Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pentosynth Synthetic Motor oil, is this any good??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 12:31 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Received 173 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Pentosynth Synthetic Motor oil, is this any good??

I took my E320 Mercedes to my mechanic today to have the oil changed. The MB dealer wanted almost 200 bucks for some BS "Schedule A" maintenance which is bascicall the Jiffylube screw job LOL.

Anyway my mechanic is from Europe he does an AWESOME job with any type of car and is very reasonable and lets me watch, use his lift, whatever.

This is the forst time he changed the oil on this car and he used Pentosynth 5W40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil. I asked why that instead of Mobil 1 or something like that and he said that was junk compared to this. I saw it meets the MB specs, etc. He said this is the type of stuff you wont see in most american garages but its the good stuff.

Anyone ever hear of this oil. I looked it up now and its available online for about 8 bucks a quart. He changed my oil which this car uses 8 quarts, new filter (MB filters are odd) the O-ring, filled up my washer fluid for 78 bucks out the door. I could barely have done it cheaper myself if at all.

Anyway i am thinking about this for the vettes. Anyone heard of this or now of the Pentosynth line of oils??
Old 12-03-2005, 02:29 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Never heard of them before, but haven't really been looking either. I'll keep my eye open for info on it on the oil forums.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

After doing a little research, it looks like this is a fairly good European oil, but cost and availability may be an issue. The 0w30 doesn't appear to be labeled to meet GM Standard 4718M for the Vette, so if your car is under warranty, you may want to stay away from it.

I did find one used oil analysis report of the Pentosynth 5w40 which was compared against the AMSOIL Synthetic 5w40 European Motor Oil in a VW 1.8T after 5k miles. Both performed well and better than the owners Mobil 1 0w40 sample in the same motor. The wear numbers were similar but the AMSOIL held its TBN and viscosity better. I'll PM you the link as I'm not sure about posting links to other forums here.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:59 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Thanks for the info. My mechanic is Lithuanian and he gets the hook up i guess. He is a nice guy but he worries me. Last time i dropped a car off he gave me his. I was driving looked down and a loaded 9mm was on the passenger floorboard!!!!! I am sure he has a permit but i dodnt. I drove very carefully LOL
Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never heard of it while I lived in England and I travel to Europe several times a year... It must be relatively obscure....
Old 12-03-2005, 09:04 PM
dooscoop32
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

How's that?

CRVETTE
Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
JackTsDBG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this - their website:
http://www.pentosin.de/eng/products/...lubricant.html
Old 12-04-2005, 07:20 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

If Mobil 1 is junk then why is it the benchmark that all others compare to?

Mobil wrote the book on synthetics.

Bob
Old 12-04-2005, 02:32 PM
robertpel9
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BobbyG
If Mobil 1 is junk then why is it the benchmark that all others compare to?

Mobil wrote the book on synthetics.

Bob

I don't think it's junk i was just relaying what my mechanic said and it looks like the test this other guy posted stated the Pentosynth was as good or better.

I just wanted to make sure it was decent stuff an ok to put in my cars. I'm not an oil groupie, whatever works works

Get notified of new replies

To Pentosynth Synthetic Motor oil, is this any good??

Quick Reply: Pentosynth Synthetic Motor oil, is this any good??