Sponsored by:

Eckler's Console Cushion Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Eckler's Console Cushion Installation

Has anyone installed one of these leather cushions over their old console cushion? The new cushion is a leather skin that stretches over the old cushion. It's supposed to be tight but this is rididulous. I can only get three sides on -- can't get the last side over the old top. Any one have any tricks?

Thanks,
Dave K.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:24 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I have one and love it. I remember having a bit of a time getting it on and straight....but not that bad.

I would suggest heating it a bit with a hairdryer to make it more plyable and see how it goes.

Post a pic when you get it on there !

Last edited by allegro; 04-14-2006 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:04 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

,I recalled it was a little tough, so I kept mine out in the sun so I could stretch it over the OEM part easier. It worked for me.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:10 AM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Kitch
Has anyone installed one of these leather cushions over their old console cushion? The new cushion is a leather skin that stretches over the old cushion. It's supposed to be tight but this is rididulous. I can only get three sides on -- can't get the last side over the old top. Any one have any tricks?

Thanks,
Dave K.
Dave, I took the old covering off and got mine on. Even at that, it wasnt easy. I cant say I'm pleased with it nor the fact that it has to be put on over the old covering. I dont think it is leather either, it looks like vinyl to me.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:04 AM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I just got one from mid america and they sent the wrong color combo so now i am waiting for them to sent me a return lable so i can send it back and get the color i asked for.makes me mad i wanted to get it on the car this weekend along with the wheel skin cover i received also from them.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:19 AM
y2kcorvettebob
Pro

I got mine from VE and it is perfect in every way. Pricey? Absolutly! But you know what they say.......You get what you pay for and you pay for what you get
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Gasser
Instructor

I have a buddy that gave me his old one that he replaced. Looks great on my car and was much easier to put on as he already stretched it out for me. Went on easy and looks great. All the holes lined up and took me all of 5 min. to put it on.

Love how much more comfortable it is now. I love the C5 emblem in it as well.

Good luck with heating it up to put it on.

Jeff
Old 04-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Dave Kitch
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks to all above who suggested heat. Like your Corvette leather seats, the outside of the cushion is vinyl and I used a hair dryer to apply heat to stretch the vinyl in place. Just like installing new eyebrow dash pad skins on a mid year vette -- same principal. The vinyl corner closest to the 4 hinge mount nuts was cut short by Ecklers and after playing with the fit for an hour, I used some clear RTV to cement it down under the cushion and clamped with close pins. Looks very good -- happy with the installation.

Dave K.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:23 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all above who suggested heat. Like your Corvette leather seats, the outside of the cushion is vinyl and I used a hair dryer to apply heat to stretch the vinyl in place. Just like installing new eyebrow dash pad skins on a mid year vette -- same principal. The vinyl corner closest to the 4 hinge mount nuts was cut short by Ecklers and after playing with the fit for an hour, I used some clear RTV to cement it down under the cushion and clamped with close pins. Looks very good -- happy with the installation.

Dave K.
Awesome DIY ingenuity!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:57 AM
charlene
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Dave K.
Gee dave i hope i dont have the same problem you had i ordered a console cover from mid america and i got it friday and it was the wrong color combo so i have to send it back and they are going to send me a new one in the right color combo.The top was suppose to be red and the outside black instead they sent me one with black on top and red on the sides.Did yours come with some kind of tape that is suppose to go on also?If i have to use a hair dryer on mine like you did how do you stretch the cover and hold the dryer at the sametime.Maybe when i get the right console and i have a problem i will drop you and email if i need any help if that is ok with you.......Charlene

Get notified of new replies

To Eckler's Console Cushion Installation

Quick Reply: Eckler's Console Cushion Installation