Sponsored by:

Leaking Targa : (

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 11:43 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking Targa : (

When it rains a decent amount I notice steady drips of water coming in from both the driver and passenger side.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? Do I need to replace the targa or a seal on it or a seal on the actual car? I think it would the the seal on the car correct?

I need to take care of this right away as my mint interior is not appreciating the water from last nights storm.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:14 AM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not alone. If my car is just sitting in heavy rain I get leaks on both sides just aft of the windows. I think the water accumulates near the back of the targa and the drains just don't relieve it fast enough. My weather stripping is in real good shape. Btw, I've never had a t-top or targa that doesn't leak even a little. I always have a soft rag in the car for just that purpose.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:55 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine does the same thing, dont feel bad. Probably have to replace the weatherstripping.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by c3andc5
You are not alone. If my car is just sitting in heavy rain I get leaks on both sides just aft of the windows. I think the water accumulates near the back of the targa and the drains just don't relieve it fast enough. My weather stripping is in real good shape. Btw, I've never had a t-top or targa that doesn't leak even a little. I always have a soft rag in the car for just that purpose.

I get a bit **** about keeping them cleaned and conditioned but, still get a few drops every once and a while too...
Old 02-04-2006, 10:44 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Adjust the Panel

Roof Lift Off Panel Adjustment
1. Perform one or more of the following five adjustment procedures to properly align the roof lift off panel.

2. To adjust the front striker for up down roof alignment perform the following steps:
3. Remove the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.
A. For major up down roof adjustment loosen the striker bolts and reposition the latch striker up or down.
B. For minor up or down roof adjustment loosen the striker outboard bolt and slightly loosen the inboard bolt, pivot the striker on the inboard bolt in 2 mm (0.08 in) increments up or down.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
C. Tighten the striker bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
D. When the striker is properly adjusted the handle will snap closed.
4. Install the windshield upper garnish molding. Refer to Windshield Upper Garnish Molding Replacement in Interior Trim.

5. To adjust the front latch handle forward or rearward perform the following steps:
. Loosen the latch handle bolts.
A. Position the latch handle forward or rearward. Maintain a minimum of 2 mm (0.08 in) clearance between latch handle and the latch striker to avoid squeaks and rattles.
B. Assure the latch handle base is parallel to the striker to provide clearance to the sunshade mirror door.
C. Tighten the latch handle bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof front latch handle bolts to 13 N•m (10 lb ft).

6. For major rear latch adjustment adjust the rear latch striker performing the following steps:
A. Remove the roof lift off panel.
B. Remove the roof bow center interior trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Rear Roof Bow in Interior Trim.
C. Loosen the rear latch striker attaching bolts.
D. Adjust the position of the latch striker forward or rearward for major adjustment.
E. Tighten the striker attaching bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear striker bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
F. Install the roof lift off panel.

7. For minor rear latch adjustment, adjust the latch handle hook one turn at a time to achieve moderate pressure to the latch as follows.
. Remove the roof lift off panel.
A. Loosen the set screw locking the latch hook.
B. Turn the hook in to tighten or out to loosen.
C. Tighten the set screw.
D. Install the roof panel.

8. To adjust the rear locator perform the following steps:
. With the roof installed on the vehicle loosen the locator mounting bolts.
A. Reposition the locator.
B. Tighten the mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the roof rear locator to locator bracket bolts to 10 N•m (89 lb in).
© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:28 PM
jah13
Intermediate

Default Leaking Targa Top

The rear gasket is actually hallowed to allow water to drain through it. There are two drain holes per side on the gasket that need to be clear of Debris, Caulking or RTV compound. To see the holes, open the door and at the base of the gasket, there is a square cut out and at the end of the fold, there is another opening. In order to get proper draining, water must flow through these two holes. Carefully pour a small amount of water at the top opening of the gasket and you should see it drain on the side near the door striker. I recently replaced the gasket on my 98 C5 and found that after applying RTV on the clips I covered the openings. Be careful if you attempt to remove any excess material since the seal may be brittle.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:51 PM
troy144
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem. I don't have a garage but keep my car under a car cover when not driving it. Mine seems to penetrate somewhere near the front. It does not leak when raining or at least I see no signs of leaks during rainfall but I notice that after a rain and during hard cornering water leaks from the front of the top. I have the instructions for tightening the top but have not done so yet. I am waiting for a little warmer weather. The water seems to pool in the channel in the frame at the front.

Disclaimer: If my grammer is poor its the fault of the beer producers. They should add a disclaimer along with the general warnings that beer consumption contributes to poor typing.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Freestyler
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jah13
The rear gasket is actually hallowed to allow water to drain through it. There are two drain holes per side on the gasket that need to be clear of Debris, Caulking or RTV compound. To see the holes, open the door and at the base of the gasket, there is a square cut out and at the end of the fold, there is another opening. In order to get proper draining, water must flow through these two holes. Carefully pour a small amount of water at the top opening of the gasket and you should see it drain on the side near the door striker. I recently replaced the gasket on my 98 C5 and found that after applying RTV on the clips I covered the openings. Be careful if you attempt to remove any excess material since the seal may be brittle.

this and dielectric grease regularly (6m) on the seals will keep em fresh

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking Targa : (

Quick Reply: Leaking Targa : (