Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversteer 101

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 01:23 AM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree that C5s generally understeer, but you have several other variables such as tires, tire pressure, alignment, driver input… For the record I could never find a older or newer mustang that could hang in corners with me.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:39 AM
Cscokd
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

hmmm...just a couple of comments to share since I've owned and driven my 98 since new.

1) Driving the C5 is not "just" like driving all the other high performance cars in my opinion. The C5 take a little more driver skills especially during aggressive cornering. The back end likes to walk on past you if you don't finish braking and let your suspension settle out before you enter turns and then accelerate out.
2) Mustangs cannot generally match the C5 in corners, but again it depends on the drivers
3) You probably do NOT have active handling. It was optional in 1998. Traction Control does nothing to save you in the turns.
4) I would definitely get some better tires as others have suggested.
5) My advice is to go to a couple autocross events right there in Napa and Sacramento and really get the feel for your car's handling on the skidpad.

How do I know this? Well, I've spun my car at every track event because I thought I knew how to drive high performance cars and then finally decided to get some high performance driver training. It makes a difference. Don't get discouraged too quick. Give the car a chance to really show you what it can do. Hope that helps.

Edit: BTW, when I let the Russell School instructor take me around the Infineon track in my car it scared the sh&t out of me. I think he was driving 30% faster than I did and the car was smooth as silk and really loving it, so like I said don't get discouraged - give your car a chance to show you what it's got. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Last edited by Cscokd; 03-06-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My C5 has never understeered. I've always been surprised to feel the front grip on any corner I have taken.

The C5 has a very tight and responsive suspension... great for road courses. I once did a 360 in a Formula Ford at the race track doing around 30 mph. The racing suspension is so sensitive that you really have to be in control when you are getting on it.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

Just this past weekend(Saturday night) leaving a night club and turning left onto a main road, I goosed the gas a little more than a little, and BOY OH BOY was it fun getting my azz to settle down!

TC/AH was off, and I expected it to kick out a little, but probably due to sand/dirt/debris in the road, plus my right rear tire ALWAYS breaks loose, especially on left-hand turns...

I recovered and my passenger's pucker factor went back to normal after about 10 minutes...

BTW, I bought the car with Khumo Ecsta MX non-runflats, and have put over 30k miles on it since, with very few burnouts(just one good one, till I order a new set this spring).
Old 03-06-2006, 11:12 AM
iurutherford
Racer

I'd have to say I'd agree with cscokd...either your car isn't equipped with Active Handling or it isn't functioning. My '98 A4 gets a little tail happy if I get overly aggresive with the throttle in a turn, but the active handling has saved me from going around in a 180...at least so far. I've also owned a few higher performance cars, Mustangs and a 350Z, and the corvette outhandles all of them by far...including the fairly highly touted Z. Mustang suspensions always feel cushy to me. But hey, if you're serious about selling your C5....your call. Glad your ok.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by spdislife
Someone educate me. If worn tires are the culprit, why do autocrossers and road racers shave the tread down on new tires? If you're wondering where I got this, it's from the Goodyear tire store. Thanx

The tread depth is not a problem, it's the age of the tires. You could buy a set of brand new tires let them sit in a garage unused and mount them on you car 10 years later and have the same problem even though the tread is still there.

The reason that you have tires shaved is (1) the car is more stable since there is less rubber to move around on. Think about 2 poles in the ground. one is 5' high, the other is 20' high. If you try to shake the pole, which one is going to move around more at the top. (2) less heat. Since there is less movement in the tread, the tires generate less heat. Some track tires are designed to that they can be run a full depth in the rain or in the dry if they are shaved. If you run them at full depth on a dry track, they will overheat, wear out much faster, and possibly start to chunk. It is important to note that tread depth has nothing to do with the life of a race tire as long as you are not down to the cords. You measure the life span of a track tire in heat cycles, so every time you heat them up and let them cool, they get a little bit harder until they are unusable. Also note, that when you have race tires shaved, you are talking about new rubber that still has good grip, not old tires that have been slowly worn down.

and just for the record, any time you accidently break traction, it is driver error. You are over driving the car. Not trying to say anything bad about you, it happens to us all at 1 time or another, but it is important to recognize it for what it is. And yes a bone stock 86 Mustang w/ good tire will out do any Corvette with crappy tires.

Last edited by Lancer033; 03-06-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Besides having a tread life, those d*%^ runflats have a shelf life. After a year or two they get hard and slick. The first time I took my '03 to the track with an older set of stock runflats, it was like driving on ice, the tires would not hook up. I got rid of them and bought OEM Z06 wheels and F1 Supercars. That made all the difference in the world.

If you are going to drive spirited you need to get new tires.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 03-06-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:53 PM
mfriley
Advanced

I know it has already been said but get new tires. My '98 with no t/c was all over the road when I first got it. It had 3 or 4 yr old run flats and great tread but would not hook up to save it's life, especially if there was just a little moisture. I switched to nitto's and it is like a night and day difference. Second check the suspension if it still feels loose after the tires.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for your advice - I appreciate it. I've concluded that:

1. My stock runflats are toast - many would argue that runflats are toast even when brand new actually.

2. It would behoove me to get some autocross experience from a professional. Does anyone have the 411 on who to call or where to go in the Sacramento area. I know Sac Raceway has a 1/4 mi strip but do they have autocross events there as well?

3. Before I even think about #2, I need to address #1. Anyone have a favorite tire or vendor? I've been looking online at Tire Rack.

Thanks again!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Frozenfire
Burning Brakes

You guys got me thinking. When I got my 2000 it came through with Firehawks on the front and Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear (17/18). Two things come to mind: 1. You shouldn't mix radials, and 2. I don't know how old the tires are. Sounds like it's time for a rubber purchase before something goes wrong.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:46 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
The tread depth is not a problem, it's the age of the tires. You could buy a set of brand new tires let them sit in a garage unused and mount them on you car 10 years later and have the same problem even though the tread is still there.

Thanx Lancer...makes sense
Old 03-06-2006, 08:19 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Slow hands, worn tires, snap oversteer, ='s hold on for the ride...

Peace
Willfulone
Old 03-06-2006, 11:20 PM
poolhustler
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a '93 LX 5.0 Mustang. Great car. Drove it real hard.

I have an '02 coupe. Even better car. Drive it pretty hard.

No way the LX handles as well as the Vette.

Sounds like new tires are the way to go!

Good luck,

Russ..
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Frozenfire
You guys got me thinking. When I got my 2000 it came through with Firehawks on the front and Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear (17/18). Two things come to mind: 1. You shouldn't mix radials, and 2. I don't know how old the tires are. Sounds like it's time for a rubber purchase before something goes wrong.
Back in '72 I bought a used '67 Cougar 3 speed. Nice car!! It had mismatched tires. I took off out of a gas station. Not slow but not that fast either. Once I got out on the street I hit the gas and that car did a 360, bam, I was 180 before I knew what was happening. Nothing happened since I wasn't going that fast but it scared the 1#$ out of me. That point onward there was no spirited driving till I got new rubber. Once new tires were on that car was so tight!! (for a car of that era). I agree change your tires things can happen so fast it's really not worth the price of a set of tires which you will have to buy at some point in time. That time may as well be now.

Quick Reply: Oversteer 101