Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty: Warranty Direct, GMPP

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Craig Wagner
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extended Warranty: Warranty Direct, GMPP

I just upgraded from my '98 Coupe to an '03 Coupe with just shy of 18k miles.

I'd like to get an extended warranty for it. The car is about 4.5 months out of factory warranty (service date was late Oct of 2002). After searching and reading the threads it seems like WD or GMPP are the way to go.

With WD I have a couple of choices. I can get MajorCare which, according to their web site, "Covers the most likely to fail “big ticket items” plus many others." Or I could pay an inspection fee ($99) and go with their SecureCare+ (assuming it passes inspection of course), which is "True bumper to bumper protection", but with a healthy list of exclusions. I can understand some of the exclusions (battery, bulbs, tires), but other things that are excluded are the things I think I'd want the warranty for (weather strips, exterior body parts/ornamentation, paint, upholstery & carpet, wheels/rims). I'd be looking at the 4 year, 50,000 mile option, so the SecureCare+ would be about $450 more (including inspection fee).

I did not buy the car from a GM dealer, but from what I've read I can pay for an inspection (about $800) and still get a GMPP. I have not confirmed that with a local dealership though. I also have no idea what the GMPP would cost, but the inspection fee (if what I've read is accurate), seems to make GMPP considerably more expensive. For that reason GMPP is running a second to WD.

Anyone have any feedback regarding WD vs GMPP, or of the two different WD packages (e.g. is SecureCare+ worth it)?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

If you car is out of warranty period, you cannot get GMPP.
You're rolling the dice with other companies, if you've read some of the related threads.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:11 PM
poolhustler
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's not true. My '02 is out of the factory warranty. I called my favorite dealer and they WOULD set me up with a GMPP warranty. Maybe they were doing it as a favor to me because the company I work for leases many vehicles from them each year??

Russ...
Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Warranty Direct is a good outfit.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

I would be careful about that GMPP warranty they are willing to give you on a car that's out of warranty. Dealers aren't suppoed to do that. If the wrong people find out about it you could lose it
Old 03-07-2006, 06:22 AM
sooz
Pro

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
I would be careful about that GMPP warranty they are willing to give you on a car that's out of warranty. Dealers aren't suppoed to do that. If the wrong people find out about it you could lose it
Actually, I"ve spoken with numerous dealers now who will indeed sell me a GMPP warranty if the car is put through their inspections. It's no different than if you buy a car used from the dealer. For example, my 99 had 24K miles on it and I bought it from a Chevy dealer. At the time the selling dealer offered me a GMPP. I didn't take it. Now I'm buying the Major Guard at a local dealer who will sell it if the car is put through the same inspection that they would have done had they sold me the car. The average inspection is about 2 hours of labor, or about $150. Well worth it if you don't buy it at the time you buy the car. Check around, you will find a dealer who will sell you one.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by ben dover
Warranty Direct is a good outfit.
You can take the car to the shop of your choice if you have problems and the list of exclusions are reasonable IMO.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:56 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is an extract from a letter on Major Guard GMPP direct from a Forum member and supporting vendor ( Fitchner Chevrolet)... I believe they sell more GMPP than most dealers...

WHEN CAN I PURCHASE GMPP?

Any time as long as your vehicle is still inside the new vehicle limited warranty, PERIOD. Major Guard time and mileage limits start on the same day as you purchase the plan and from the odometer reading the day you purchase the plan. Again, You may purchase the plan at any time but such coverage must be purchased prior to the end of the new vehicle limited warranty of 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

Originally Posted by vette99coupe
In which case I would have to get my money back from someone (either GMPP or the dealership that sold it to me). I can't be expected to know what their rules are. If I ask and they tell me I can get it, I have to trust that they know what they're talking about.

Look at the conflicting responses from the experts in the forum. Directly contradicting answers.

So which Warranty Direct plan is better?

Who has them?

What kind of stuff have you been denied coverage on?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
As you can see, there are conflicting posts to this on this thread and others. I guess I'll just have to stop by the local Chevy dealer and find out for sure.

You're rolling the dice with other companies, if you've read some of the related threads.
I've found threads that talk about the 1Source/PrimeGuard failure, but virtually everyone who comments on Warranty Direct has never had a problem with them.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

ttt
Old 03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
gr8vet
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

My advice.

Go to your dealer, or local shop where any possible work may be done. ASK them which warranties they accept. Which one they prefer to work with. Don't skimp and try to save $ 200 dollars in the beginning. My extended warranty was chosen on the above comments, It payed for itself in less than two months. $ 2000.00 Can't remember name of warranty, it is one of the warranty threads in a previous post of mine. WD I have heard is a good one too.

I was also told by dealer and local shops, if they (warranty company)pays with a Credit Card thay will work with them.

Best

tt
Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

Originally Posted by gr8vet
I was also told by dealer and local shops, if they (warranty company)pays with a Credit Card thay will work with them.
That's actually one of the things that Warranty Direct touts is that they pay the claims on a corporate credit card.

Good suggestion about checking with the local shop.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Gmpp Major Guard extended warranty

Hi

I have a 2002 with a Gmpp Major guard until 04/07, can l extend it, l only have 12,000 miles on it?

Alan
Old 03-09-2006, 12:57 PM
zguy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful
My coupe was out of warranty by several months when I bought it used but I still was able to get it through my local Chevy dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranty: Warranty Direct, GMPP

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: Warranty Direct, GMPP