Sponsored by:

How to: replacing passenger window motor/regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
brett_
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to: replacing passenger window motor/regulator

I replaced my passenger window motor/reg assembly on my '00 coupe a few months back, and since have had a few PM's asking for help. I figured I'd just put a brief writeup here for anyone who might need help, instead of continuously re-writing instructions. Like I said, I've done this write-up a few times, so this one may be a little brief and might need additions. Let me know if there's anything I left out or should add. Thanks.

1) Remove the driver side door panel.

The passenger side door panel can be removed by following the write-up on vette essentials' website. See below for that link.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...or_handle.html

2) Remove the large black rubber seal on the door. (Should be nearly 1 ft x 1 ft) Now you can reach into the door and loosen the clamps that hold the window glass. See the following picture to see the bolt that holds the clamp tight. There's two clamps, one in the front of the door, and one near the rear. Make sure you loosen both and remove the glass.

3) Remove the current window motor/reg assembly. This involves removing 7 bolts AND disconnecting the power plug that connects to the motor. The motor hides behind the middle of the door and is held in by 3 bolts. The other 4 bolts hold the regulator in. See the following picture for the bolt locations. You can remove the power plug either before or after unbolting the motor assembly. I found it easier to do after, but be careful, the power plug does not have much slack.

The seventh bolt can be a little tricky. You can only access it through the bottom of the door, after removing a rubber grommet that covers it. Look at the following picture for an idea of what the grommet looks like.

4) Once you slide the motor/reg assembly out...just reverse all the steps.
Bolt the new assembly in. REMEMBER to hook the power plug back up to the new motor. I'm an idiot and forgot the first time I did it.

5) Place the glass back into the clamps and tighten. You can tighten these clamps rather tight, but be careful not to overtighten, or you may damage the glass.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT, make sure you clamp the glass in so that when the window is rolled all the way up, it fits snug with the rubber molding. If it does not fit tightly, you will get water leaks and have wind noise when driving. It's very irritating, trust me I know.

Good luck and let me know if you need any further help.

-Brett-

Last edited by brett_; 03-13-2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
pvknight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brett is the man!

My driver's window regulator cable had become stretched over time and was no longer tight on the pullies when the window was all the way up or down. The cable started binding once in a while, so I went ahead and replaced the regulator before it left me cold and embarassed (murphy's law applies here).

Followed the instructions above; everything is as stated. Took about 2.5 hours working slowly and carefully. 45min of that was adjusting the window height and fore/aft position to seal perfectly against the weather strip. I compared with the passenger side to get things right.

Some additional hints:

1. Take the time to remove the speaker assembly, just six 7mm screws. Once you do, access to the regulator and window clamps is very easy (roll window 1/2 down).

2. DO NOT cut the "zip tie" that comes with the new regulator. It is not a packaging item, but an actual clip that clips to the door once installed. I of course cut mine, but was able to unzip and reuse the old one.

3. The hidden bolt under the door is the only "adjustable" bolt of the 4 that hold the regulator in. I made sure to reinstall the bolt towards the outside of the bolt hole. This made sure the window rolled up at the correct angle and sealed properly.

THANK YOU CORVETTE FORUM. You just saved me $85-120! (which I'll probably blow on a partition!)

Brian

Last edited by pvknight; 03-14-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:33 PM
sts57c5
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks great instructions

Get notified of new replies

To How to: replacing passenger window motor/regulator

Quick Reply: How to: replacing passenger window motor/regulator