Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks Kerbeck body shop (yeah right)!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:50 PM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thanks Kerbeck body shop (yeah right)!

I am going to start this on a positive note.
Kerbeck did a major collision repair for me, on my 99FRC, almost three years ago.
In the end, I think the total cost for repairs was over $14,000.00
Mechanically I think they did a very good job. The body panels line up and the doors close with no issues. The car drives strait and all the electronics work as described.

But, They reused some parts that should have been replaced.
I had many minor cosmetic issues that I ended up excepting as just being the "cost of doing business".
NOW I have found something else that can be directly attributed to their workmanship.
I have had minor water leaks into the cockpit since the day I had gotten the car back from them. They fixed a major leak I had that came thru the top of the windshield. Later, the leaks worsened over the driver’s window. I removed the weather seal and the aluminum molding that the weather seal sits in. Beneath I found that the double-sided tape had obviously been reused. It wasn't even sticky, and it was broken in several places. I cleaned and replaced the tape. That fixed the leaks for the most part.
Two days ago, after miscalculating the weather, I found a puddle o' water in the Pax floor. I decided to do the same to it as I had the Drivers side.
I removed the headliner and had my S.O spray the water. I was horrified as I watched the water pour in. Suddenly, my roof leaks as if it was designed to. I looked at the headliner and noted there were several water stains on it. Also noted it was soaked in a large section of it, presumably from two nights before.
Once I removed the aluminum weather strip holder, I found that the drip molding was broken in several areas and the sealant behind it hadn't been replaced.
Now I have to wonder, what other corners did they cut while repairing my car??
If you’re wondering why I hadn't notice this three years sooner. For the most part, my Vette lives indoors. I do drive in the rain and it sits outside if there is a minor rain forecast. When it is driven in the rain, I think the water is less likely to run DOWN. When it is washed, I use significantly less water then a heavy downpour. Therefore the headliner was able to absorbed most of it.
Thanks to CF for giving me a place to vent.
Thanks to Fred Beans for the quick and painless parts order.

Rob
Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
Fourtrax250R
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

daym, I had thought they were one of the best? Goodluck on your fixing the leaks!
Old 02-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Z06HPISFUN
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I hate stories like this. Perhaps the local Better Business Bureau is a good place to share this story with. Good luck on the repairs
Old 02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You should be venting to Kerbeck just to let them know you found there dog shizz workmanship. JMHO
Old 02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Any warranty coverage from them? I know some dealers give a "lifetime" warranty on any repairs they perform.... This doesn't sound like a normal "wear and tear" exception. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:19 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Before you hang Kerbeck out to dry (no pun intended), maybe a conversation with your insurance company is in order. If they paid for these parts to be replaced, then you have to question why they weren't. If the insurance company short changed Kerbeck and refused to pay for these parts - then Kerbeck certainly isn't at fault. They did the best they could.

I doubt that a dealership the size of Kerbeck and with the reputation that they enjoy with the Corvette community would intentionally do shoddy work and run the risk of hurting the reputation that they worked so hard to build.

I would start with the insurance company and then a conversation with the Body Shop Manager - with as much documentation as possible to support your case.........imho.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leo the Lion
You should be venting to Kerbeck just to let them know you found there dog shizz workmanship. JMHO
It’s been three years. I can already hear the answer. "Why didn't you come back right away"?
Honestly, I did return several times. I started noticing that the guy would roll his eyes when I would walk in the door.
Unfortunately for me, I am too backwards to deal with the kind of situation. I am not the professional in this instance, and just felt like I was asking for too much.
That’s the reason he is in that Business, and I do what I am good at.
He "put me in my place" a few times and made me feel like a dumba$$.
I needed to vent and, hopefully someone else that may find themselves in this position, can turn it around on them.
Also, since I am in the service, I was transferred shortly after the repairs.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
StealthZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was there any type of warranty/guarantee on the work?
Old 02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
EZEDDIE
Racer

I would love to see Kerbek reply here.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The moral of the story here is, after major bodywork, go to a selfserve car wash with the spray wands and try to find any leaks right after the car is out of the body shop.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:42 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Sorry for your pain! I'd take it back to them no matter how long ago they did the work and demand that they make it right!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

So here we are 3 years later and you still have a leaky windshield . You probably don't want to drive the 900 miles (each way) to take the car back... and after this long with the results you've gotten so far, if you did make the drive I imagine everyone in the complex would either roll their eyes at you or roll on the floor laughing .

Might be time to find a local windshield / glass shop and take your car to them and get it fixed. You will end up with no leaks and you will be much happier and life will be good.

In the mean time, sorry about the problems and I hope this helps...
Old 02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
navy99vert
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Rob,
Sorry about your troubles
What part of Savannah do you live. I don't see many Forum members in this area

Get notified of new replies

To Thanks Kerbeck body shop (yeah right)!

Quick Reply: Thanks Kerbeck body shop (yeah right)!