Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 09:28 AM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Beware of the Carfax Guarantee

Having used carfax and being mislead by how they can help you I thought I would check things out. At best it can actually give you a false sense of security of the true condition of your posible purchase. Not really reading the carfax propaganda, I sent an email to just see how they would respond.

Carfax gives you NO guarantee on anything, they have covered their butt with the ole not reported to the DMV. If it is not a salvaged title, you don't have a chance at anything. Lawers = big $$$$

Here is the response:

We are sorry if the vehicle's entire history was not included in your report. This can happen occasionally as we are dependent on our sources to provide us with complete information.

CARFAX Reports include major accidents from all 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and each Canadian Province - these are total loss wrecks so severe that they are reported to state or provincial DMVs and result in a branded title. Our coverage of these severe wrecks that result in DMV branded titles is backed by the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee on every CARFAX Report.

We also collect information on many minor accidents and related damage from many sources. However we don't have information on many accidents. As stated on each CARFAX Report: Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX.

The CARFAX Buyback Guarantee protects you from severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, odometer problems and lemon history) that were reported to a Department of Motor Vehicles. These problems are often referred to as branded titles. No other data is covered by this guarantee program. Do you know if the vehicle has been issued a salvaged title due to this accident?

I cannot stress enough to new potential buyers that you should not rely on the carfax information. DO NOT LET it give you a true sense of the condition of your future ride. Take it to a friend, or body shop and pay them $150 for a true evaluation. It's easy to go blind when you think your looking at a sweet ride.

Hope this helps those who have been asking about this issue lately.

tt

BTW, most states will provide DMV data to you for free, it does take a little effort to get it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:36 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There can be so many things that can happen to a car that nobody could possibly know about that can't show up on any report! Let the buyer be ware!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 AM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi gr8vet -

Our 1998 lumina has been wrecked 5 times - once for $10,800 in damages when it was less than a year old.....

Carfax = clean history.

Carfax = not worth the time it took to type this, let alone any MONEY.

Sorry you found out the hard way - I have been preaching this for a few years (since I found out how "clean" our lumina is....).

anyone want to buy a nice Lumina LTZ - clean carfax!

best regards -

mqqn

Last edited by mqqn; 01-04-2006 at 02:48 PM. Reason: I can't type or spell....
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 PM
michael wyborny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly!!! Car fax sucks!!!! I just wish more people would use others peoples accounts, as the report is probably worth maybe a dollar. I personally know of 3 vehicles that were 'totaled'... (It used to be two, but my buddy at work has since told me HIS story), and car fax comes back as 'clean'.
bottom line... car fax is a rip off for the price. But, there raking it in. There's a place in hell for people like this.

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of the Carfax Guarantee

Quick Reply: Beware of the Carfax Guarantee