Sponsored by:

Sticky wheel weights hit my front brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:01 PM
ZilverZ06
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Sticky wheel weights hit my front brake calipers

I just put on a set of chrome five spokes from COH. Has anyone ever had a problem with the sticky weights rubbing against the brake calipers? They had to put the weights on the outside of the rim and it's bugging the crap out of me They said if the sticky weights were moved to the inside the wheels they wouldn't balance properly. Any sugestions.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM
MTurnbo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yah, it happened to me as well. When I put on new tires and had them balanced. Had to remove the weights. Fortunately there was no shake. I did notice that the new weights that were put on were twice as thick as the ones removed and the tape was also twice as thick.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Goonie
Burning Brakes

they make wheel weights in all different sizes... ive seen ones that are less than 2mm thick, they were titanium carbide which is a very heavy metal and expensive as hell, but worth the sacrafice.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:45 PM
ZilverZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Goonie
they make wheel weights in all different sizes... ive seen ones that are less than 2mm thick, they were titanium carbide which is a very heavy metal and expensive as hell, but worth the sacrafice.
Do you know where I can purchase them. I would love to pull off the outside mount weights and put on the stick ones myself. I hate the long wait at Discount. Is that even possible if I use the same wieght number.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:53 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had that problem as well.... When I had some old Nitto 555 tires switched to some mag wheels, just put them in the truck and hauled them home, for use at the track.

Track day arrived, up early (well before dawn), swapped tires, and first pass past the front calipers and scraped them completely off. The clearance, for some reason, on the mag wheels, was MUCH less than 5 spokes.

I had no alternative but to run track day with chromies and GS-D3's - worked out OK though. Got to put the D3's to the test and was impressed.....
Old 11-12-2005, 10:00 PM
ZilverZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by diyguy
I had that problem as well.... When I had some old Nitto 555 tires switched to some mag wheels, just put them in the truck and hauled them home, for use at the track.

Track day arrived, up early (well before dawn), swapped tires, and first pass past the front calipers and scraped them completely off. The clearance, for some reason, on the mag wheels, was MUCH less than 5 spokes.

I had no alternative but to run track day with chromies and GS-D3's - worked out OK though. Got to put the D3's to the test and was impressed.....
I got the D3's too. Were you able to find thinner weights.
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 PM
ZilverZ06
Instructor

Originally Posted by MTurnbo
Yah, it happened to me as well. When I put on new tires and had them balanced. Had to remove the weights. Fortunately there was no shake. I did notice that the new weights that were put on were twice as thick as the ones removed and the tape was also twice as thick.
You run the wheels with no weights
Old 11-12-2005, 11:19 PM
MTurnbo
Burning Brakes

Yep. Didn't shake or shimmy either. Beats me why not.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Goonie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2000NASSAU
Do you know where I can purchase them. I would love to pull off the outside mount weights and put on the stick ones myself. I hate the long wait at Discount. Is that even possible if I use the same wieght number.

beats me i saw em at the track, never asked where he got em, but google it and something will come up.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:27 AM
DoctorBrinkley
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for new rims... 19s/20s!
Old 11-13-2005, 01:35 AM
NSTG8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diyguy

so that's why there was a weight missing on one of my front wheels .. hrrmm ..

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky wheel weights hit my front brake calipers

Quick Reply: Sticky wheel weights hit my front brake calipers