Sponsored by:

Optima Batteries Response to my e-mail

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Optima Batteries Response to my e-mail

I have a 99 that most likely will need a new battery shortly. Since many people have had problems with batteries leaking out the side terminal I thought I'd contact Optima and ask them directly here is their response to my email.

My email:

I have a 99 Corvette that is in need of a new battery. I belong to a web site forum that addresses many issues involving Corvettes. One question that frequently pops up is about batterys. Some people have had problems with side terminal batterys leaking all major brands have been listed. With these cars that is a major problem as there are many eletronic componets located directly under the battery. The acid causes major corsion problems! To prevent this leaking several fourm posts have suggested converting to a top post only model battery. Others have said it is as a result of ovetightening the side post terminals breaking the seal between the case and the terminal. What does your engineering department have to say about this problem?

Optima's answer

The Optima Batteries main post are the top post and the side post are auxiliary from the top. If the side post are overtightend, the insert within will become loose and will not tighten at all. Also, the side post are connect from the top of the battery, so over torquing the side post will not cause a leak to the battery. Now if the top is overtightend, then the possibility is there for the battery to leak.

Please feel free to contact customer service at the number below if you have any other questions. Thank you for your interest and support of Optima Batteries.

Optima Batteries
Customer Service

While this does not help anyone with another brand it dispels the rumor that Optima batteries leak out the side. It will be the brand I buy for the replacement in my 99
Old 03-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
shakainc
Drifting

Sounds like my next battery.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:40 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've had one for 2 1/2 years with no issues at all. I would definitely buy another.....
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm,
I'm sure that I saw a post complete with photo of a leaking side post on an Optima battery ...
Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I was partially wrong... The Optima battery was leaking but from the base of the side, not from the post..
here's the thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...a&forum_id=103
Old 03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
jrc27
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

36 month free replacement also
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got a red and a yellow top..... the red top was in my vette when my truck wouldn't start one very cold morning this winter... took it out of the vette and it started my truck right up
Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Side posts

Why not just change to a top post battery? The later vettes have the top posts in them.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good to know. I've had my Red Top in the car for 4.5 years and not one problem with it.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
The Optima battery was leaking but from the base of the side, not from the post..
here's the thread

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...a&forum_id=103
Old 03-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tiojames
Why not just change to a top post battery? The later vettes have the top posts in them.
Wouldn't you have to install new cables? Besides the AGM are superior batteries. I put in an Exide AGM from SAM's Club, only $95 and best warrenty.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Red top has been in my car for over 2 years and no issues
Old 03-13-2006, 10:07 PM
kingfurook
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

my yellow top is my baby...that battery has lived a dream life...was the heart of a huge stereo installed in a slammed mini-truck, helped crank over a monster 8 sec. nova forawhile, cruised in a bigblock first gen. camaro and now sits comfortly in the garage in the vette....i will never hesitate to buy one again, was well worth the 180 i spent for it a while back

Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by shakainc
Sounds like my next battery.
It is mine, that's good to know!
Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by tiojames
I have an 03 and i have the side posts.But i think the batterys were changed in the later years mine has AGM on it and i don't thnk it is the kind that leaks
Old 03-14-2006, 10:53 PM
BoiseVette
Pro

After sitting all winter a few years ago, my POS lead acid battery leaked into the engine compartment. The real problem was realized when I started having intermittent electrical problems. After not being able to track them down, I took it into my local GM superstore (major high volume dealer with great mechanics) to troubleshoot. The tec opened up the top relay/fuse block next to the battery and removed the 3 huge plug in connectors that screwed in from the bottom of the block. He explained that because this car has a shield around the battery box and the electronics live in the same confined space, lead acid batteries will over time, corrode the contacts within the fuse block from the sulfuric fumes they release. It doesn't even have to have the acid make contact... just the fumes alone are corrosive enough. He was right! About 10 or so of the multitude of contacts had corrosion on the male contact blades (block side). He told me GM should have used Gel cell batteries to begin with, and that he had replaced several wiring harnesses and other electrical pieces from other C5's that had the same problem. Under his advise, I drove that sucker home and took it apart. I soaked everything disassembled in warm baking soda/water solution and rinsed thoroughly. I got some dental picks and cleaned each contact and then packed the whole thing in dielectric grease before reassembly. CRC makes a pressured canister of the stuff and it comes out like thick tooth paste... superior product. Bye-bye problems, and I've got one summer of hard use on it after all that. I guess the GM tec was correct, and I'm a bit pissed at GM for creating such an electrical corrosion hazard.

The tec told me they replace the battery with each new vette they sell and install an optima, and have addressed the corrosion issue with GM several times.

Yes, the red top optima is probably the best common solution for this application and I'm a believer.

BTW, don't AGM batteries still vent fumes to the outside... less than lead acid but more than gel? I know that optima has a small vent, but the nature of gel cells has the minimal gas venting of the bunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Batteries Response to my e-mail

Old 03-14-2006, 11:14 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
I have a 99 that most likely will need a new battery shortly. Since many people have had problems with batteries leaking out the side terminal I thought I'd contact Optima and ask them directly here is their response to my email.

My email:

I have a 99 Corvette that is in need of a new battery. I belong to a web site forum that addresses many issues involving Corvettes. One question that frequently pops up is about batterys. Some people have had problems with side terminal batterys leaking all major brands have been listed. With these cars that is a major problem as there are many eletronic componets located directly under the battery. The acid causes major corsion problems! To prevent this leaking several fourm posts have suggested converting to a top post only model battery. Others have said it is as a result of ovetightening the side post terminals breaking the seal between the case and the terminal. What does your engineering department have to say about this problem?

Optima's answer

The Optima Batteries main post are the top post and the side post are auxiliary from the top. If the side post are overtightend, the insert within will become loose and will not tighten at all. Also, the side post are connect from the top of the battery, so over torquing the side post will not cause a leak to the battery. Now if the top is overtightend, then the possibility is there for the battery to leak.

Please feel free to contact customer service at the number below if you have any other questions. Thank you for your interest and support of Optima Batteries.

Optima Batteries
Customer Service

While this does not help anyone with another brand it dispels the rumor that Optima batteries leak out the side. It will be the brand I buy for the replacement in my 99
I've had my Optima Red for 3 years without any problem..
Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I took a perfectly good oem battery out of my car as soon as I read about the leaking problem on here, and put a red top in.

Jay
Old 03-16-2006, 01:35 AM
slammedwhitec5vert
Drifting

Thats what I got and have had no problems.

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries Response to my e-mail