Sponsored by:

Full LED Interior Install/Purchasing Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:50 PM
C5R UZR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Full LED Interior Install/Purchasing Question

I'm preparing for a large weekend of interior Mods during Spring Break, and I'm trying to line everything up so I don't have to tear into the interior again, so I can just take care of everything at once.

So, is there any other common mods that I might should think about while I'm in there, I'd like to hear them Currently, she's slated for:
HUD retrofit
LED conversions
Shift boot, ebrake boot, Console cover
Cluster rings
Stereo install

My main concern right now is getting the right number of LED's ordered. I've spent hours searching the threads and developed an Excel spreadsheet to help me budget how many I need. Once it is complete (I need help filling in the holes) then I'll add a few in for spares and be set. My hope is that this table will serve as a reference to others that are considering tackling a similar task.

So, if you guys that have worked with this could look it over and help us all out, I'd be greatly appreciative. Resistors will be 1/4 Watt 430 or 470 Ohm (which and why, or should I get both? - if so, which where?)

IT GOT REALLY MESSY WHEN POSTED, the website should be much more clear, especially with what I need...

Website, for viewing: http://hometown.aol.com/myf355spider/LED.html
Website, for editing and sending back:
http://hometown.aol.com/myf355spider/LED.csv

Corvette LED conversion All blue, with red and white where it makes sense…Red on door panels to match interior 1998 w/ HUD added w/ AH and Active Ride Suspension

Location Quantity Color Type Resistors? Comments
HVAC 14 Blue 3mm Y Needs a 6000Ohm resistor to reduce brightness? Where (series or parallel?) in the line?
HVAC 5 Red 3mm N For On/Off indicators
DIC (Driver w/ HUD) 4 Blue 3mm Y Brighter than others? Fix by painting sanded down tips black?
DIC (Passenger) 3 Blue 3mm Y
Rearview Mirror (1998) ? Blue or White ? N 2 194's or 12 3mm's (no resistors) or 12 5mm's (no resistors)?; one site said C5's have 212-2
Window/Lock (Driver) 4 Red 3mm Y
Window/Lock (Passenger) 2 Red 3mm Y
Radio 10 Blue 5mm Y I'm not actually doing the radio, do to aftermarket setup, but here for reference for others planning purposes…must be shaved down, can try substituting 3mm but no gaurantees
Radio 1 Blue 3mm N
Traction Control/AH 3? Blue 3mm Y
Active Control Susp (1998) ? Blue 3mm Y
Trunk/Fog Lights 2? Blue ? ?
Fog Light ON/OFF 1 Red 3mm? N? Shave down
Exhaust Plate (optional) 2 Red 5mm Y Shave tips to eliminate spot effect, mount on Lexan
Auto Shifter Indications 1 Blue 194 N? 6 5mm or 1 194?!??
Auto Shifter Indications 1 Red 5mm? ? for Park
Foot Well (Driver) 1 Blue or White 194 N? Not sure on color yet; or 2 5mm?
Foot Well (Passenger) 1 Blue or White 194 N? Not sure on color yet; or 2 5mm?
Trunk Lighting (Driver) 1 White 194 N? or 4 5mm?
Trunk Lighting (Passenger) 1 White 194 N? or 4 5mm?
License Plate Lighting 2 White 194 N? or 6 5mm?
Under Hood 1 Red 212 N? #212 bulb, 44mm long with 9 LED

Key:
Italicized = Known
Bold = Unsure
Plain = My decision/info

Thanks so MUCH!
Steven
Old 03-08-2006, 11:45 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I just finished doing the LED install. I installed all white LEDs.

All resistors go in series with the LED. The resistor is used to reduce the voltage from 12v to 3-3.5v needed by the LEDs.

For the DIC and door controls, I used 3mm LEDs with 470 ohm resistors. In the foot wells I found a manufactured 12v white LED module at Superbright LEDs. The link takes you right to the module. http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

For the rear view mirror it takes 12 LEDs with no resistors. This is for the electrochromatic (auto dimming) mirror. If your does not have this feature all bets are off for a LED conversion.

I would not recomend changing the HVAC controls to LEDs unless you have a professional sodering station with a desodering vacume.

For installation instructions I followed most of what Spdkilz has put into his tech tips. http://www.spdkilz.com/techtip.html

I do not have any pictures of my install yet. But will be posting as soon as I do.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:55 PM
patrick21x
Advanced

i used 470resistors
12 5mm white in the mirror w/out resistors
here are a couple pics

Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Hi Steven-

Let me see if I can simplify some of your Q's:

For what it's worth, I used 3mm LED's to avoid having to shave down 5mm ones...

I used all 3mm (superbright) LED's with a 1/4 watt, 430ohm resistor for the door switches (and all other applications).

When you insert the LED, DO NOT insert it all the way down in the base.

