Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone tow a c5 with a dolly

anyone try towing a c5 with a dolly backwards?i have a motorhome
Old 03-19-2006, 08:26 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Raising the rear up on a tow dolly can get the nose so far down that it could very well scrape on the pavement.

Renting or buying a car trailer is the best way. Your motorhome should easily tow the car and trailer.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:40 PM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tow mine all the time. I have a normal 2 wheel dolly. The trick to getting the vette on the dolly is to get a set of step up ramps. The are only about 1.5 feet long and about 7 inches tall. They slide under the dollies ramps so that it picks the nose of the vette up quick and then onto the ramps. You can get them at a good RV parts dealer. You need them to get a camaro on the dolly also. I have been towing mine for a couple of years with out any trouble. The only bad part is you will be shunned by the washers and waxers here on the forum. If it is not in a fully enclosed and a/c'd trailer, it is just not to be done.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:41 AM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertEarl
I tow mine all the time. I have a normal 2 wheel dolly. The trick to getting the vette on the dolly is to get a set of step up ramps. The are only about 1.5 feet long and about 7 inches tall. They slide under the dollies ramps so that it picks the nose of the vette up quick and then onto the ramps. You can get them at a good RV parts dealer. You need them to get a camaro on the dolly also. I have been towing mine for a couple of years with out any trouble. The only bad part is you will be shunned by the washers and waxers here on the forum. If it is not in a fully enclosed and a/c'd trailer, it is just not to be done.
Don't tow it backwards! Very dangerous. especialy if you don't have a steering colum lock.

I thought if you towed a vehical w/ its drive tires on the ground, you could damage the tranny if you don't disconect the drive shafts??
Old 03-20-2006, 09:12 AM
RobertEarl
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is not a drive shaft on the C5 and there is no way to disconnect the torque tube. Mine has been towed about 2200 miles and I have not had any trouble.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I wouldn't tow the car unless it was on a trailer. Dragging the nose ont he ground is not an option. Towing with the drive wheels on the ground (for me) is not an option with the automatic tranny. I'm not sure exactly how the A4 works but I'm thinking it doesn't lubricate itself unless the car is running. That's the case with all other auto transmissions I have dealt with. I'm not sure about the M6, though. I've never had a problem with towing a car with drive wheels on the ground that had a manual tranny. Don't flame me if I'm wrong. Maybe Evil-Twin or somebody could jump in and help clear that up.

Until there are more answers, spend the extra $$$ to get a trailer to put the car on so you don't drive down the road with a bad feeling in the back of your mind about towing the car.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 PM
tonycorvettehd
Instructor

thanks for the info,,,i think im leaning towards a aluminum trailer,,
Old 03-20-2006, 09:53 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

110%
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus
I wouldn't tow the car unless it was on a trailer. Dragging the nose ont he ground is not an option. Towing with the drive wheels on the ground (for me) is not an option with the automatic tranny. I'm not sure exactly how the A4 works but I'm thinking it doesn't lubricate itself unless the car is running. That's the case with all other auto transmissions I have dealt with. I'm not sure about the M6, though. I've never had a problem with towing a car with drive wheels on the ground that had a manual tranny. Don't flame me if I'm wrong. Maybe Evil-Twin or somebody could jump in and help clear that up.

Until there are more answers, spend the extra $$$ to get a trailer to put the car on so you don't drive down the road with a bad feeling in the back of your mind about towing the car.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonycorvettehd
Good choice
Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Originally Posted by tonycorvettehd
Good choice...... besides, if you towed the Vette out in the open, that's considered trolling for Mustangs and Ricers....
Old 03-21-2006, 09:17 AM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ZO6vettepilot
Good choice...... besides, if you towed the Vette out in the open, that's considered trolling for Mustangs and Ricers....
It's o.k. to hunt and go for the kill... but it's illegal to use bait.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Mike McCoy
Pro

You are correct about towing ANY car with an auto transmission. The trans fluid pump is not running and the internal parts are not being lubricated and they will burn up. About an M6 tranny, most standard trans cars can be towed forward, but you are turning some internal transmission parts with the drive shaft. I don't know if the trans/axle setup on the vette creates any special problem though.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Lew W
Racer

DON'T Do IT
Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 PM
smizzz
Heel & Toe

I drive a tow truck and believe me I wouldnt take the chance of towing it from the rear. First, you cant tow it from the front because the trans pump is not running therefore not lubricating your transmission...it will seize. Towing from the back is very possible and if you lock the steering wheel in theroy no damage will be done. But I have seen more cars pop off dollies cause the nose was too low , even with chaulking the wheels up in the dollies for hight. Another small factor is your tires will wear out unevely, and most vette tires are rotational meaning they are designed to rotate forward.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone tow a c5 with a dolly

Quick Reply: anyone tow a c5 with a dolly