Sponsored by:

What does "tubbing" mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Saint_Spinner
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What does "tubbing" mean?

Sorry, a noob here. I just see that word used a lot. What does it mean? BTW, I tried a search, but search is down.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Tubbing means cutting out the inner rear fenderwells, and moving them inwards to create more room for wider tires (when used on wheels designed specifically for a tubbed application).

You can see some pics of this process here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=240&TopicID=1

And here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=36&TopicID=1

Old 11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
vetred
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes and some times you will chop the axels to keep the monster tires under the car
Old 11-12-2005, 03:04 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saint, you now have two great links graciously provided by fellow member Y2Kvert4me above, to help you become more acquainted with this fantastic mod. Trip Mellinger was one of the first C5 enthusiasts to actually post a DIY step by step instructions guide for this particular mod. As you can see, with a little ingenuity, and, appropriate auto body supplies, this mod can be done for the enthusiast who wishes to install 12 inch wide wheels (a strictly positive wheel offset application allowing a wider inner hooped wheel inboard to be installed). Best of luck to you.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Saint_Spinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Tubbing means cutting out the inner rear fenderwells, and moving them inwards to create more room for wider tires (when used on wheels designed specifically for a tubbed application).

You can see some pics of this process here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...=240&TopicID=1

And here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=36&TopicID=1

Ahhhhhh....I see....Thanks alot! That just made all the "tire width" threads make more sense!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Saint_Spinner
Instructor

Originally Posted by edensknight
Saint, you now have two great links graciously provided by fellow member Y2Kvert4me above, to help you become more acquainted with this fantastic mod. Trip Mellinger was one of the first C5 enthusiasts to actually post a DIY step by step instructions guide for this particular mod. As you can see, with a little ingenuity, and, appropriate auto body supplies, this mod can be done for the enthusiast who wishes to install 12 inch wide wheels (a strictly positive wheel offset application allowing a wider inner hooped wheel inboard to be installed). Best of luck to you.

I've only been on this site for a short while now, but this has been the best "forum" experience for me yet. I must admit, I was a little skeptical about the corvette crowd (especially coming from an import scene), but man, this forum and its people blow any other forum out of the water. Thanks again everyone! Truly appreciate it!
Old 11-12-2005, 04:24 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Happy to help. Let us know how you are doing, and, if you are going to attempt this mod yourself (much cheaper by far). There are several tuners that perform this mod for the C5 enthusiast, BUT, at quite a price. In fact, you may find that the cost of this mod performed by a dealer is generally around $1,800, or, more (varies with dealer, and, if performed along with any other specific modifications as requested by the customer). Best of luck to you.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:30 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

I do my tubbing Saturday night with a lot of soap and hot water.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
SpeedyZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like said above tubbing simply makes more room for fitting 13" wide rims and 355/25-19 tires like these under a car! Compare the new rear tires to those tiny factory front tires!

Old 11-13-2005, 04:38 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Not to Hi-jack this thread, but: Speedy Z, good buddy, are you still nekkid? Anyway, your pic is a great visual for any Corvette C5 enthusiast, that actually allows a better view of the chassis, as well as, the inner (denuded) fenderwells, and, cargo area that would have to be modified for this particular (wider wheels and tires) upgrade. Best wishes to all.

Get notified of new replies

To What does "tubbing" mean?

Quick Reply: What does "tubbing" mean?