All the other lights are 194 applications. You can get the LED's, resistors and 194 bases from www.superlumination.com

Carleton (SpdKilz) has done an amazing job at doing the write up on his website. I couldn't explain it any better in a million years.

As for the rearview mirror, I used the 212, 44mm , 9 LED, bulbs from the above website. They work awesome... just be careful when inserting them, they short out the #2 fuse in the passenger footwell fusebox if the connectors touch the back of the inside of the mirror.

The shifter light is best with 4-5mm LED's... just make sure the spreads evenly over the whole area. And you should shave off the center part of the clear, lexan piece to get the most light through. The piece looks like the keel on a sail boat.

Hope this helps.

Dave Q.

Last edited by MyVetteDream; 03-09-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:38 AM
scott_fx
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had great service (and prices) from: http://www.oznium.com/led

they sell resistors with there led's too
Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 AM
straightrunning
Instructor

Another good site, http://www.lsdiodes.com/
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Max01GreenMachine
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Your excel spreadsheet is a great idea. I like http://www.spdkilz.com. It is an excellent reference for HVAC/doors/DIC buttons etc.....

I used 3000-6000 lumen 3mm LEDs with 470 ohm resistors.
I bought them in batches of 100 (Red, Blue, Green) from Hong Kong on Ebay. Great prices if you have a bunch of friends that like LEDs.

I did use a resistor on the HVAC power supply to the bulb network to bring down the brightness, however I don't recall the value.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Later,
Max
Old 03-09-2006, 08:48 AM
C5R UZR
Pro

Thanks guys, the comments are all very much appreciated. I am not worried about the source for purchasing them, nor the process of doing the install. It all looks very well laid out by SpdKilz and other forum members write-ups and questions. My goal is to identify how many LED's I will need (obviously adding extras in case) and to have a single published document for future use so you don't have to spend hours scouring each article and guessing on the quantities required...
Thanks
Steven
Old 03-09-2006, 09:34 AM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004

Originally Posted by C5R UZR
Thanks guys, the comments are all very much appreciated. I am not worried about the source for purchasing them, nor the process of doing the install. It all looks very well laid out by SpdKilz and other forum members write-ups and questions. My goal is to identify how many LED's I will need (obviously adding extras in case) and to have a single published document for future use so you don't have to spend hours scouring each article and guessing on the quantities required...
Thanks
Steven
The exact count will vary... but average will be about 14 (not including the mirror). 14 is replacing the switch LED's and 2 per socket in the footwells and cargo lights.

The number will go up if you decide to got with more in the footwells and cargo area.

Dave
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
SpdKilz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey everyone (Hi Dave and Max!) Thanks for the props to the site

Via C5R's request:
Here is what I have done:

Footwells = (4) 5mm LEDs with resistors (two for each side).

Trunk Lights = (6) 5mm LEDs with resistors (three for each side).

HVAC = (19) 3mm LEDs, (14) with resistors, (5) without.

Rearview Mirror (assuming they are originally LEDs) = (12) 5mm LEDs without resistors.

LED Door Switch = (6) 3mm LEDs with resistors.

DIC = (for my Z06…not all DICs are the same – my buddies ’01 Z06 used less LEDs than my 03 did) (7) 3mm LEDs with resistors.

License Plate Lights = (3) 3mm LEDs (or I’d assume (2) 5mm LEDs)

That is what I’ve done thus far. I will try to get a tech tip on changing the actual gauge cluster lights to LEDs eventually…

Carleton
Old 03-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i would love to have my whole interior done with led is there anyone who actually does it for you?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

C glad to see you on man! Long time no chat!

Originally Posted by gitusum
i would love to have my whole interior done with led is there anyone who actually does it for you?
You're talking to them
Old 03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C5R UZR
So, is there any other common mods that I might should think about while I'm in there, I'd like to hear them

I'd definitely throw in a Column Lock Bypass while you have the dash apart. http://www.thunderracing.com

Also, I'd clean and adjust the E-brake ratchet. There was a great post about that with photos showing how the factory grease got hard and was affecting the hand brake. I've been searching for it but can't seem to find it.

Good luck, sounds like a full weekend

Last edited by JohnnyB; 03-09-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
mkiv808
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patrick21x
i used 470resistors
12 5mm white in the mirror w/out resistors
here are a couple pics
What h/u is that? AVIC-N1?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:12 PM
StealthZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to do this mod, but I lack the technical ability. Some of yall here have some serious talent.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrick, your LED conversion is awesome. And, Dave, good buddy, your LED's are out of this world (and your photo's are like looking at a beautiful LED C5 candystore catalog! It is just amazing what a great look the LED's offer to enhance the interior. Very cool, guys!

Get notified of new replies

To Full LED Interior Install/Purchasing Question

Quick Reply: Full LED Interior Install/Purchasing Question