Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 CD Changer or Player with stock Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Mike04Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 CD Changer or Player with stock Bose?

So in my last car I had replaced the head unit with an mp3 changer and not having one in the 04 Z06 is driving me insane. I can't stand switching CDs left and right (not to mention just keeping the CDs in the car in the first place.

I have heard that its either hard, or not possible, to install an aftermarket head unit with the Bose stereo unless you replace the speakers as well, due to built in amps in the speakers? Is this true?

If not, then what head units are compatible with the stock stereo and/or what do I have to do to get one to work? If so, is it possible to use the stock "connector" for the CD Changer (I think its in the trunk, right?) and use an MP3 cd changer with it?

I'm just trying to weigh my options right now. I have a baby on the way so the cheaper the solution (without compromising too much on the quality of sound) the better.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Suggest you post over in the audio section, however my understanding is the Bose setup will accomodate a variety of aftermarket head units. I'm in the process of buying and installing an AVIC D1 in my Vette.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Prism911
Drifting

You will need to buy a special 3rd party adapter, but with it you can use about any head unit you desire.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Mike04Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Prism911
You will need to buy a special 3rd party adapter, but with it you can use about any head unit you desire.
Thanks...any idea what the 3rd party adapter is?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
Prism911
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike04Z06
Thanks...any idea what the 3rd party adapter is?
Sorry, I don't know the exact model numbers. I replaced my entire system. Do a search over the audio/electronics section and I'm sure you can find the info.

- Mark
Old 04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
carsandguitars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vette Adapter

Hi;

I am installing an Alpine Head right now and ran into the same exact issue. The problem is that the Bose speakers use two amp because there are two speakers operating separatly. One is highs one is sub. The Alpine could only connect to one of them and I had to purchase an interface that would allow the head to connect properly and still be able to use the stock speakers. (for now) I had a little difficult finding the right part but my installer suggested a pac-audio ADD-VET1 interface. I bought one on ebay last night. You can look for OEM1 Pac Vette in the ebay search or take a look at the one I bought for 50 bones.

[URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=80523 59747&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT]

There are some that are a little cheaper but this one looked like it had the proper connectors. There are three actual pieces for this. I HOPE this will work. I am overnighting it and hope to have it here tomorrow for an install by the end of the week. But according to my guy this is suppose to work, otherwise thew other option is to replace the speakers with aftermarket. But I am told that with the sub box, the Bose should work out ok. I can't hear anything anyway since the B&B Bullets on my Vert drown out everything anyway.

Hope this helps
Dave
Old 04-04-2006, 01:44 PM
epicshooter
Instructor

Default Adapter

I ripped out all the standard stereo stuff in my '04 and did it in stages. First was the head unit and yes a custom adapter is needed to hook into the bose. I have one if you want it- will sell it cheap.
Then I removed all the stock bose stuff (and the adapter) and had custom amp and speakers put in. The stereo I put in is top notch and sounds incredible.

FYI- I do not recomend the adapter route- you will most likely blow the stock speakers if the adapter **** is not adjusted right and you will be very annoyed until you can replace the speakers.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Mike04Z06
Racer

Alright well thanks for the info guys. I think I better just wait until I am ready to replace the entire system and do it all at once. It's just driving me crazy not having the ability to play MP3s! Carrying around loads of CDs is annoying as hell!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
LarryW
Pro

Not sure if my solution is the cheaper route but I'm using an iPod adapter that connects into the factory head unit. The beauty of my setup is that there is no tell-tale sign of a stereo mod, total stealth.

Bought it here: mp3yourcar.com

The cost for the adapter was $189.00 and then an additional $40.00 for the COR-HAR CD-changer harness; this setup connects into the factory stereo system similar to how the factory CD-changer is connected (the connections are made at the passenger fusebox area, two AUX port plugs; very simple plug-n-play solution).

I routed the cable to the "cupholder" and I'm using a special iPod docking station called a spec.dock (2point5.com):

I would LOVE to have a better sounding/looking aftermarket setup, but for now, I'm quite satisfied having 20 gigs of tunes at my disposal

Last edited by LarryW; 04-06-2006 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:27 PM
sage666
Instructor

Here is a copy of one of my earlier posts on adding an auxiliary input adaptor to the stock Bose system in the C5. Feel free to ignore the part about the Garmin and the computer cable.

Per request I am providing a list of the items and sources that I used to install a auxiliary input adapter to my 01 vert so I could use my Garmin 2730 unit with the stock sound system without FM static. I have left out prices as they are subject to change and I am not employed or associated with any of these sources as anything other than a satisfied customer. With those disclaimers, herewith:

computercableinc.com
USB-MiniB5-10 connector
10' USB 2.0 Type A to MiniB 5-pin cable
These two items are strictly for the Garmin unit as the special GSM antenna uses a short USB cable to the unit. They allow me to run the antenna cable around the windshield to hide it.

https://sscelectronics.com
Corvette 97-01 Harness For Non-prewired Vehicle (PIE-COR-HAR)
This item is for cars that have a headunit with the CD/AUX button on it but does NOT have a rear-mounted CD changer. There are two plugs (or should be) in the passenger footwell. The plugs on one end of this cable fit those and the plug on the other end fits the adapter below. There are different ways to run this cable so you may have to experiment.
NOTE: If your headunit does not have the CD/AUX button then you will need a different cable that goes into the back of the headunit.

discountcarstereo.com
Peripherals PXDX AUX2CAR Auxiliary Input Adapter
Cable - PXHGM2 for 2001/Chevrolet/Corvette
This device, using the PXHGM2 cable, connects to the harness above and basically fools the headunit into thinking there is an external CD changer attached. The adapter I received had two input cables for whatever auxiliary device you want to connect. The one I used had a 3.5mm plug which is perfect for the Garmin unit. The other cable had two RCA jacks.
NOTE: This is a universal adapter so you will have to check the application chart to find the cable for your car.

PM me if you have any question.

Get notified of new replies

To MP3 CD Changer or Player with stock Bose?

Quick Reply: MP3 CD Changer or Player with stock Bose?