Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Performance Hood Seal... Instructions and Real-World Testing!...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by IdriveC5
Great write-up. I followed your directions, to the "t", but my car wouldn't restart after the mod. I paid $125 to have it towed to the Chevrolet dealership, then paid them $75 to fix the problem.

You know what it was? The battery was disconnected.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

My car turned Millenium Yellow after I installed it. You didn't tell me that would happen...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

Hey, if you have to double up the tape doesn't that double your cost!
What, do you think were made of money or something??!!

Old 12-22-2005, 10:26 AM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does this mod void the factory warranty?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Allrighty Now!!! Couple this mod with the electric supercharger below. Oh Boy, Hang On, Move Over, I'm Com'n Through!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Elect...spagenameZWDVW

I like it!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by VRROOOM2
Hmmmm... I, for one... am

Claims of adding 0 HP seems a bit excessive, don't you think?

I suppose if I get the Tune to go with it, I'd be close, ehh??

Old 12-22-2005, 05:11 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nyte
Step 9:

FINISHED PROJECT...

"Ooooooooooooooo..."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh..."

Conclusion and real-world testing:

WOW! After a couple of test-drives I report back that this DIY "Performance Hood Seal" has given me the most horsepower out of any of the mods I've done so far! [editor's note: ... mods that include TopDownTechnology's "Window Valet" from Elite Engineering and removing the Daytime-Running-Light fuse.]

I will guarantee this home-made mod will give you at least 0.00 horsepower to the wheels.

I'm sure if I got the $49.99 one I would have gotten a little more HP out of it but who knows?

The real reason anyone would want to do this is to keep dirt and water from getting in through that passageway. Your engine still gets dirty but I'm sure this helps. Plus its great and almost required for aftermarket open air intake systems to keep water from getting into the unprotected air filters and into your engine.

Enjoy your 0 horsepower gains!

I did the same install around the fender lines where the hood meets Now it is SUPER SEALED..no HP leakage
Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Rhode Warrior
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know why I bothered with H/C, exhaust, intake..........
Old 12-22-2005, 05:22 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Nice write up, what made you go with that type of stripping? and not this one? The rubber bulb type?

Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
DoctorBrinkley
Racer

Originally Posted by Dark-Knight
All that and it keeps your motor spotless as well?
Not spotless but it helps.

Great write-up. I followed your directions, to the "t", but my car wouldn't restart after the mod. I paid $125 to have it towed to the Chevrolet dealership, then paid them $75 to fix the problem.

Send me the bill.

Originally Posted by bozo4onion
Dude, you're seriously funny. But strangely you've made me want to do this mod. Great pics too. I'm there.

Originally Posted by CAJUNY2KC5
Keep in mind GM put rear wings on the C5R to offset the pro-racing version of HPHS to keep the rear of the car down.
That's what I heard. I may just drill holes in my weatherstripping so I don't have to add a wing.

Originally Posted by MrRenoman
My car turned Millenium Yellow after I installed it. You didn't tell me that would happen...
Well now you got twice the horsepower gain so stop complaining.

Originally Posted by screw991le
Nice write up, what made you go with that type of stripping? and not this one? The rubber bulb type?
Actually that's what I really wanted. But what I got is what I first ran into at Lowes and it was $3. I may switch eventually, looks more OEM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:15 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the info and pics. Will consider this over the holiday.

Gene
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
viperZ06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

49.99, they have got to be laughing their as#es off everytime they sell one at that price.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:50 PM
ThePizzaC5
Instructor

If anyone's got a farm n fleet near them, they sell the rubber bulb type for $12, which is enough to do two hood seals. (Probably just a store limited to the midwest members here, and not you hill-folk or water-dwellers. )
Old 12-23-2005, 12:14 AM
VA 98 VETTE
Racer

I almost did the same thing. Disconnected the battery thinking the computer would need to relearn the new setup and all the added power from the performance seal, and forgot to reconnect the battery.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:50 AM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

this is hell-ari -us can't wait to do mine . i'mm to lowes auto department right NOW
it ie a great idea though shane
Old 12-24-2005, 01:20 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

you, myfriend, are a mechanical mastermind
Old 03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
BoiseVette
Pro

Originally Posted by RstyNutz
I did the same install around the fender lines where the hood meets Now it is SUPER SEALED..no HP leakage
I triple stacked my hood seal to make the fit extra tight. Before the hood seal, my top speed was only about 175. Now after the mod, I'm well above 200 and have plenty of throttle left before it tops out. I just cant understand why GM would have omitted such a critical part to the C5. I suspect it was for insurance purposes, and to avoid the added expense of manufacturing a speed limiter for the car. I'm thinking about sealing the trunk on my vert to see if the reduction in turbulent air gets me over 250. Hell, maybe I'll also seal the doors and head light areas as well.

Maybe someone would like to do a write up after sealing the whole car with silicone calking or spackle. You could park the car with the window down and just crawl through the open space. I know... It would be a bit of an inconvenience, but imagine all the benefits! Better gas mileage, huge top end speeds, and how cool you'll look climbing in and out of your car through the window area. Kinda like the guys from "The Dukes Of Hazard".

Get notified of new replies

To DIY Performance Hood Seal... Instructions and Real-World Testing!...

Old 03-22-2006, 05:23 PM
NCSU SEE 5
Drifting

Location: Greensboro, NC "REALITY IS MERELY AN ILLUSION, ALBEIT A VERY PERSISTENT ONE"...ALBERT EINSTEIN"
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Nyte
Actually that's what I really wanted. But what I got is what I first ran into at Lowes and it was $3. I may switch eventually, looks more OEM.
Here you go

Lowes
Frost King rubber foam weatherseal
3/4" wide x 7/16" thick x 10 ' long
Black R734
UPC 77578 01224 7
about $5

Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by BoiseVette
I triple stacked my hood seal to make the fit extra tight. Before the hood seal, my top speed was only about 175. Now after the mod, I'm well above 200 and have plenty of throttle left before it tops out. I just cant understand why GM would have omitted such a critical part to the C5. I suspect it was for insurance purposes, and to avoid the added expense of manufacturing a speed limiter for the car. I'm thinking about sealing the trunk on my vert to see if the reduction in turbulent air gets me over 250. Hell, maybe I'll also seal the doors and head light areas as well.

Maybe someone would like to do a write up after sealing the whole car with silicone calking or spackle. You could park the car with the window down and just crawl through the open space. I know... It would be a bit of an inconvenience, but imagine all the benefits! Better gas mileage, huge top end speeds, and how cool you'll look climbing in and out of your car through the window area. Kinda like the guys from "The Dukes Of Hazard".
I wrapped mine in Tyvek house wrap. I haven't been able to test it yet, still trying to figure out how to get back into the car. But as soon as I do, I'll post the results.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:23 PM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

"Step 5:

Test fit, mark the weatherstripping giving yourself a couple extra inches (you should have more than extra at the end of all this), and cut it."

You will be getting a call from my attorney. After following YOUR directions, the phone rang and I RAN to answer it, still carrying my scissors! (%#*!, Mrs. Johnson, my 3rd grade teacher was RIGHT!).

Since you failed to specifically state that I should not run with my scissors, I must hold you responsible!

Quick Reply: DIY Performance Hood Seal... Instructions and Real-World Testing!...