Sponsored by:

Results of Hot Trax paint on painted floor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 AM
TomT
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Results of Hot Trax paint on painted floor

I wanted to upgrade the look of the garage floor from the gray paint that was on it since new in '99. There were very few oil/grease spots to clean up when I started, but overall it was in excellent shape. No lifting, etc. I looked at a few different products before choosing this one. The ads say that it can be applied to previously painted floors, so I said OK.
I cleaned the floor with a degreaser in the oil/grease residue areas and washed the entire floor twice with a cleaner/degreaser and once with muriatic solution. I applied 4 coats to the surface, allowing 24 hours per coat per the instructions. I used 4 coats because the old paint didn't allow use of a normal medium coat. I allowed 4-5 days to cure before putting anything on it. The instuctions say 2. And since I have an oversize 4 car garage, I did 2 bays at a time.
I got the tintable base and had it mixed in the lightest color available. Can't remember the name of it. It went on easily and looked great. This was the middle of August. After drying, I started using it as a normal garage. Here is what I have learned in the month and a half so far:
1) The paint is starting to lift in 2-3 inch square pieces under the tires. Only 3 so far.
2) The light color brightens the garage up, even in semi darkness. I love the color.
3) The light color shows dirt that I never could even conceive of. Most dirt comes up easily with a cleaner.
4) Some tire tracks don't come up. I can figure no reason why some do and some don't.
5) If anything is slid accross the floor, it takes the new paint right off. You have to lift and place.

In summary, I love the brightness of the light color, but I don't like the tire marks, scrap marks, paint lifting, and constant cleaning. While the constant cleanings are my fault for the color choice, the others are inherent in the product. So, if you have a previously painted garage floor, I WOULD NOT RECOMMMEND this for your garage. It doesn't attach to previously painted floors, as is advertised.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,295 Likes on 13,968 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. With all those issues, I don't think I could recommend it either.

Quick Reply: Results of Hot Trax paint on painted floor