Sponsored by:

More Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:10 AM
yellowvert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Tire Questions

I'll make it quick. I've got a basically stock `03 convertible. The OEM tires (Goodyear EMTs) are shot at 20K. That wear is just borderline acceptible to me. What I can't tolerate much longer is the NOISE. Its so loud I feel like I'm driving a truck with mud and snow tires. Questions:

1) Do I have the option of changing the tire size while staying on the stock rims and is there any good reason to do this?

2) Other than the obvious risk, how many people go to no run flats? Do you then carry a can or "fix-a-flat" in case of a flat tire? Does using "fix-a-flat" destroy the tire pressure sensor?

3) Product recommendations? This car is a daily driver lease car with 2 more years to go. I almost never do any racing (on a track only, of course). I'm looking for the best value, leaning toward cheap.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:57 AM
ZilverZ06
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowvert
I'll make it quick. I've got a basically stock `03 convertible. The OEM tires (Goodyear EMTs) are shot at 20K. That wear is just borderline acceptible to me. What I can't tolerate much longer is the NOISE. Its so loud I feel like I'm driving a truck with mud and snow tires. Questions:

1) Do I have the option of changing the tire size while staying on the stock rims and is there any good reason to do this?

2) Other than the obvious risk, how many people go to no run flats? Do you then carry a can or "fix-a-flat" in case of a flat tire? Does using "fix-a-flat" destroy the tire pressure sensor?

3) Product recommendations? This car is a daily driver lease car with 2 more years to go. I almost never do any racing (on a track only, of course). I'm looking for the best value, leaning toward cheap.

Thanks!
Your miles will vary depending on your driving. I've read all kinds of different numbers here on the run flats. I went with a non run flat tire and now going to purhcase a tire repair kit along with a small air comp. If your looking for a good chaep non run flat tire, look into the Kumho MX's. A friend of mine just put a set on and he likes them. He got the set installed for $790. You should also check Tire Rack's web site for ratings. They're a forum vendor too
Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Get Firestone Firehawk runflats as replacements. You will love them.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Default Tire Rack

Follow this link. Answer the questions and it will give you some information on tires might be best for you. You can go back and change answers to get different results. Good luck.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dg/Sel...akeAndYear.jsp
Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I made the switch to non-runflats - went with Goodyear F1 Supercars. Made a big difference in the way the car handles and rides, plus the noise was gone. I just carry a plug kit, small compressor and a cell phone just in case. For tires, try Kuhmos, Firestone Wide Ovals, etc. They are inexpensive as far as Vette tires go.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Tino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
I made the switch to non-runflats - went with Goodyear F1 Supercars. Made a big difference in the way the car handles and rides, plus the noise was gone. I just carry a plug kit, small compressor and a cell phone just in case. For tires, try Kuhmos, Firestone Wide Ovals, etc. They are inexpensive as far as Vette tires go.
I'm going to do the same thing, just waiting for my hockey puck run craps to wear out ...
Old 11-07-2005, 01:45 PM
yellowvert
Pro

ttt - would like more input

Thanks all!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:01 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Scott,

Greetings to you. And, I am in total agreement with you in, regards to how very NOISY the old blocky tread pattern style Goodyear EMT's are. Thankfully, you do have other tire brand alternatives that are produced with closer set bead block patterns in the footprint of the tire, and, are thereby, less conducive to road noise: You might try the Pirelli's, Michelins, Falkens, Nitto's, Kumho's Goodyear F1's, etc.. And, for more illuminating background information, you may refer to the following link for an interesting discussion on road noise, and the many contributing factors (type of pavement construction, and, specific tire tread patterns) to this annoying issue:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&forum_id=103

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by yellowvert
This car is a daily driver lease car with 2 more years to go.
You might want to verify with your leasing company that changing tire type will not cause a problem for you at lease end. Changing tire brands is certainly not a problem.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 PM
MY1STPEWTER
Melting Slicks

I just replaced my original runflats with some Goodyear GS D3's and the difference is like night and day. It rides like a caddy now and is very quiet. Any non-runflat you go to will be an improvement over the Goodyear runflats. I know the Kuhmo Mx''s get lots of very good reviews on this forum and are toward the cheap catergory as you say, for Corvette tires anyway. The only reason I can say that is because I priced them before deciding to go with the GS D3's. They were about 500 dollars cheaper. I now carry with me a small air compressor, needlenose vise grips, plug kit, scissor jack, 1 jacking puck and 1 wheel chock and something to lay or sit on. This all fits very easily in the middle storage compartment. This may or may not be overboard, but like the old saying "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Just my 02.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've been running the BFG KDW's (Traditional tread) for 2 years and I love them. These are not run flats - my car is not a daily driver so I didn't care that much about that. Using Fix-A -Flat will supposedly make a mess of the tire pressure sensors, so that's not an option.

I carry a small patch/plug kit and a compressor that I bought at Wal-Mart for $10. It will fill the tire from flat in under 10 minutes - I know (just don't ask me how I know!)

I also agree with Mr. Lucky - check with your leasing company first if it's okay to change from the OEM tire. I've heard that some expect OEM tires on the car at trade in time. If they don't care - you have a lot of choices, like Edensknight said.

I just bought new wheels and I'm leaning towards the new Michelin PS2 - but I went with bigger wheels too. My car is old (98)and no one but me cares what I put on it. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
falconfling
Racer

Default So whats the consensus on the quietest....

runflat ???
Old 11-12-2005, 12:15 AM
Liberty2000
Instructor

Here's my two cents worth.

1) Since you say you almost never race the car, I would say sticking with the standard size tires should be just fine. I see no reason to go to a larger size tire.
2) I have non-run flats on mine. Tire Rack sells a kit. I think it's made by Continental and it is like $80. It will inflate and seal a non-run flat tire. The good thing is whatever is used to seal the puncture will not ruin the tire pressure monitor.

3) Get the current Car & Driver magazine. They have a tire test and it may help with your decision. The number 1 rated tire in their test is the Goodyear F1 GS D3. Also, Tire Rack has all sorts of tire comparisons on their website and reviews from people about the tires.

I had the same complaint about the Goodyear EMTs that came with the car. They were extremely noisy - especially on concrete. The Goodyear D3s I have on the car now are a huge improvement. Still get some noise on concrete interstates, but on blacktop they are really quiet. I wouldn't cut corners on tires when it comes to cost. Get a less expensive tire that has poor traction in wet pavement, slide off the road on a rainy day and hit a tree and the savings in cost goes down the drain.

Get notified of new replies

To More Tire Questions

Quick Reply: More Tire Questions