post lift needs to be anchored to the floor. I have four garage stalls, two attached to the house and two on my out building. All are heated with cement floors. I am leaning toward the two post lift because you can do wheel changes easier. I will do mostly routine oil changes, etc. Sometimes my son wanders over to do work on his truck. He is actually a real mechanic. He also does some work for me. I thought the two post lift would add to the re-sale of my property if I should happen to move. Any man who sees my garage set up would buy it in a heart beat just for the garage space. I have it set up pretty nice.

Again thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:43 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Was at another Forum members house the other day and he had just installed a 2 post lift! It was pretty cool!

Get notified of new replies

To Ramp or lift

Old 09-11-2005, 12:32 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi rkhegler -

I chose a two-post service lift for my garage.

The main issue I had with a ramp-type lifts is that when the car is on it, you still have to jack up the car to get a wheel off of it.

I do quite a bit of brake and other work on the whole families cars, and it just does not make sense to me to have a lift that will get the car up in the air, but then require you to jack the car up further to work on any of the brakes or wheels. It is also much easier to use the two-post lift for cleaning - again, because you can rotate the wheels....

A four post lift is, by definition, considered a storage lift. You can change your oil on any of the lifts. It you intend to work on a lot of cars, you really should consider a service lift (two post). If , on the other hand, you will primarily be an oil-change and "wipe her down" kinda guy, then a kwicklift or four post storage lift might be the ticket for you. If you need to keep a car up on the lift to allow another car in the gareage, then a four post lift IS your choice.

I bought my two post 8000lb lift from Autolifters - made in Kansas (I think that's still part of the USA... ) It was under $1900 complete.

The two post lift must be anchored to the floor. Even though I have a relatively large garage, I still did not see a huge advantage in being able to move the lift around - as it would only be able to move a few feet any one direction just due to the physiscs of the garage - and I assume most of us are in that same boat. In other words, the lift is going to stay put whatever type it is, so the fact that mine is fixed to the floor does not matter at all.

My lift could be removed and taken with me when I move, btw - it is not difficult to set up or tear down.

Here is a link to pictures of my lift in action -

http://www.iammoon.com/garage2.html

you can see some more by going to my cardomain website -

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/595972/2

It seems as though autolifters has gone out of business....

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/s...16/story3.html

best regards -

mqqn

Last edited by mqqn; 09-11-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:11 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mqqn
Hi rkhegler -

I chose a two-post service lift for my garage.

The main issue I had with a ramp-type lifts is that when the car is on it, you still have to jack up the car to get a wheel off of it.

I do quite a bit of brake and other work on the whole families cars, and it just does not make sense to me to have a lift that will get the car up in the air, but then require you to jack the car up further to work on any of the brakes or wheels. It is also much easier to use the two-post lift for cleaning - again, because you can rotate the wheels....

A four post lift is, by definition, considered a storage lift. You can change your oil on any of the lifts. It you intend to work on a lot of cars, you really should consider a service lift (two post). If , on the other hand, you will primarily be an oil-change and "wipe her down" kinda guy, then a kwicklift or four post storage lift might be the ticket for you. If you need to keep a car up on the lift to allow another car in the gareage, then a four post lift IS your choice.

I bought my two post 8000lb lift from Autolifters - made in Kansas (I think that's still part of the USA... ) It was under $1900 complete.

The two post lift must be anchored to the floor. Even though I have a relatively large garage, I still did not see a huge advantage in being able to move the lift around - as it would only be able to move a few feet any one direction just due to the physiscs of the garage - and I assume most of us are in that same boat. In other words, the lift is going to stay put whatever type it is, so the fact that mine is fixed to the floor does not matter at all.

My lift could be removed and taken with me when I move, btw - it is not difficult to set up or tear down.

Here is a link to pictures of my lift in action -

http://www.iammoon.com/garage2.html

you can see some more by going to my cardomain website -

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/595972/2

It seems as though autolifters has gone out of business....

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/s...16/story3.html

best regards -

mqqn
For the very reasons you mentioned, I am focusing in on the two post lifts. I will try to make a decision on Monday. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:57 PM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get the lift...

Quick Reply: Ramp or lift