Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone heard of warranties from GMAC or AUL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Has anyone heard of warranties from GMAC or AUL?

I'm flying out to Austin, TX tomorrow to take a look at two vettes on Monday, a 2002 and a 2003 and maybe finally get one after a few months of searching.

I called Fichtner's Chev and they checked and they're both out of the factory warranty so the GMPP is not an option (really appreciated their help). One dealer is offering a warranty from GMAC; 4 yrs or 50,000 miles $100 deductible for the 2002 and the other dealer is offering one from some company called AUL Corp for $2100, 5 yrs, 50,000 miles, 0 deductible. Both corvette dealers said their warranties were good at any dealer, but Fichtner's said there were a lot of "fly-by-night" warranties out there. Has anyone heard of either of these warranties? Good or bad? Any input would be appreciated. Really don't want to throw my money away on a warranty that might be worthless.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:12 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by rpm462
I'm flying out to Austin, TX tomorrow to take a look at two vettes on Monday, a 2002 and a 2003 and maybe finally get one after a few months of searching.

I called Fichtner's Chev and they checked and they're both out of the factory warranty so the GMPP is not an option (really appreciated their help). One dealer is offering a warranty from GMAC; 4 yrs or 50,000 miles $100 deductible for the 2002 and the other dealer is offering one from some company called AUL Corp for $2100, 5 yrs, 50,000 miles, 0 deductible. Both corvette dealers said their warranties were good at any dealer, but Fichtner's said there were a lot of "fly-by-night" warranties out there. Has anyone heard of either of these warranties? Good or bad? Any input would be appreciated. Really don't want to throw my money away on a warranty that might be worthless.
Don't know the companies, but I would be guided by Ken's advice. Not to state the obvious but did you try running them via the internet to see what you might come up with? Also, you might want to PM Forum Member Sponge Vette. He seems to have lot of access to information about vettes and he may have heard of these guys.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:15 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If I'm not mistaken, GMAC is the financing arm of General Motors (General Motors Acceptance Corporation). I would think that they would be a better bet than the other one. Why not check with Warranty Direct and see what they have to say. They are a major aftermarket warranty company.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Thanks...I did look up the AUL Corp website which was very vague and referred you to the dealer for the details....will look up GMAC now that I know what it stands for and also Warranty Direct.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:43 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Just in case you haven't been keeping up with the financial news, GMAC was recently sold to a Chinese company. I would wonder what kind of pull your dealer would have if there were a dispute on coverage? Just my .02
Old 04-08-2006, 05:05 PM
chocoholic
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie44
Just in case you haven't been keeping up with the financial news, GMAC was recently sold to a Chinese company. I would wonder what kind of pull your dealer would have if there were a dispute on coverage? Just my .02
Huh???????????

For example, here's what the rest of us read about. When exactly did all of GMAC get sold to China?

Cash-strapped General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) announced Monday that it has agreed to sell a 51 percent interest in its profitable financing arm, General Motors Acceptance Corp., in a deal that is expected to net the automaker $12.6 billion in cash over three years.

It will also free GMAC from GM’s junk-bond status, allowing it to borrow money more cheaply. Both GM and GMAC are based in Detroit.

According to a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, a consortium led by New York City-based Cerberus Capital Management L.P. and including Tokyo-based Aozora Bank Ltd. and New York-based Citigroup Inc., will pay $7.35 billion.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

the warranty thru GMAC is actually a GMPP warranty they are the service contract insurers for gm extended warranties. it can be sold on a used vette out of factory warranty. from a gm dlr who is selling the car to you. fitchners cant offer it to you because THEY are not selling you the car. must be sold by selling dlr who did the used car safety/mechanical inspection.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:36 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eddie44
not the correct info, 51% sold to a large company that does have some japanese investers involved. actually did more help to gmac than harm. a large majority of gmac is corp. and commercial property finance. a very large homelender also. what they did was liquidate some of their assets in accounts recieveables to free up HUGE cash flow. kinda like cashing in a time deposit or withdrawing some money out of a savings account sorta speak
Old 04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Warrantee Direct
Old 04-08-2006, 06:00 PM
azmusclecar
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 126 Posts

Why not Google USED CAR WARRANTIES and then check their sites and see which ones have an AM Best rating. I had one with Warranty Direct and they seemed to be financially solvent but no one knows how long that lasts anymore with all the executive corruption going on. Even Hyandai exec had a lot of explaining so it's just not American business. Get as much info as you can and make your decision from there. Good luck on your choice.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

I appreciate everyone's input...nice finding out you always come through with some helpful info.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:29 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

i paid less than $1300 for gmpp major gaurd for a 3yr/30k on a 2000 cpe
granted that is a hair over dlr cost. but just a little guide for ya to use
gmpp major gaurd is the easiest and most comprehensive i have dealt with. never delt with warranty direct before, so dont know about its coverage. have heard of them not allowing coverage for a simple vararamm intake being installed though. with no other mods to the car. if you can i suggest gmpp. like fitchners said they are the preferred. just make sure its major gaurd and pic the deductible. call them back tell them its a dlr you are buying the car from that sells gmpp and he will tell you its available from them for your car. only gm dlrs can sell these to customers.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:35 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by rgtkst
not the correct info, 51% sold to a large company that does have some japanese investers involved. actually did more help to gmac than harm. a large majority of gmac is corp. and commercial property finance. a very large homelender also. what they did was liquidate some of their assets in accounts recieveables to free up HUGE cash flow. kinda like cashing in a time deposit or withdrawing some money out of a savings account sorta speak
Sorry, guess I was misinformed! If it was just accounts receivables that were sold there is no problem. If it was 51% of the company I'd be suspect. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

i paid less than $1300 for gmpp major gaurd for a 3yr/30k on a 2000 cpe
I just paid $1300 on the nose for a 4 yr/32k mile GMPP Major Guard on a 2003 Coupe.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:16 AM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Craig Wagner
I just paid $1300 on the nose for a 4 yr/32k mile GMPP Major Guard on a 2003 Coupe.
you are a shrewed negotiator!!!!!!! you did good!!!

compareble dlr cost considering the age diff of the cars

you have just purchased great piece of mind and security. my nieghbor came over to help, (watch) me do a brake fluid flush today and informed me the gmpp he purchased for his 03 tahoe just paid for itself three fold. his cam shaft flattened out. just a hair under $3300 to fix. cost him $100 deductible. THEY DO PAY OFF!!! i have used them on all but one car. not all paid for themselves but when you add the big repairs on some and average out, they did. and some.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

you are a shrewed negotiator!!!!!!! you did good!!!
Funny thing is, I didn't negotiate that hard. I went to four dealerships in the metro area. The first quoted me $2000, the second $1650, the third $1400. When I went to the fourth he asked what quotes I'd gotten so far, so I told him. He said, "How about $1300?"

I guess sometimes all it takes it to shop around.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 AM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Craig Wagner
Funny thing is, I didn't negotiate that hard. I went to four dealerships in the metro area. The first quoted me $2000, the second $1650, the third $1400. When I went to the fourth he asked what quotes I'd gotten so far, so I told him. He said, "How about $1300?"

I guess sometimes all it takes it to shop around.
ok i have to ask.........who did you buy it from???? initials will tell me. was it on the east side or west side?? or...... down south?? come on, tell me!!!!! it cant be north of town. your in tigard. so i know where you probably started. CA** chev, then i would guess went south to wilso****** chev, then went either down town to went***** chev, then probably to milwaukie to Town&******* chev, or maybe one of the small stores outside of town. who was it????? did you buy the car there?? most people on the forum think you cant buy a gmpp after the fact. i have tried to tell them thats not true...... but..... i have tried to explain how. i guess its better left un mentioned. if you dont want to post it you have to pm the info inquireing minds want to know you could not have went far east to subu**** chev?? and got something for a vett!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone heard of warranties from GMAC or AUL?

Old 04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03

It amazes me how many folks say "extended warranties pay off". Yes, I agree that occassionally they will cover a major repair for someone. Folks GM and all the other companies are selling you an insurance policy. They are not going to loose money on a product or they wouldn't be in business. You are gambling against the company and I can tell you in the long run whose going to win and I'll tell you they win big money on this gamble.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Craig Wagner
Pro

ok i have to ask.........who did you buy it from???? did you buy the car there??
So many questions.

I bought the car at The Chevy Store on Stark. Nice folks to deal with I felt, and the quality of their cars is generally the best in town.

For the GMPP I went to Russ in Tigard ($2000), Wentworth ($1650), Wilsonville ($1400), and Loren Berg in Newberg ($1300). Because of where I am located in Tigard (on 99w across from King City), Newberg is arguable as convenient as Wilsonville.

The $1300 covered the cost of the inspection as well.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

i forgot about loren. well i guessed two right.
see the guy a few up from your last post, doesn't feel them a good thing to have i guess. like i said earlier. when i averaged my experience with them on several cars it has paid off for me and some!!!!!! not to mention i always buy more time than i know i will need so i can cancel them when i trade in and get a prorated portion back.

Last edited by rgtkst; 04-12-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone heard of warranties from GMAC or AUL?